Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Monday 24th August 2026

(50 Posts)
Michael12 Mon 24-Aug-26 05:00:52

Good Morning Everyone,
A dark,dry start here in Brackley this morning.
Up to usual routine after breakfast , and housework with a bus trip into Bicester hopefully chat to people i know.
Health wise seems OK,
Take Care,
Mick

RosesandLilac Mon 24-Aug-26 18:21:07

grandMattie

🤞 at the surgery , r&l.
As for your tomatoes, eat them? 😂. A Greek salad is easy to make and delicious with fresh, home grown tomatoes. Otherwise, cook them done and frzzetheresult, either in ice cubes of portions, then you have super fresh tomatoes sauce fin the winter.

grandMattie I’m having tomato salad made from the mega sized tomatoes, with mozzarella and basil 😋, french stick to mop up the juices!
GP happy with my BP but apparently my kidney function is concerning and indicating kidney failure! Honestly I need to stop seeing anyone medical, I’m clearly past my sell-by date 🫣😵‍💫😁

Matza Mon 24-Aug-26 15:10:55

Thank you for your kind welcomes! I'm mostly a lurker, but occasionally pop up. It's so lovely having a little peek into what everyone is up to in their daily lives!
Fred the cat has moved from the sunny patch on the rug to a sunny patch on the settee. He looks exhausted from the effort!grin

monk08 Mon 24-Aug-26 12:08:03

Welcome Matza 👋

Redcar Mon 24-Aug-26 11:26:09

marydoll we always found that mice came in twos, so having trapped one we left the trap set for the other one!

Welcome matza.

Blossoming Mon 24-Aug-26 11:21:21

Good morning everyone from sunny 19° Lancashire.

As usual MrB and I have had a lovely walk along the dockside, bird watching. The Dock gates are open so no woodland walk today. I love seeing the deep blue of the sky reflected in the water.

Wishing you all a good day whatever you’re doing 🌹

latedecember1963 Mon 24-Aug-26 10:40:39

Good morning everyone from Lancashire.
There's a 'September back to school' feel in the air this morning. I think the heavy dew will burn off and hopefully we'll be able to be in the garden later.

We had a good journey back from Anglesey yesterday. We've done really well this year with the travelling back and forth.

This morning's OMG moment came as I was getting dressed. I could hear the little chap chatting to his teddies when there was a thud which I thought was him dropping a book out of his cot.

I turned around and he's standing next to me grinning! 😁 He's worked out how to vault out of his cot. 😯

I think DH and I will be looking at beds on Amazon this evening.

No real plans for today. When we come back from a couple of weeks at the caravan I like to give him chance to get reacquainted with his home toys and play in the garden.

Enjoy carpet hunting, Ginster. It's always worth paying for quality for things for your home that need to last. My Dad always said, " Buy cheap, buy twice."

You've a lovely day for RHS Bridgewater, Gelissa. We love it there. An amazing oasis next to a busy motorway.

Hope your mousie friend is just full of Toblerone, Marydoll, and not a litter of babies! 🐁🐀🐁🐀

Welcome, Matza.

Wishing you all a lovely day. 🌻

aggie Mon 24-Aug-26 10:38:09

Good morning from Co Armagh I’m in Costa after getting my specs
Toddler is staring at me , so took my phone out to avoid her gimlet gaze !
All the best for a good day

Puss Mon 24-Aug-26 10:19:19

Good morning everyone from Belfast.
Yesterday was church in the morning. DD went to Dublin just for the day it was my turn for dinner so I didn't have to rush.
She came home about 5pm so dinner was kept warm.
Today I am going to get my glasses these are my previous ones I thought I would get my new prescription in them. They are blue and I have lots of blue clothes.
DH is hovering waiting on me.!!!!
Have the best day everyone and keep safe.

Susan56 Mon 24-Aug-26 10:00:40

Good morning from Shropshire.Another warm day ahead.

We are looking after DGD’s dog until tomorrow.Not as relaxing as normal with her as she has been unwell and is very subdued.We have to give her antibiotics twice a day and shorter walks.She is no bother but we will be relieved when they collect her tomorrow.She is so precious to DGD and we hope they see an improvement when they collect her🙏🏻

I am meeting a friend for lunch which I am looking forward to.

I wish someone would help with our garage Marydoll.We have done a lot and it is looking quite neat.DD took one look and said there’s still a long way to go🤷‍♀️😂

Hoping that madeleine is feeling better today.

Wishing everyone a good day.🦩🌻

grandMattie Mon 24-Aug-26 09:52:00

🤞 at the surgery , r&l.
As for your tomatoes, eat them? 😂. A Greek salad is easy to make and delicious with fresh, home grown tomatoes. Otherwise, cook them done and frzzetheresult, either in ice cubes of portions, then you have super fresh tomatoes sauce fin the winter.

