Gransnet forums

Chat

Utility furniture

(59 Posts)
HelterSkelter1 Fri 18-Sept-26 09:10:54

I inherited my father's desk which I thought was war time utility furniture and have Googled utility furniture and come up with catalogues and photographs. I cannot find the desk so far, but have seen an oak dressing table we bought second hand for DD1 and some pieces I remember from my childhood.

They were so solidly made. The dressing table we bought in 1980 ish xscond hand or maye even 3rd or 4th hand was wonderful. The drawers slid smoothly and were so solid. We removed the mirror and it could then be used as a desk as well. I think when we moved we had it and a matching large and small wardrobe collected by a charity. I expect they are still all going strong.
If only affordable, simple solid furniture were still produced in the UK.

JaneJudge Sun 20-Sept-26 16:27:10

I use linseed oil on wood. It's fairly inexpensive

JenniRen Sun 20-Sept-26 11:02:03

Use either furniture wax or that spray polish that comes in a tin with a yellow beehive shaped lid, its name temporarily eludes me.
I like that one for teak furniture, M0nica

That polish is called Wood Silk. I use it a lot.
Not easy to find now, Witzend

Witzend Sun 20-Sept-26 10:14:25

M0nica

We have a houseful of old furniture and the house smells as fresh as a daisy. If you are worried, just give it a through wipe through with vinegar and water

A light coat of polish on the outside works a treat. However do not use silicone based furniture sprays. Use either furniture wax or that spray polish that comes in a tin with a yellow beehive shaped lid, its name temporarily eludes me. Lavender bags hanging from some of you coat hangers also works a treat.

That polish is called Wood Silk. I use it a lot.

Witzend Sun 20-Sept-26 10:13:33

AuntieE, we had one of those kitchen cabinets, too - it was yellow - and until recently so did a Swedish friend in her very old house in Majorca! She’s had the kitchen ‘done’ now, but I was sad to see that old cabinet go.

M0nica Sat 19-Sept-26 15:47:52

We have a houseful of old furniture and the house smells as fresh as a daisy. If you are worried, just give it a through wipe through with vinegar and water

A light coat of polish on the outside works a treat. However do not use silicone based furniture sprays. Use either furniture wax or that spray polish that comes in a tin with a yellow beehive shaped lid, its name temporarily eludes me. Lavender bags hanging from some of you coat hangers also works a treat.

Calendargirl Sat 19-Sept-26 14:31:56

That’s the trouble with older furniture, wardrobes, tall boys, dressing tables etc.

They have an old ‘smell’, and it must be difficult to get rid of.

Go round any second hand furniture store, and the smell is there.

JaneJudge Sat 19-Sept-26 14:19:26

Good old Gordon Russell. I have a lovely tallboy that belonged to my Grandparents which has been sandblasted. The wood is beautiful

JenniRen Sat 19-Sept-26 13:30:05

I had my Dad's tallboy, it was very useful in a spare bedroom. Sadly, no longer have it, it must have gone to an Upcycling place when we moved house.

JamesandJon33 Sat 19-Sept-26 11:08:03

We had a Tallboy. Cupboard at the top, two drawers beneath. It had a very funny smell. My parents had it for years and now my DS has it. Still has the same pungent woody smell

Witzend Sat 19-Sept-26 09:03:22

When I was a child we had a couple of utility ‘tallboys’ as they were called. I don’t know what happened to them.

Non-utility, well made ‘brown’ furniture is not much in demand nowadays, so is often available relatively cheaply in charity shops.
Particularly nice or special antique items excepted, of course.

HelterSkelter1 Sat 19-Sept-26 07:49:44

Grammaretto what a history that wardrobe has had. Labelled shelves what a detail to be included in "simple" furniture. Utility furniture seemed to be made with such care.

As I said at the beginning if only similar could be made in the UK. Made with smaller houses in mind and made to last.

Grammaretto Sat 19-Sept-26 03:03:30

I bought from Oxfam a small man's wardrobe for my son's bedroom about 30 years ago. It's fitted with labelled drawers, a tie rack etc.
Last week I gave it to a friend as I am seriously downsizing and as we took it out to her car we noticed it has the utility stamp.
Very pleasing. I had thought it was too ornate, older than that.

JenniRen Fri 18-Sept-26 22:02:05

"I was given a lovely light oak set of furniture and a new bed that didn't have metal springs"

And me! I inherited the middle bedroom when my brothers left home. My Dad decorated it for me, I had a new light oak wardrobe, dressing table, divan bed and a bureau where I was supposed to do my homework. Summertime only, it was too cold in the winter.

4allweknow Fri 18-Sept-26 21:17:35

I remember my parent's utility living room furniture. Big, chunky, dark, and uncomfortable. The furniture in my room was also utility. Knee hole dressing table, big wardrobe and chest of drawers. I was I think 14 when it was disposed of, no idea what happened to it and I was given a lovely light oak set of furniture and a new bed that didn't have metal springs. Utility furniture did last but had a very heavy appearance. Probably the style of the time. I have mainly Ercol furniture. DH made lots of furniture in Ercol style as a hobby. Used to spot a design, he'd copy it with minor changes to accommodate copyright laws.

