Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday 21st August 2026

(60 Posts)
Michael12 Fri 21-Aug-26 05:00:05

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark but its dry outside here in Brackley this morning.
Up to my usual routine with a bus trip into Bicester , do a shop and hopefully chat to those I know.
My health's OK .
Take Care,
Mick

dragonfly46 Fri 21-Aug-26 08:32:22

Good morning from sunny Leicestershire where we are due more rain today. The grass is already looking greener.

We had fun finding the egg farm yesterday. I think we drove past it twice but I did eventually get my eggs.

Today I am seeing my lovely Osteopath. I can show him my MRI results and he can translate them for me.

Hope you have a lovely holiday GG and good luck with your eye appointment Gingster.
Your move is now looming Gramaretto I hope your back is better and you find your dream house.

Wishing everyone the best day possible.

Susan56 Fri 21-Aug-26 08:27:00

Good morning from Shropshire.Dry at the moment.

We took the grandchildren to Powis Castle yesterday afternoon.Just as we arrived there was torrential rain and very quickly the car park had streams of water running down.DH and the children are Welsh, the children are learning to speak Welsh but there were lots of new words at the castle yesterday so they decided if they didn’t know a word they would put an o on the end of the English word.Cue much hilarity from us and other visitors!

Today DGD wants to go into town and DGS wants to work in the garden with grandpa.

Congratulations to all the grandchildren on their results.

Wishing everyone a good day🦩🌻

EkwaNimitee Fri 21-Aug-26 08:26:56

Good morning Mick and everybody from a fresh and sunny Carlisle where it was 9°C first thing.
I've been for an early walk though had to slacken pace near the end as it's obviously a bit challenging for the pulled calf muscle and my poor old knees. I'm thinking of trying a physio.

Yesterday the rain soon dried up. I got out into the garden later and started transplanting my many young foxgloves. There's a lot still to go....
I spent a lot of time on the computer doing mostly boring stuff and more to come today. I hope to carry on with the foxgloves but we'll see. Reading beckons. In spite of a vow not to buy any more books this year, I bought yet another yesterday by the Japanese author of the moment, Uketsu. Requires brain input from the reader to solve things so I may not get far!

Best wishes to you all.

madeleine45 Fri 21-Aug-26 08:26:29

Good morning Michael and all GN's on a slightly breezy, dry sunny morning but that delicious coolness so far.

I always said to exam takers, whether old or young, as a teacher or a friend, Well done for all your efforts and hard work. Whether you are relieved and excited at the success , which will allow you to go on to your next step, or if you feel deflated , when you just miss a grade you want, or find you have failed this time, and may have to think of resits, you worked hard and did your best. It isnt even about what others think of your efforts. Inside you, you know if you did the best you could with the work. So even if you have to rethink short term goals , everyone of you is a success, through your learning -about learning.

Now you can look back and see how many important life skills you have learnt. How to stick to your long term goals, when your plans are interrupted, by illness, weather changes, family worries. How we all have to make those decisions, when that sudden opportunity to skive off to see that concert, when you have been getting behind with your revision plans, and yet you chose the right path and carried on with your efforts.

Having also helped many people to adjust and think again, when their longed for goals seem lost for ever, what can seem a very bitter end to their dreams, with nothing to look forward to, may turn out to be just a twirl in the maze. Of course we need to have those goals, but it can mean other ways have not been looked at. So if you have to go for resits, you will look back in the future when things are hard, and remember that you can always pick yourself up and have another go. Alternatively I have known quite a few people , who have then chosen another path and 10 years down the line, have said how much happier they have been in a different situation they might never have known about.
Lastly, dont forget, in this moment , everyone is wishing for a good grade, to achieve their places on courses , to thrill their families and themselves when they are applying for jobs and filling in cv's . Yet if you notice, once you have begun your working life , the only things that people tend to say, is that they have a degree or the apprenticeship that is needed .So now is the time to rejoice in maybe silly - but safe- ways. Go to the seaside with friends and run in the cold waves , and write silly messages in the sand. Find a pleasure beach and go on the big dipper. Get on your bikes and ride off for a picnic and let yourselves relax. Well done every one of you, and to all the great support you have had from long suffering parents and grandparents , who have been there to help, hug, console and nag about bedtimes and eating etc. Here endeth the lesson!

