Gransnet forums

Chat

I need to batch cook.......

(53 Posts)
kittylester Thu 20-Aug-26 08:44:01

As I can't get all my tupperware in the cupboard. I'm sorry now for all the times that I have panic bought more.

It's a good job the weather has changed.

JenniRen Tue 25-Aug-26 10:26:31

They aren't as large as usual but we've had quite a lot from such a small tree.

fancyflowers Tue 25-Aug-26 08:58:48

JenniRen

I've had to buy more to accommodate all the plums we've just picked.
There are lots of boxes, lots of lids but somehow they don't quite match up. What happens to them in the cupboard is a mystery.

Our plum tree is miserable this year. Last year I made loads of spicy plum sauce to eat with chicken. It was delicious, but not this year I'm afraid.

kittylester Mon 24-Aug-26 20:43:36

I’ve got some red cabbage left over from Christmas; the only time I eat it. Would it be ok to eat now?

Pretty sure it will. I make loads at Christmas, as does DD1. so our lasts all year round.

Witzend Mon 24-Aug-26 12:57:45

Having room in the freezer is my 2nd issue, having actually found the containers. I’ve just made a vast amount of shepherds pie base (will be taking a big one to dd and Gdcs soon) and 4 burgers, however they’re just wrapped in foil and in a plastic bag, so can squash in.
Not sure where the big one for the sh. pie is going to fit, though - freezer is just the bottom half of the fridge.

MayBee70 Mon 24-Aug-26 12:53:16

kittylester

My freezer was full of home cooked food before the summer. All there is now is a pasta bake sauce for 2, a tomato curry and red cabbage.

I’ve got some red cabbage left over from Christmas; the only time I eat it. Would it be ok to eat now?

Panda21 Mon 24-Aug-26 12:04:51

Freezer bags are very handy because they can fill the small spaces between pots: i use them to freeze single-use sizes of sauces & purees & im so mean i re-use them.

Paperbackwriter Mon 24-Aug-26 08:10:28

Grandmabatty

But do you have enough lids which fit? That is a perennial problem for me

Some time ago I got all the Tupperware out and matched lid for base and marked them with co-ordinating numbers with a good marker pen. Those that were orphans, I evicted. Now of course it seems to have happened again. They are still marked up but have managed to 'lose' some of their partners. It's like the socks/tumble dryer thing, isn't it?

izzibear Mon 24-Aug-26 06:04:17

It's infuriating! I regularly match up all the boxes and lids but somehow a lid or two always disappears...and then I buy more and the old ones reappear...ah well, if that's the worst thing I have to worry about things can't be that bad! ☺️

JenniRen Sun 23-Aug-26 22:39:34

Beef casserole, batch cooked in the slow cooker, is a good one for winter.
Shepherd's pie or the bases for those, or bolognese sauce.

I freeze in Pyrex dishes sometimes, then they're ready for reheating.

Witzend Sun 23-Aug-26 22:26:52

Meant to add, otherwise it’s a shepherd’s pie base.

Witzend Sun 23-Aug-26 22:25:55

gransruleok

OK, imagine we’ve sorted the containers and lids, what’s your very best batch recipe? (Yes, I know this is probably covered elsewhere, but tastes change). Mine is shepherds/cottage pie. I can move them from freezer to fridge overnight, then decant them from plastic to Pyrex and into the oven. Job done.

I make a basic mince, with red lentils and lots of finely chopped veg (onion, celery, carrots, mushrooms, maybe swede).

With the addition of chilli powder, paprika, tomato puree and a tin of kidney beans, it then turns into chilli.

Or, plenty of tomato puree and Italian herbs, bolognaise sauce.

JenniRen Sun 23-Aug-26 22:04:38

dragonfly46

I use foil containers. Everything plastic got thrown out when I had breast cancer. Only glass and foil for me now.

I'd never heat anything in plastic containers in the microwave.

dragonfly46 Sun 23-Aug-26 21:41:37

I use foil containers. Everything plastic got thrown out when I had breast cancer. Only glass and foil for me now.

kittylester Sun 23-Aug-26 21:34:19

I've got some of those Pyrex dishes too - they are really good.

JenniRen Sun 23-Aug-26 21:09:05

Plastic in the dishwasher.

JenniRen Sun 23-Aug-26 21:02:33

The best freezer containers I have are square glass Pyrex dishes with plastic lids. They were on offer in Tesco years ago, very reasonably priced.

I don't tend to put plasticine the dishe0washer, it seems to make it lose shape.

Dontcallmelove Sun 23-Aug-26 20:11:47

WithNobsOnIt

Do they still make Tupperware? I bet Hyacinth Bouquet has still has some. Along with a Fondue Set in.prestine condition

Remember Tupperware Parties?

The good old days. 😻

I still use my Tupperware bought over 30 years ago. As well as my own, I inherited loads from my mum and mil. I sold a lot on eBay as people collect it because it’s retro. I held a couple of parties and got as my hostess gifts a rice cooker for the microwave and a salad spinner!

nexus63 Sun 23-Aug-26 19:15:58

i have lots of tupperware, i don't loose any lids as after they are washed and dried i put the lid either on or underneath and put an elastic band round it, 2 if they are bigger tubs. the elastic bands sit in a tub in the cupboard that i use.

kittylester Sun 23-Aug-26 19:13:09

I use my 'tupperware' for lots of other things too. Cream crackers, cheese in the fridge etc.

I make chillies too.

Iam64 Sun 23-Aug-26 18:56:21

For reasons even I don’t fully understand, rather than reading. Or even weeding in my garden, I batch cooked chillie with meat and pasta veg sauces this afternoon. Belatedly went to our supermarket to find not a single foil tin in which to freeze portions.
I bought cheap plastic boxes but - they were either too small or too big, all a but three beats. Inevitably I bought slightly larger. I
L morph happily in to daddy bear as I enjoy portions, slightly too large

valdali Sun 23-Aug-26 18:45:22

greyfur16

I find the best containers are the rectanglar ones from a takeaway. Others the lids seem to go frilly somehow!

Now what to put in them?

That's what I usually freeze things in. They last for ages, but the lid problem is still a headache here as we have a few from different takeaways etc...

They do fit in the freezer so well.

WithNobsOnIt Sun 23-Aug-26 18:42:43

Do they still make Tupperware? I bet Hyacinth Bouquet has still has some. Along with a Fondue Set in.prestine condition

Remember Tupperware Parties?

The good old days. 😻

kittylester Sun 23-Aug-26 18:17:39

I do curries. Mostly butter chicken or a chicken and tomato one.

Balsamic sausage casserole is another favourite, sausage meat pasta sauce and vats of mince ready for pasta bake.

gransruleok Sun 23-Aug-26 17:16:22

OK, imagine we’ve sorted the containers and lids, what’s your very best batch recipe? (Yes, I know this is probably covered elsewhere, but tastes change). Mine is shepherds/cottage pie. I can move them from freezer to fridge overnight, then decant them from plastic to Pyrex and into the oven. Job done.

ufix1 Sun 23-Aug-26 16:13:40

Last week when it was rainy I went through all my tupperwears, matched each lid them marked them with a dollop of different coloured nail varnishes. How's that for a brilliant solution then I chucked out the rogues and those I hated!!