Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday 24th September 2026

(58 Posts)
Grandmabatty Thu 24-Sept-26 06:46:52

Good morning all from Polmont where it's currently 6° and dry. Still quite dark. Ashcombe I hope your cold comes to naught. Madeleine it sounds like you have another busy day ahead. Bellasnanaenjoy Milo walking!
Yesterday I did some housework and completed the ironing and put it away. Boring stuff but necessary for my peace of mind. Later I went to the health centre to have bloods drawn. She tested my blood pressure and it was only slightly high which is an improvement for me. In addition, when she weighed me, I have lost nearly a stone which is good news too.
Today I have an early haircut at eight. It means I can park right outside and don't have to worry about parking tickets etc. Then I will head to the school library for an hour. Then at twelve I go to the local community hospital for a flu jag. This week has been all about health care!
I ordered a new wreath hanger which should be delivered today, so I can put up my lovely autumn wreath on the front door. Dinner should be chicken curry but I didnt enjoy it last night, so I might have something else instead. Have a good day all.

madeleine45 Thu 24-Sept-26 06:33:14

Good morning Michael and all GN's on what is now normal for here, very dark and still morning, no sound of rain or wind, but that is all I can tell at the moment. I am creaking around, and wish there was the equivalent of WD40 for humans to have a few squirts today. Fingers crossed that I improve during today as it is a day I have been anticipating with both hope and some dread! At last , with texts and organising between us , we have managed to arrange for the cleaners to come, with their friend Amanda - the great key and lost object finder - for a (hopefully!) grand sort out.Amanda's task is to deal with the garden , under my supervision. So she has been previously and is one of those slim and wiry people who somehow seem to have great muscle and ability. So she is going to clear weeds from the borders, and then plant the things that I have been having languishing here for want of my ability to plant them. So sounds odd but this morning, but I have buckets of old washing up water at the ready to try and give some of the hardest areas a soaking this morning, in the hopes that it will be a bit easier for her to work this pm. Then on the inside I am planning a two pronged attack. Getting the lounge cleared and sorted is the major goal, but also it is time for the grand sort out in the wardrobes and drawers, as it is partly the summer/autumn sort out, and a chance for washed but not ironed summer things to be put away in bags in cupboards and trying to also be ruthless and chucking things out as I go. So I need to be in a decisive mood and plan to end with a couple of large bags, full of books and bits and decent clothing ready for the charity shop and a tidier , more organised home, based now on practicalities , of what I need to be able to reach easily and especially change things in the kitchen to help me get around and do things with less frustration. I think I also must have a look round for a new and hopefully quite powerful grabber with some magnet on the end to help me get things up from the floor, when I cant bend to get them. Well best laid plans as they say we shall see what actually gets accomplished later!

Today I am going to get the first load of stuff in the washer and then it is the womens group this morning. I think it is the lovely lady that does the yoga today. Hope so as it would definitely be to my advantage , both physically and mentally to have a session at that before plunging into todays clean up.

Yesterday was a rather frustrating day. I had planned to get out early and do some shopping, and annoyingly queue up to see the wretched bank man at the hub, but hunting first for some forms, took ages to find them, butas I was looking for them ,kept finding other things that needed attention. Much effort made, but whatever I tried to deal with, made some progress, but not enough to finish with it. Most frustrating. I felt I was going round in circles and getting more and more annoyed, and decided I needed to get out and have a break, so texted my friend Heather to meet up at Nero's and set off on the yellow peril.

Arrived at Neros, to find yet again totally new staff , who dont know the system with me and the buggy and the wretched doors, so some kerfuffle getting sorted but finally got myself ensconced in a decent seat and pleased to have my coffee and a chance to calm down. When she arrived , it was good to see her, but we both had poor medical news and commiserated with each other, about the unexpected outcome and what was even more worrying for her, is that the doctors have told her it is hereditary and so she has the unpleasant task of informing her children of this. Of course, she could not have known about this , but nevertheless it all addsto your worries So the only good thing was it does seem to help to talk to someone sensible , who can remind you that it is totally not your fault or that of your parents, when such tests have only recently been available. Bit of a pandoras box though, if at the moment they can discover the problem but have nothing to offer as any form of treatment!