SueDonim Fri 18-Sept-26 20:17:45

I hadn’t heard of utility blankets so I just Googled them. Some pinky coloured ones came up and I’m pretty sure we had at least a couple of those on beds when I was a child. They were itchy through the sheets if the sheets had worn thin! People were so frugal then, weren’t they? Sides-to-middling the sheets, collar and cuff turning, unravelling outgrown jumpers to knit a new one. I still have a hand-knitted toy from babyhood, which is stuffed with wool that’s been unravelled. This was almost 10 years post-war, too.

Calendargirl Fri 18-Sept-26 19:35:19

Also remember the Utility blankets, but think they are all gone now.

Calendargirl Fri 18-Sept-26 19:34:29

I have a white utility towel that Mum never used.

Lovely and soft, and dries you beautifully.

Thanks Mum, you always said these things would ‘come in handy for someone’.

Grandmama Fri 18-Sept-26 19:29:36

I have a Utility blanket folded into four on top of my duvet. The label reads: Woven wool blanket, 80" x 96", weight 51lbs, price 46/3. The raw edges are neatly edged with blanket stitch. There are one or two moth holes! It certainly keeps me cosy. There's another one in the airing cupboard.

pen50 Fri 18-Sept-26 19:11:35

My son has the utility dining chairs which were a wedding present to my parents in 1952. My mother had the original blue vinyl seats and backs reupholstered in the 1990s but otherwise they are as they were.

Rocketstop2 Fri 18-Sept-26 18:03:57

Shill29

I’m still using the two sets of drawers from a bedroom set that I had 76 years ago when I was 2. They have been repainted several times and the dressing table mirror removed. The last time was last year when I also changed the drawer knobs. The drawers are so much roomier and well made than those you can buy now.

That looks great too and the wooden knobs fit in n icely with mirror and lamp

Rocketstop2 Fri 18-Sept-26 18:02:46

Flibberty99

I have a classic utility chest of drawers, now very fashionably Mid Century Modern of course. It was left behind by the previous owner in the first flat I bought in the 80s. It had many thick layers of paint on it so I recently had it professionally stripped. They did an amazing job because the ply laminate is quite fragile. The only issue being that it is made of several different coloured woods, reddish brown drawers and much lighter ply on the top and sides. I’m currently not quite sure what to do with it - even up the colours potentially with wood stain or just accept them as is and oil it. To my eyes it is very beautiful though, and very much in vogue.

Ooh that's great, I'd leave as is, just oil it as it remains quirky !

win Fri 18-Sept-26 17:59:22

How interesting this is. My late mother in law had a complete bedroom set of furniture of the Mahogany coloured sets. My husband loved it, I hated it, so we stored it on his cousin's farm for years on end until they eventually sold the farm when the milk quota changed. I was happy it was far too big for our rooms then. It went to auction but hardly raised anything.
My late partner had the sideboard in the style of the above chest of drawers in the photo. He was very fond of that, but again I really disliked it. Just shows you what you like is not always the best. I wish I had the solid furniture now. Mind you I bought my Schreiber bedroom furniture in the very early 70s and still have it, it has moved several times and apart from the dressing table which is marked the rest is like new. It still have all the labels in the drawers. I have 7 chest of drawers, 5 wardrobes and a large headboard with side boards included. I still love it. Tried to get the top of the dressing table sanded down, but it has never been done properly just re-laquered.
Funny how fashion changes. We bought our lounge furniture in the late 80s, it is all Mahogany reproduction and to us it was terribly expensive at the time. Now it is not fashionable at all, light furniture even grey & white are, but I still like the dark coloured pieces.

M0nica Fri 18-Sept-26 17:14:22

eddiecat78

I think the utility furniture must have looked very modern and desirable to young families. Don't forget those young married couples would have grown up with very dark ornate Victorian and Edwardian furniture.
The items I inherited were quite pale and "arts and crafts" in style.

You are right eddiecat. The government commissioned the country's top furniture designers to design utility furniture, which was designed to be economical in raw materials (in the way clothes were designed to minimise fabric use) and to appeal to young people.

My parents preferred to bu ysecond hand furniture. In fact I think it is genetic in the family. Both I and my sisters, and my children and now grandchildren go secondhand at auctions, charity shops and ebay before we buy new. DH is the grandson and nephew of an antique dealer and furniture renovator. So I suppose children and grandchildren didn't have much of a chance!

HelterSkelter1 Fri 18-Sept-26 17:07:28

I tell a lie. The shop in Canterbury my parents would have bought their furniture in is Lenleys which has been going for 86 years. I wonder if they sold utility furniture during the 40s and 50s.

butterandjam Fri 18-Sept-26 16:30:06

We have an oak Utility table in the kitchen.

I bought it for £1 at a Scout jumble sale in 1979, cleaned off decades of grime, stripped the heavy dark varnish and re-sealed it. Should last another century or so.