Sueinkent Mon 24-Aug-26 09:49:04

Morning from East Kent by the sea. Sunny intervals but chilly breeze off the North sea.

Matza Mon 24-Aug-26 09:29:11

What a lovely thread! Good morning to you all from sunny Lancashire. A bit of a chill in the air earlier. Currently 16c but apparently will rise to 22c lately.
I've been sanding down an old pine coffee table and hope to do it up a bit as there is still some life in it yet. A bit like myself!
The grandchildren are due back today and I've been cat sitting Fred who has been living his best life on his holidays here. He's found a patch on the rug where the sun streams through the window. Cat bliss!
Have a pleasant day everyone and sending best wishes to you all.

hollysteers Mon 24-Aug-26 09:26:38

Good morning from Sunnyside Sandhills northwest coast.
My last post disappeared due to a virus warning which is popping up regularly.

A few quiet days before work starts on the house on Thursday.
A recommended eyebrow practitioner cannot fit me in until February! One has to be careful, a friend has microbladed eyebrows which look like tadpoles. First world problems, but I have no eyebrows these days and would like some, even though I’m a dab hand with a pencil.

Sorry you are unsettled baubles, thoughts to Gingster and Madeleine🌺

Georgesgran Mon 24-Aug-26 09:22:55

Good Morning from Durham. It’s a beautiful start to the day and temperatures should reach 19c.

A busy weekend and by the time DD2 and DGS2 left last night, I was exhausted and the place was like a bomb site! Took ages to clear it all away, then I took Little Dog out for a second walk.

Back to routine today, and I’m meeting a friend for coffee this morning. Later, I’ve a small gift to drop off with SinL for DD2, as they’ll be away for her birthday.

Best wishes to all. X

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 24-Aug-26 09:07:31

Marydoll - various ice creams currently spread across three freezers, the following: Lemon, chocolate peppermint, clotted cream, vanilla (two different types), honey (using OH’s honey), marmalade (made using rindless marmalade) and blackcurrant and raspberry. Phew. I will make chocolate when the new machine arrives. It is a Cuisinart.

Also, borrow a cat!

baubles Mon 24-Aug-26 08:41:42

Thanks Marydoll, I definitely have to try to think clearly about this.

Could you borrow a cat to solve the mouse issue? DS did that several years ago when he lived in an old tenement and had unwelcome visitors, his friend’s cat saw the off and they didn’t return.

BTW what is the facial gadget you have?

NannyJan53 Mon 24-Aug-26 08:36:14

Good morning from a bright and sunny Black, but not hot now.

Line Dancing today, although feel headachy this morning, so see how I feel later. Very rare that I have headaches.

Had a message in my inbox from someone called Donald from Texas wanting to be my friend! Will pass on that smile

TheWeirdo enjoy Worcester, we go fairly often. The Premier Inn is in a lovely spot right by the river.

Wishing you all the best day possible.

Marydoll Mon 24-Aug-26 08:33:10

Baubles 💐
You have to look at the bigger picture.
What is the effect of those volunteers' resignation? I understand their point, but will the charity suffer in the long run from the resignations?
Think of yourself and what is best for you.

P.S. I have a gadget, which defuzzes my face, but it never defeats that single hair!

I forgot to say our, resident and highly intelligent) mouse ran over my foot last night, when I went into the kitchen. I was screaming like a banshee.
We have tried traps, poison, blocked up any holes in the decking etc, to no avail.
I noticed it was rather fat, probably because it are a whole Toblerone!
I think we need to call in the professionals.

EkwaNimitee Mon 24-Aug-26 08:30:05

Good morning Mick and everyone from sunny Carlisle where it was 10°C at dawn, but warming rapidly.
I've just returned from an early walk in the park in the rather fresh air.

Yesterday I went to the further garden centre for a coffee then rounded up some plants I needed, now to plant them! The ground is drying out again but rain is forecast this coming week.
It was home just in time to donate more unwanted stuff to a freegler, now for another look round for things I don't need or use.
DS1 rang in the evening then I read my book and the remains of the paper.

Today will be a morning spent at the usual chores and the afternoon at the computer planning holidays for next year.

Wishing you all a pleasant day.