I came back from that feeling very weary, as had been awake so long, but tottered around and put my pork to roast in the airfrier, and had some lovely pork for an early meal before setting off to the whist drive. A very full car park again and a problem parking, but the usual crowd and a very nice evening, despite having some rubbish hands , one with no trumps at all and one with a lowly 2 as the only trump helped not at all and so no nice free range eggs for my tea this week! Came home just in time to sprawl and watch Downton Abbey , whilst making notes on todays plans, so that is the scenario so far. Hoping for dry weather as there are some things that I want tobe put into the garage at the moment, More anon.

Wishing you a good trip on the bus Mick and that you meet some friends,Ashcombe hope they soon solve the mystery with the car. Unfortunately all the extra gadgets etc then have more possibilites of going wrong too! GrandMattie hope the Tai Chi goes well. something I have wanted to start, but so far not found a class near enough or on the right day to hve a go on.

Well a little lighter here and need to shuffle off and let the shower work its miracle and hopefully be ready for this afternoons onslaught. Must buy some biscuits this morning, for the cheering of the troupes this pm. Hope everyone has a successful day, in whatever they plan for the day

Melanie61 Thu 24-Sept-26 06:32:04

Good morning from Sheffield
I have had an awful sinus headache for a couple of days. It seems a bit better this morning. I do suffer with sinus trouble.
I will go for a walk in a bit then I am working this morning.
I have a load of bin bags full of clothes that my son has passed onto his sister for the boys hand me downs. I wish I knew how they have ended up in my dining room!
I think I will take the remainder to the local cash for clothes shop and then donate the proceeds to Children in Need.
Both families are coming for tea later . I have already prepared a moussaka and an apple crumble so just have to reheat them.
Take care everyone flowers

ginny Thu 24-Sept-26 06:29:26

Good morning. I think we are forecast 27 here in Corfu. Looking forward to a full day out touring the north of the island.
Best wishes to all for a pleasant day.

Bellasnana Thu 24-Sept-26 05:29:53

Good morning from Malta where it is much cooler and I slept without the fan for the first time in four months.

The forecast is for a sunny day with a high of 26°C.

Enjoyed coffee with my friend yesterday then had the boys after school until 6pm when their daddy picked them up to take them to visit his parents.

I’ve got Milo dog today as their cleaner will be there. Might even get him out for a walk now the temperature is more bearable.

Sorry to hear you’ve got a cold starting Ashcombe but glad you’ve got your DH to look after you. How annoying about your car.

Have a good day all.🔅

grandMattie Thu 24-Sept-26 05:24:48

Good morning from a dry, chilly Bristol. Alexa tells me it is 9C atm; it seems we’re back to the large diurnal variations.
Yesterday went ok, just the usual FAB cafe.
Immediately after, I helped put up the last pair of new curtains for the hall stage. The old ones must have been about 50 years old and looked it! All very smart now, ready for the vicar’s retirement lunch on Sunday next week.
I seemed to be very tired as I had nearly an hour’s sleep. Once surfaced,I decided that, as it was our useless (but very obliging) gardener’s visit today, to empty my pots.
I took out everything at the two hydrangeas including the tomato plants. These have been amazing - 4 plants have fruited for about 4 months now. I need to find plants for the winter. Although I love bulbs, the squirrels remove every last tulip, and I don’t feel that the dwarf daffodil flowers last long enough. I also don’t know what to do with them after flowering; DD doesn’t want any more. The local plant shop needs visiting!
Today is t’ai chi and dinner at DD’s. Catch up a teeny bit with the family…
May all your difficulties and sorrows be much reduced. Carpe diem🦩🦩🦩🦩

Ashcombe Thu 24-Sept-26 05:12:34

Good morning from Torbay where it’s still dark but dry and peaceful.

We are awake early as I’m fighting off a cold which started yesterday. DH has kindly made TIB which I hope will help us gain more 💤.

Yesterday Wednesday Club restarted with reviews of our two summer plays: Yes, Prime Minister and The Mirror Crack’d. Attendance was good, including some cast members from each production which was pleasing.

The Ford garage was still unable to complete the update on my Puma. This is the second time it’s been in to be done without success. However, I was pleased to note that my car had been cleaned inside and out, by way of compensation, presumably!

Today I have appointments for chiropody and hair so a spruce up from head to toe!

Have a good day everyone!

🦩🥰🦩💐🦩

Michael12 Thu 24-Sept-26 04:58:21

Good Morning Everyone,,
Its dark but dry at the moment here in Brackley .
Todays plans a early bus to Bicester do the usual shop but also have a coffee and chat to those I know.
This afternoon I have a blood test for the enlarged prostrate , return home and watch Word cycling road racing from Montreal on TV .
Health OK,
Take Care,
Mick