I said good morning and hope that it is truly such for all of you, but for me it is definitely not a good morning. Yesterday descended into a day that got worse and worse , and this morning is going to be difficult too. My plans yesterday to go and do things I needed to do and be back before the cleaners came, did not work out. My back was extremely painful, and didnt ease at all, so therefore I was going at tortoise rate. Nothing went smoothly, and I had only had some cereal before I went out, so ended up having to also delay myself , by going into cafe nero for a much needed coffee but most of all a chance to sit down and take some painkillers. Had an appointment which I HAD to deal with and they were running late. Had to go to the chemist to pick up prescription as down to the last couple of tablets for one thing, and our chemist is extremely busy and hardworking but have recently stopped working at weekends. Got there and quite a big queue, but finally got myself home. Had missed the cleaners, but they had put the washing out on to clothes horse on the front, as there was possibilties of showers, and I cannot rush these days down to the washing lines before it all gets wet again. Came in, and had to just sit down in a chair to let the pain ease off a bit, and got my bag of prescriptions , which are all sealed up, and opened them to check and they have missed one out!. Not like them but will have to go back and sort it. I was in that state where you just cant make the effort to make anything to eat, but eventually about 2pm hunger got me going. I just made myself a boring sandwich and a much needed coffee and sat with my leg up on a cushion as it was very painful and wedged myself with more cushions to help my back.

I slowly got myself together and checked through some emails and so forth and then there was a sudden shower. Delighted as I was to have more rain, I struggled to hobble to the door to rescue the washing , only to find that the wind had blown them down and there they were getting wetter and dirtier. No one around and I it took an effort to rescue them. Returned to sit down and ignore them.

About 6ish I thought , I would look in my little freezer, which is the bottom part of a combination fridge freezer, and see what I had that would take very little reheating or whatever., for dinner. Oh no! Another disaster, the sealing bit that you close the doors onto to make it airtight was loose, and I couldnt do anything with it and of course everywhere was shut, Tried to text a couple of friends for good ideas but they obviously didnt see them. Rang another one and she was out! In the end I just couldnt deal with it last night and so just kept the door closed tight and wedged, to face it this morning. I know that I will have to sort it out, and hope it can be mended, cook all the defrosted meat etc and hope that it will be sorted in time for me to refreeze as cooked meals , or alternatively hope that friends will see the texts this morning and I will be able to go to neighbours and hope that they might have some space in their freezers for me for a short time. Otherwise it will have to bring a bit of luck to someone else and I will cook things and give them away for people to enjoy. My precious little piece of lamb that I was hoarding for some celebration meal if the family came or for a treat!!!!

While all this has been going on, I had a dreadful night with very little sleep at all, between pain and worry and added to all that I have previously had cellulitis , and probably all the standing around etc yesterday didnt help. So ,this morning my leg is very swollen, red , and appreciably more that the other leg, so my trip to the chemist is also going to mean that the freezer saga will have to wait, as especially as it is friday, I need to get an emergency appointment with the doctors . It has reoccured before, and the important thing to head it off at the pass is to get the right medication as soon as possible and then ,of course, sit with the leg up etc etc. Hopefully I wont have to go to the hospital and end up having daily injections or the worse time they wanted to take me in!!

So right now, I am saying to myself the freezer is nothing, it is only money, and I have lived without one before. Even having to throw food away, is of no consequence compared to the top of the list to keep myself going and not end up in hospital. So I am just about to set off and will hopefully come back with better news soon. What do they say? It never rains but it pours! Well practically speaking do carry on but please count me out !

I will return to read more of all your happenings and hoping there will be much happiness and relief for all looking at exam results. Hope my saga will be an improving one, or at the very least not get any worse!!

Liberty Fri 21-Aug-26 08:21:34

Good morning from a sunny but cool Suffolk where e very thing looks fresher after heavy rain yesterday. It lasted for about half an hour during which there were 2 power cuts but luckily everything,including the WiFi came back easily.

