Gransnet forums

Chat

Programme on ADHD this evening

(94 Posts)
Luckygirl3 Tue 18-Aug-26 23:44:22

I was fascinated by this.

I have long felt that the concept of this "diagnosis" being of a developmental or brain disorder was false, and that it is more of a social construct. The programme showed that to be so. The diagnostic criteria for ADHD are about as vague and subjective as you can get.

I think we will look back at this mass medication of children with horror.

The featured lad in the programme was on meds and then was taken off them for 6 weeks as an experiment. All went fine - he got his personality and sense of humour back, the family was happier, he was happier. But eventually he went back on them - why? - because they made him easier to teach .... think about that for a minute.... what the heck?!

As a social worker I was taught to look at the context before you look at the person and ask why they had a problem.

One criterion was that the child squirms about in their chair - maybe the problem is the chair and the need for the child to sit in it for lengths of time that do not fit with being a child.

The wonderful HT at our local primary gets the children to stand up and jump around after about 20 minutes of sitting because she knows that it is not normal for a child to be confined to a chair and sitting still.

We cannot medicate our children into an education system - maybe we need to have a system that provides education in a child appropriate way.

In days of yore we fitted the child to the system through corporal punishment - now we do it with drugs.

Doodledog Wed 19-Aug-26 12:05:36

And yes, valdadi - the losing things is horrible, and not at all connected to lack of care or an 'easy come, easy go' attitude.

saltnshake Wed 19-Aug-26 12:11:07

Just a thought, could the modern diet be in part to blame? Food has so many additives now; what are the long term effects? I wonder about this as USA seems to have a very high number of children labelled as ADHD and it it one of the worst diets in the world for additives. As I say, just a thought.

theworriedwell Wed 19-Aug-26 12:13:34

Luckygirl3

I feel there is a huge difference between an adult choosing medication because they feel that their personality features are causing them problems and a child being medicated at the choice of their parents and school because it makes them easier to manage.

I do think there are very real moral aspects to be considered.

And the vested interests of drug producers are not to be dismissed. There is big money in all of ths.

I know of so many examples where a child could not fit in with school but once they later found their niche they are thriving and are valued. The child of a friend of mine could not manage school - changes of school were tried to no avail. After struggling through his childhood and being very unhappy he went to agricultural college and is now employed and blossoming - he is out and about on tractors, mending machinery, troubleshooting logistical problems - his hyperfocus is a huge asset to his employers and his "overactivity" is channelled in a positive way. What a waste of his childhood .....

Being diagnosed does not automatically mean medicated. Maybe the diagnosis means certain allowances are made at school that allows the child to cope, thinking about a child who was a friend of one of mine. When it all got too much she was allowed to go out for a walk round the playground which allowed her to go back in to class and learn. To me that was a positive.

theworriedwell Wed 19-Aug-26 12:17:16

Galaxy

From my end it is the qualified ed psychs who are expressing more concern about this than the people diagnosing others or dismissing it all as nonsense. In my cynical experience if professionals are tentatively expressing concerns about an issue, it is in fact a massive concern for them.

Like that doctor who was telling parents not to get their babies vaccinated and it would give them ASD? He was the one who got debunked.

Doodledog Wed 19-Aug-26 12:33:13

saltnshake

Just a thought, could the modern diet be in part to blame? Food has so many additives now; what are the long term effects? I wonder about this as USA seems to have a very high number of children labelled as ADHD and it it one of the worst diets in the world for additives. As I say, just a thought.

Why do you use the word 'blame', as a matter of interest?

Galaxy Wed 19-Aug-26 12:38:27

No theworriedwell like training modules in local authorites being currently delivered run by professionals to examine the issue in particular in relation to trauma.

Galaxy Wed 19-Aug-26 12:42:47

I mean obviously they could be wrong, but in my experience by the time training modules are being delivered lots of professionals in the field have noticed specific issues that are of concern.

