Gransnet forums

Chat

I need to batch cook.......

(53 Posts)
kittylester Thu 20-Aug-26 08:44:01

As I can't get all my tupperware in the cupboard. I'm sorry now for all the times that I have panic bought more.

It's a good job the weather has changed.

Nannan2 Sun 23-Aug-26 15:00:00

I might try that gransruleok- as i never remember to take it to supermarket for fruit....😆

greyfur16 Sun 23-Aug-26 15:03:41

I find the best containers are the rectanglar ones from a takeaway. Others the lids seem to go frilly somehow!

Now what to put in them?

ufix1 Sun 23-Aug-26 16:13:40

Last week when it was rainy I went through all my tupperwears, matched each lid them marked them with a dollop of different coloured nail varnishes. How's that for a brilliant solution then I chucked out the rogues and those I hated!!

gransruleok Sun 23-Aug-26 17:16:22

OK, imagine we’ve sorted the containers and lids, what’s your very best batch recipe? (Yes, I know this is probably covered elsewhere, but tastes change). Mine is shepherds/cottage pie. I can move them from freezer to fridge overnight, then decant them from plastic to Pyrex and into the oven. Job done.

kittylester Sun 23-Aug-26 18:17:39

I do curries. Mostly butter chicken or a chicken and tomato one.

Balsamic sausage casserole is another favourite, sausage meat pasta sauce and vats of mince ready for pasta bake.

WithNobsOnIt Sun 23-Aug-26 18:42:43

Do they still make Tupperware? I bet Hyacinth Bouquet has still has some. Along with a Fondue Set in.prestine condition

Remember Tupperware Parties?

The good old days. 😻

valdali Sun 23-Aug-26 18:45:22

greyfur16

I find the best containers are the rectanglar ones from a takeaway. Others the lids seem to go frilly somehow!

Now what to put in them?

That's what I usually freeze things in. They last for ages, but the lid problem is still a headache here as we have a few from different takeaways etc...

They do fit in the freezer so well.

Iam64 Sun 23-Aug-26 18:56:21

For reasons even I don’t fully understand, rather than reading. Or even weeding in my garden, I batch cooked chillie with meat and pasta veg sauces this afternoon. Belatedly went to our supermarket to find not a single foil tin in which to freeze portions.
I bought cheap plastic boxes but - they were either too small or too big, all a but three beats. Inevitably I bought slightly larger. I
L morph happily in to daddy bear as I enjoy portions, slightly too large

kittylester Sun 23-Aug-26 19:13:09

I use my 'tupperware' for lots of other things too. Cream crackers, cheese in the fridge etc.

I make chillies too.

nexus63 Sun 23-Aug-26 19:15:58

i have lots of tupperware, i don't loose any lids as after they are washed and dried i put the lid either on or underneath and put an elastic band round it, 2 if they are bigger tubs. the elastic bands sit in a tub in the cupboard that i use.

Dontcallmelove Sun 23-Aug-26 20:11:47

WithNobsOnIt

Do they still make Tupperware? I bet Hyacinth Bouquet has still has some. Along with a Fondue Set in.prestine condition

Remember Tupperware Parties?

The good old days. 😻

I still use my Tupperware bought over 30 years ago. As well as my own, I inherited loads from my mum and mil. I sold a lot on eBay as people collect it because it’s retro. I held a couple of parties and got as my hostess gifts a rice cooker for the microwave and a salad spinner!

JenniRen Sun 23-Aug-26 21:02:33

The best freezer containers I have are square glass Pyrex dishes with plastic lids. They were on offer in Tesco years ago, very reasonably priced.

I don't tend to put plasticine the dishe0washer, it seems to make it lose shape.

JenniRen Sun 23-Aug-26 21:09:05

Plastic in the dishwasher.

kittylester Sun 23-Aug-26 21:34:19

I've got some of those Pyrex dishes too - they are really good.

dragonfly46 Sun 23-Aug-26 21:41:37

I use foil containers. Everything plastic got thrown out when I had breast cancer. Only glass and foil for me now.

JenniRen Sun 23-Aug-26 22:04:38

dragonfly46

I use foil containers. Everything plastic got thrown out when I had breast cancer. Only glass and foil for me now.

I'd never heat anything in plastic containers in the microwave.

Witzend Sun 23-Aug-26 22:25:55

gransruleok

OK, imagine we’ve sorted the containers and lids, what’s your very best batch recipe? (Yes, I know this is probably covered elsewhere, but tastes change). Mine is shepherds/cottage pie. I can move them from freezer to fridge overnight, then decant them from plastic to Pyrex and into the oven. Job done.

I make a basic mince, with red lentils and lots of finely chopped veg (onion, celery, carrots, mushrooms, maybe swede).

With the addition of chilli powder, paprika, tomato puree and a tin of kidney beans, it then turns into chilli.

Or, plenty of tomato puree and Italian herbs, bolognaise sauce.

Witzend Sun 23-Aug-26 22:26:52

Meant to add, otherwise it’s a shepherd’s pie base.

JenniRen Sun 23-Aug-26 22:39:34

Beef casserole, batch cooked in the slow cooker, is a good one for winter.
Shepherd's pie or the bases for those, or bolognese sauce.

I freeze in Pyrex dishes sometimes, then they're ready for reheating.

izzibear Mon 24-Aug-26 06:04:17

It's infuriating! I regularly match up all the boxes and lids but somehow a lid or two always disappears...and then I buy more and the old ones reappear...ah well, if that's the worst thing I have to worry about things can't be that bad! ☺️

Paperbackwriter Mon 24-Aug-26 08:10:28

Grandmabatty

But do you have enough lids which fit? That is a perennial problem for me

Some time ago I got all the Tupperware out and matched lid for base and marked them with co-ordinating numbers with a good marker pen. Those that were orphans, I evicted. Now of course it seems to have happened again. They are still marked up but have managed to 'lose' some of their partners. It's like the socks/tumble dryer thing, isn't it?

Panda21 Mon 24-Aug-26 12:04:51

Freezer bags are very handy because they can fill the small spaces between pots: i use them to freeze single-use sizes of sauces & purees & im so mean i re-use them.

MayBee70 Mon 24-Aug-26 12:53:16

kittylester

My freezer was full of home cooked food before the summer. All there is now is a pasta bake sauce for 2, a tomato curry and red cabbage.

I’ve got some red cabbage left over from Christmas; the only time I eat it. Would it be ok to eat now?

Witzend Mon 24-Aug-26 12:57:45

Having room in the freezer is my 2nd issue, having actually found the containers. I’ve just made a vast amount of shepherds pie base (will be taking a big one to dd and Gdcs soon) and 4 burgers, however they’re just wrapped in foil and in a plastic bag, so can squash in.
Not sure where the big one for the sh. pie is going to fit, though - freezer is just the bottom half of the fridge.

kittylester Mon 24-Aug-26 20:43:36

I’ve got some red cabbage left over from Christmas; the only time I eat it. Would it be ok to eat now?

Pretty sure it will. I make loads at Christmas, as does DD1. so our lasts all year round.