Our 2 DGC got the GCSE results they were pleased with and both,I think,realised the value of doing some revision!
Well done to all the others and I endorse what has been said about the difficulties of exam times for those who are not academic. Other talents and skills are just as valuable and very much needed.

I have a hair appointment this morning.DH calls it my bring back the local gossip hour and then I’m meeting a friend for lunch in a local hotel overlooking the river in a nearby market town. The terrace has tables and umbrellas so I hope we can get one as they can’t be booked in advance.

Hope today is a pleasant one for all.

Usedtobeblonde Fri 21-Aug-26 08:18:23

Good morning from a cooler but sunny Stockport.
I have had a disturbed night, no change there, but don’t feel too tired.
My GS who is autistic exceeded our expectations in his GCSE results, we are so happy with and for him.
He is now due to go to 6th form college to do A levels in Photography and film making but that will be a challenge as new experiences are difficult for him and it is very large.

I inadvertently upset my friend across the road and she told me so, I was mortified, she just took something I said the wrong way, cue lots of apologies from me and we are out for a meal together tonight.

Happy holidays GrannyG it is now 8 years since I had a real holiday but I just don’t miss them, old age does have some compensations.
My D is in Zante and is finding the heat too much.
She lived in Antigua for three years but now struggles with hot weather.

Have a good day everyone or at best a decent one.

Greyduster Fri 21-Aug-26 08:15:13

Good morning, Michael and all GNs from South Yorkshire where the sun is shining after yesterday’s horrendous downpours. I’m very glad - DD and SiL are having their roof replaced and it means the roofers can get on with what is a very big job.

I am struggling with a really bad cold at the moment and it looks as if I will face another day of sore throat, coughing and sneezing before it finally moves on. I am drowning in a sea of - well, never mind! There are worse things, I know! I need to stop feeling sorry for myself and get some fresh air today.

Have the best day you can, folks.

Gelisa Fri 21-Aug-26 08:13:20

Good morning from Morecambe Bay. It lots pleasant enough after yesterday’s torrential rain when we literally got soaked to the skin while out with CDog. So different to just one week ago when we were struggling to cool down.
I postponed my visit to Bridgewater until Monday and was so glad. I wouldn’t have enjoyed the drive down the motorway with the weather as it was.
You may have read about the buckwheat problem with dog food. It’s the brand we buy for my dog. He’s not been affected thankfully but we had to throw away £100 of food which is probably unaffected. The firm e mailed to say they had refunded me for my last order but when I looked on my statement they had taken a payment instead! Lots of annoying phone calls to the credit card company and e mails but I’m pleased to stay that by last night the payment had disappeared from the statement. I still await the refund. The food suits CDog and I feel for the company but also sad for the poor affected dogs and their owners. There’s a lot of bitterness on the internet about it all and I sense some people are enjoying exploiting things. That’s not to underestimate the genuine anguish and worry some people are experiencing.
Congratulations to those grandchildren achieving good results in recent exams, but also a thought to those children who we keep quiet about because they have underachieved.
For those on holiday, enjoy and safe travels, for those who need to take it easy, do so.
Take care🌸

Marzipan22 Fri 21-Aug-26 08:13:10

PS for Grandmabatty. I lost one of my very favourite earrings two months ago. It turned up in the flower of a calla lily on my patio. You couldn't make it up!

Marzipan22 Fri 21-Aug-26 08:11:01

Good morning from Cornwall where all my patio plants are delightfully damp. Yesterday I sewed the little swing jacket I'm making from two pairs of men's jeans. So far, so... well, interesting! grin I did take a break half way through to meet a friend for coffee and collect a prescription. I originally met my friennd when she was employed by the council to accompany my blind daughter on her weekly trips to boarding school in Exeter, so we go back 42 years. So precious.

My eldest grandson had mixed GCSE results, as he couldn't even get to some exams, but amazingly the college he applied to have offered him a choice of three courses based around his obvious ability in animation and design. He's also just received a diagnosis of autism, which is a good thing because it explains a lot.