Jaxjacky Mon 24-Aug-26 08:26:47

Morning from a bright S Hants, 23 due later.
A well deserved rest Ashcombe after a successful run.
Yesterday was quiet, usual Sunday, today voluntary phone, couple of other phone calls to make and a quick dust around.
It was quite noisy here about 7am, geese flying over, seagulls and squabbling magpies.
Have a pleasant day all.
🦩🦩

Grandmabatty Mon 24-Aug-26 08:24:39

Grammaretto, the problem of not proof reading before posting! Definitely stovies. 😂

Gingster Mon 24-Aug-26 08:23:10

Good morning all and the weather, for me, is perfect, cool and sunny.

My db and his wife came for coffee, cake and sherry yesterday morning. Dh didn’t say much but was quite friendly towards them. DS1 popped In to pick up DGD birthday present as she goes away today with her friends to Spain.

Today my oldnrighbour/good friend is picking me up to take me to their carpet shop to choose new carpets for two bedrooms, downstairs study and conservatory. They have owned their shop for over 50 years and the son and grandson now run it. Always been a bit pricey but good quality and good fitters.

I’ll get the bus back and hope my sore foot holds out.

Take care all 🌻

Marydoll Mon 24-Aug-26 08:22:06

Good morning from Glasgow, where it is a sunny 6° C.

A very restless night, due to excrutiating pain levels. I woke myself up, shouting out! I woke DH too! 😁

I did very little yesterday, apart from supervising DS2, who decided our garage needed tidied. It did 😉,
There was no Babydoll, because the real purpose of his visit was to borrow our multi position ladders.
I gifted them to him, that way, there is no way DH will be able to use them.😉
I am becoming quite smart.
It took a lot of shifting items to get to the ladders.
How many single pairs of gardening gloves do you need mum.? 😆
He has offered the services of DIL2. She works as project manager for the Museum Services (her dream job) and will have it sorted in no time, said DS.
I am too embarrassed to let her do it. It is like a nuclear bunker. I found seven bottles of laundry detergent! 😊

DS started rummaging about, then I realised, he was approaching the items, I was planning to put in a gardening gift box, for their Christmas: a sextant, a sundial, skittles, boules. I practically threw myself on them.
DIL, loves our garden and often jokes she will liberate those particular items from our garden, (assisted by Babydoll,) 😂
I have gradually been picking them up in the sales.
DS left with strawberry tarts, Babydoll's favourite) caramel tarts, crafting items for DIL and of course the ladders.
He said, just to call him DD from now on, because she always leaves with a stash of goodies.

I will go down to Mass today and tidy up after the weekend. Also, I have a repair job to do on the visiting seminarian's cassock, it needs a strip of velcro at the neck.

Llfl, I have a Ninja ice cream maker. My favourite ice cream is dulce de leche, made with a tin of Carnation Caramel.
Unfortunately, I haven't felt well enough to use it this summer. My friend Mr Lidl kept me going with mint chocolate ice lollies, they are addictive.
What flavours do you make?

Madeleine, I hope you are starting to improve, it was the painful itch and that feeling of tight, stretched skin, which drove me to distraction.

Best wishes to all, especially to those struggling.

Have a pleasant day folks.

baubles Mon 24-Aug-26 08:17:49

Good morning from sunny South Lanarkshire. I think it’s to be a fine day.

I’m feeling unsettled as there are changes afoot and as well as that I’m worrying about a problem in the family.

Our priest is being moved to a larger parish as it’s thought his energy and skills will be put to good use, we are however going to have a permanent parish priest for the first time in several years.

Two of our charity shop managers have been dismissed for not following proper procedures and while I agree they were wrong I do feel that the outcome is disproportionate to the situation. I’m aware that I’m probably not in possession of all the facts bit it seems to have been handled very poorly and at least six volunteers have said they won’t return. I feel torn, part of me feels that perhaps I should resign in solidarity however the person who would be most affected by that is me as I do enjoy it and feel that I’m contributing something useful. A dilemma.

Anyhoo today I’m off to have all the peach fuzz removed from my face,, I hate all the hairs which sprout from my chin so I have this facial as a treat to myself every couple of months.

We will probably take the dog for a
long ish walk this afternoon to try to clear my head.

Wishing everyone the best day possible.

Grammaretto Mon 24-Aug-26 08:16:25

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders. I think today will be sunny again.

Exercise class first thing and chiropractor this afternoon.

I'm viewing a house this evening for a second time with 2 friends. I have been trying to imagine living there!

I've been offered several places to stay so I won't be homeless if I can't find the right house to move into.

Today I shall glaze pots so they can be fired ready for our open studios and arts trail next week.

A busy time. I am glad you are able to relax again Ash but it must be very enjoyable being so involved with the theatre.

I laughed at stories for the boys' dinner. Grandmabatty. I presume it was stovies?
Both sound nice. 😊

Enjoy your Monday everyone.