Gransnet forums

Chat

Is this grounds for divorce?

(49 Posts)
kittylester Fri 21-Aug-26 14:34:19

We are having some roofing work done soon and DH (81 but quite fit) decided he would go up and see for himself before the roofers came to quote. I shoild add that we have used the same roofers for years and they are very trustworthy.

He missed his footing, stepped out of his shoe's and cut his foot on a slate. It bled profusely and we are on the way to the urgent care centre.

foxie48 Sat 22-Aug-26 18:32:29

I thought I'd solved the issue by banning ladders but allowing hiring a cherry picker. That was until OH had the cherry picker stop working whilst he was 25 ft up in the air but near enough to our conservatory roof (which is partially solid rather than all glass) for him to climb across it and in through a landing window. It has stopped because he had accidentally knocked the "stop" button. Duh!

kittylester Sat 22-Aug-26 17:11:07

Oh lordy!! grin

cornergran Sat 22-Aug-26 16:58:35

Have to admit here I love using a small chainsaw type machine. It’s all mine 😂😂

midgey Sat 22-Aug-26 16:24:04

Hmmm….I'm not sure it’s just men! I was just going to borrow some ladders to clean the gutters…..

Labradora Sat 22-Aug-26 15:02:27

Holy God men do ridiculous things on ladders. Merely in his 60s the OH had a ladder balancing on an uneven surface: one leg on a piece of rock that had one flat surface among many others that weren't flat and the other on the lawn that was not that flat either.
No harm no foul but for crying out loud.
In his early 80s now. A bit more careful but still up the big ladder given half a chance and he's been on the roof.

eddiecat78 Sat 22-Aug-26 15:02:07

Mine also has a chain saw - and a penchant for shortening trees. I stand at the bottom of the ladder with my phone ready to call 999

Bukkie Sat 22-Aug-26 14:47:35

Painting not painted.

Bukkie Sat 22-Aug-26 14:47:15

Parsley We did exactly the same with my Grandad many years ago when he was in his 90s. Borrowed the ladders and never returned them. He had fallen off the shed roof painted it when he was 92.

AGAA4 Sat 22-Aug-26 14:41:03

Oreo

They all do it don’t they? All men have a microchip in their heads that tell them they’re devastatingly handsome, can do all manner of DIY as well if not better than a tradesman and are around 30 years of age.🤭

Spot on. Apart from being the best drivers on the road.

Oreo Sat 22-Aug-26 14:32:34

They all do it don’t they? All men have a microchip in their heads that tell them they’re devastatingly handsome, can do all manner of DIY as well if not better than a tradesman and are around 30 years of age.🤭

cc Sat 22-Aug-26 14:21:25

On the chain saw issue, I used to hate him using the huge one, but he now has a lovely little battery operated one which is much more controllable and less dangerous. He can still use it to cut hedges, it just takes a bit longer, and he can only do a certain amount before the battery runs out so he doesn't get so exhausted.

Deedaa Sat 22-Aug-26 14:05:59

My husband had beenill with cancer for some years and was very weak from the illness and the chemo, but he decided to build a garden shed! he bought one of the metal ones that you just have to screw together, really too big for him to manage on his own but there was no arguing with him. It was pretty much finished when he stepped back and fell down the stone steps to the lawn. He got off quite lightly but had stripped a whole lot of skin from one arm. A district nurse had left behind some of the dressings that absorb all the blood and gunge from wounds, so I used them and it all healed up quite nicely in the end. The shed was a disaster. Being metal it caused lots of condensation and everything in it rusted or went mouldy. After he died my son took it down and replaced it with a nice greenhouse.

grannyqueenie Sat 22-Aug-26 13:45:24

Good luck with that cornergran. It may be time to consider hiding every pair of trousers he has and hope he’ll be too embarrassed to attempt it in his underwear! grin

cornergran Fri 21-Aug-26 23:10:35

While I’m pleased there’s no lasting damage kitty I do share your frustration and yes, hide the key to the ladder lock or get family to remove it.

Mr C, 83 , with a repaired mitral valve and dubious balance, is determined to climb onto the bungalow roof so he can wash the rear of the large conservatory roof. So far I’ve deterred this madness with weather forecasts - too hot, sun is too bright, it’s too windy the water will soak next door - or by encouraging an outing preferably with food. We’ve a new hose, don’t want to damage it, he doesn't need a long ladder just steps to get onto his pride and joy, a mini tower, which is too heavy for me to move even if there was somewhere to hide it. Apparently the forecast for Sunday is ideal, he’s looking forward to it. Help!

grumppa Fri 21-Aug-26 22:59:43

I had to go up in the loft a couple of weeks ago - not a pleasant experience.

JenniferEccles Fri 21-Aug-26 22:49:28

Life is funny isn’t it?
We start off with children who we have to keep safe of course, including the worrying years when they are newly qualified drivers.
Then they grow up some more, move out and start their own lives with their own families and life for women our age should calm down, and it does for a number of years.

But, then our sensible capable husbands become elderly and insist they can still do what they have always done around the house (and outside!) and the worry starts all over again!

I have a ladder- climber too, although in all fairness he does restrict himself to the flat roof above the garages!

I’m pleased your husband suffered no lasting damage kittylester

JenniRen Fri 21-Aug-26 22:36:10

Is this a first offence?

If so, then community service might be appropriate. See how he is at washing up, hanging out the laundry, ironing and vacuuming before sentencing him to divorce.

Harris27 Fri 21-Aug-26 22:30:20

Love this thread needless to say I own one the same as yous ladies. 😄

Jaxjacky Fri 21-Aug-26 20:44:38

What a numpty kitty bread and water along with very hard stares for at least 48 hours…I’m glad he’s ok - now to enforce ‘keeping the foot up’, good luck.

kittylester Fri 21-Aug-26 20:27:17

Our roofers are very trustworthy and have looked after our roof for ages - he did not need to check. There were loads of other things, at ground level, he could have done.

MT62 Fri 21-Aug-26 19:59:43

Ahh no. I don’t blame him for wanting to take a look, especially in this day & age of so many dodgy trades men.
If it’s someone you already use & trust, then maybe a good rollicking is needed, so he doesn’t do anything as daft again.
Maybe you could get him a drone for Christmas 😊

kittylester Fri 21-Aug-26 19:05:29

Definitely well done to Parsley's son. Ours are padlocked to a hanging thing in the garage - i'll find the key and lose it. Xx

kittylester Fri 21-Aug-26 19:00:36

We are home now and no lasting damage - just to keep his foot up fir a week.

Ye gods, J52. shock Dh lent his to a son in law. I shall tell him to keep it.

Grammaretto Fri 21-Aug-26 18:53:51

Well done Parsley's son
Definitely grounds for divorce Kitty
I hope he is ok and gets a big row at A&E so you don't have to.

J52 Fri 21-Aug-26 18:41:02

kittylester

J52

I hope your DH recovers soon. You won’t be surprised to hear that mine does similar things!

Never, J52.

Well yes! He’s also got two chain saws! 😮