Today I'm going to the wake - afternoon tea in a village hall - for my friend's daughter. When I mentioned it to the Superdrug pharmacist yesterday she spent ages talking to me about it. I'm obviously showing that I'm bothered, which considering what I've dealt with during my somewhat challenging life is surprising me. Anyway, thank you for your caring comments about the situation.

Redcar Fri 21-Aug-26 08:08:37

Have a lovely holiday grannygravy !

Redcar Fri 21-Aug-26 08:05:22

Good morning everyone from mid Essex. It’s bright out, cool but pleasant. Yesterday’s promised showers didn’t live up to hopes and expectations! Like gg and gingster we had one brief shower and no more, despite lots of grey clouds!

Bingo at lunchtime today which hopefully will be well attended. After that my hairdresser will come and work magic on my hair, which is desperately in need of attention,

Congratulations to all DGC who had exam results yesterday whatever the grades.

Have as good a day as you can everyone.

brook2704 Fri 21-Aug-26 08:03:27

Good morning everyone from Inverness where it’s a dry and cloudy start to the day.
Hope you find the keys grandmabatty, maybe a coat or dressing gown pocket or in the car? That’s where I usually find things!
I’m off to the gym this morning and then not sure what to do the rest of the day. Either come home or go into town for a browse around - will see! DH enjoyed his first visit to the Men’s Shed yesterday, everyone was friendly and welcoming so I think he’ll go back, it’s something for him to do especially in the winter months.
Well done in ticking things off the To Do list Jax
Hoping everyone has the best day they can, take care all 💐

Ashcombe Fri 21-Aug-26 07:54:51

Good morning from an overcast Torbay. We’ve had a few showery days which has made things cooler. Most welcome.

The nightly performances are leaving me tired so I have slept late and haven’t posted lately. Audiences are still very appreciative and we are nearing the end of the second week with three performances to go. Our chairman is delighted in that ticket sales are approaching £24k gross.

Congratulations to those who’ve had the exam results they need to go on to the next stage of study. My DGS2 achieved good passes in everything but Spanish. There were issues with the teacher, I believe. He’s planning to study Sport, History and Politics at ‘A’ level.

I hope everyone enjoys whatever they’re up to today. 🦩💐🦩🥰🦩

monk08 Fri 21-Aug-26 07:52:11

Good morning all from the Black country where the rain has just stopped, we had a fair bit yesterday afternoon and it appears to have rained all night.
Housework today and I may make a start on sorting small bedroom out it's the room everything gets thrown into to be sorted as and when.
Enjoy your holiday GG13 and safe travels anybody else on the move.
Have a good day everyone whatever your plans 😎

Marydoll Fri 21-Aug-26 07:52:00

Good morning all, it is only 6°C here in Glasgow.! Brrr

Not much to report, yesterday was reasonably gentle. I stopped at church to drop off some linen and was met by the cleaners on their way home.
I was informed that, there was no electricity in the kitchen. The P.P had used an extension lead from another part of the church, but it become red hot to touch.😱
I switched everything off and went in search of the P.P.

Before I knew it, I was in the parish office, scrutinising Gift Aid names, to update the database.
The P.P had been at it for ages. I was able to tell him in minutes, who was deceased or had moved away.

Then I went to pick up my medications from the pharmacy. I had a new one too.
The new assistant got a bit muddled and forgot to give me the new one.
I was just cutting through Asda to my car, when I heard my name being called..
One of the regular assistants had come out, crossed the dual carriageway and had been searching for me, because she said I didn't look too well and she didn't want me having to come back. Such kindness. ♥️

No Silverburn for me today, I have neither the energy,nor inclination.
I'm not doing so well at the moment and don't want to go far from home..

Congratulations to all the grandchildren and welcome to the new posters.

G.G. safe travels, have great holiday.

Have a good day folks.

luluaugust Fri 21-Aug-26 07:42:34

Good morning from a cloudy W Kent. Yesterday’s outing to a local shopping centre went well and DH was pleased he managed some walking. DB has been told he will have a years wait for an op he needs and is very distressed I had the problem of talking to him whilst in the middle of a large noisy Boots, not easy.
Congratulations on the GCSE results
Gingster all the best for the eye appointment

Jaxjacky Fri 21-Aug-26 07:34:51

Morning from a fresher, sunny S Hants. Enjoy your holiday GG13.
Yesterday was successful as I booked various appointments, lots of ticks off my list.
Today I’m going to tidy up our en-suite, Tesco deliver this afternoon and probably pub catch up early evening.
🦩 🦩

kittylester Fri 21-Aug-26 07:20:42

Good mornjng all from a bright North Leicestershire where we had a beautiful pink sky earlier.

Friday, as usual, is shopping day. Butchers in the next village and then Waitrose in another. Then the florist in ours.

Yesterday was a mixed results day - DGD1 failed her driving test. Relief all round as she is not very focused when she is at the wheel but obviously more expense for more lessons. DGD2 was disappointed with the result of her 1 GCSE, taken in 1 year, but she did well enough to take it at A Level. DS1's 'stepson' did really well and will do 'Sciency' A Levels.

Have the best day possible everyone.

Gingster Fri 21-Aug-26 07:16:58

Good morning all and it’s dull and very still out there.
Last evening the sky was so dark we thought rain must be approaching! A tiny sprinkle on the windows and that was it. We’re very near you GG and we missed out again!. The clouds gradually moved away and we had brilliant sunshine late afternoon.

My friend was unable to get here yesterday as a lorry had shed its load on the road she has to use. She managed to turn off and phoned to say she would try again in an hour. I told her to stay home and relax. We can always make another day.

Today I have an appointment at the private hospital to discuss my eyes (glaucoma). Last week I was thwarted as they had muddled my appointment day.

The carpet people came to measure up for the bedrooms. Way overdue for new ones.

Happy holidays GG and everyone else who are off on adventures.

Take care all
🌺

Sar53 Fri 21-Aug-26 07:16:40

Good morning from the Essex coast. It's dull outside and I believe we may have some rain later.
Yesterday afternoon we had torrential rain for about ten minutes then a most beautiful rainbow appeared.
I spoke to a pharmacist yesterday and he doesn't think my wrist is broken, I can move it, but it is still very painful.
I'm going to rest it today.
Have a lovely holiday GG13 with your family.
Have a good day everyone xx

baubles Fri 21-Aug-26 07:14:28

Good morning from dry and bright South Lanarkshire.

Yesterday’s school pickup was uneventful, the children had all had a good day and were quite chatty.

Today I’m meeting a couple of the managers and another volunteer from my charity shop for coffee and a blether about what’s happening.

This evening DH and I are going to the planetarium to watch an immersive show set to some of the music from Punk Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon album, I’m not quite sure what to expect but I’m looking forward to it.

Congratulations to the children who have done well in the exams and yes Bella, I too think of those who struggle with school.

Wishing everyone the best day possible.

ginny Fri 21-Aug-26 07:10:10

DH is actually off to Golf 🙄

ginny Fri 21-Aug-26 07:09:30

Good morning from a pleasant N. Bucks. I’m sitting watching DDs cats eat their breakfast after which they will be out the cat flap for whatever adventures await them.
I visited my friend yesterday who seemed very pleased to see me but it was sad to see how quickly she has become so frail. This time last year she could still play a reasonable game of tennis.
DH is off to tennis and I have nothing booked in. I’ll tidy up and potter in the garden then into my craft room.
Thoughts with our poorly GNs and those with worries. A good day wished for all.

karmalady Fri 21-Aug-26 07:09:07

Good morning from cool and cloudy s somerset, I am loving the cooler days and longer dark nights

One sq m raised bed is now filled, topped with 6 bags of top soil, heavy stuff, hence the painful lower back today. I only spent £27 on bought top soil for this bed, now protected against cats and ready for my shallots to be planted probably next month.

My organic delivery came early, I can tell they are struggling to get enough veg for their customers, certainly it is costing more, as expected but I am able to bulk up with my own grown produce. I am cooking all plant-based this weekend and have started the main meal for today

Yesterday I made bread rolls and a huge pot of soup, using the rest of crown prince from my last years produce

Single-tracked mind this morning, cooking prepping and washing salads, I need to take some stress off the fridge, which is too full at this minute