MayBee70 Wed 19-Aug-26 12:57:35

saltnshake

Just a thought, could the modern diet be in part to blame? Food has so many additives now; what are the long term effects? I wonder about this as USA seems to have a very high number of children labelled as ADHD and it it one of the worst diets in the world for additives. As I say, just a thought.

Remember when that orange colouring was removed from food and drinks because it made children go wappy? ( can’t think of a technical term for it). My son certainly calmed down when he no longer had it. And one of my grandsons went hyper if he had a Coca Cola. We all react to additives in different ways. But drug companies would rather develop expensive tablets to fix things and it’s easier for doctors to prescribe a tablet than look at an overall picture.

Aveline Wed 19-Aug-26 13:47:38

Thee is certainly a good body of research into dietary effects on behaviour.
When working with diagnosed adults with ADHD/ADD there was a place for meds but also and crucially a good routine and structure. It helped people to be more organised. Adults learn how to cope themselves and what they need to do to get through life be it using diaries, notebooks or having partners who understand and can help with timing and organisation.

Oreo Wed 19-Aug-26 13:56:00

lovethepuppies

I haven't seen it but have heard about it. I'm not buying it. There are documented cases of what would be called ADHD now that go back to ancient times. Brain scans show differences in the brains of people with ADHD. ADHD existed well before there were screens. ADHD is real, though I don't disagree that over use of screens and lack of old fashioned play time, especially outside, are problematic and no doubt cause issues.

And I've trained social workers and take a bio-psychosocial approach to everything. I believe ADHD is rooted in biology but psychological and social elements can have an influence for better for worse. I've noticed that medication does have a place for some people (helping them get through university, for example), but I don't think most ADHD children would need medical if they weren't expected to conform to an educational system that doesn't suit them.

Good comments 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Gran22boys Wed 19-Aug-26 14:03:39

Luckygirl3

Human behaviour lies on a spectrum. People vary in their abilities and personalities.
My concern is the medicalisation of what is normal variation.
The explosion in the diagnosis of ADHD has to be seen in context. Our social milieu demands that we conform to behaviours that often run counter to our natures. This is especially true for children, who do of course need to be socialised to encourage cooperation and harmony, but I have long felt that we go about this in the wrong way and that our education system does not nurture the sense of exploration and curiosity that is our nature, nor value difference.

Instead children are faced with a system that rewards sitting still and concentration from too young an age, and whose goals are skewed towards exam results and competition. For some children this feels impossible, not because they have a medical condition but because they are simply of a personality and constitution that does not fit what the system requires of them. In the process their true talents are missed, especially if medication is used.

I believe that some children are labelled with a diagnosis when in fact there is nothing wrong with them .... their personality simply does not fit with their context.

Exactly. We are all different. I was bored in school and bored doing office work. I wanted to do my own thing and when I eventually became self employed I was a different person. Doesn’t mean there was something wrong with me. I didn’t need a label or medication. I just don’t buy this nonsense.

Doodledog Wed 19-Aug-26 14:44:11

ADD/ADHD is not necessarily 'something wrong', though, any more than being left-handed is.

In both cases it's just having different ways of doing things, in a world where it is assumed that they will be done in a particular manner.

icanhandthemback Wed 19-Aug-26 15:03:37

Try living with ADHD and then tell me that it is a social construct. Personally as someone who has struggled with it all their life and felt a complete failure because of it, I find it absolutely disgusting that it can be dismissed as such. My son has been medicated and his life has been completely different ever since. I am currently trying my last attempt at medication as the first 2 medications were not suited to me and I am pleased to say that I have hope that this will make a difference to me.
The programme set out to prove their theory and ignored other evidence that is out there. Furthermore, the child whose medication was withdrawn has had to go back on it despite all the tosh in the programme.
There are many conditions over the years which have been dismissed as being psychological or impossible. Take MS and HEDS as examples. We now know they definitely exist and that the sufferers should have been listened to rather than being gaslighted by the medical profession and ableists.

Mamie Wed 19-Aug-26 15:28:41

icanhandthemback

Try living with ADHD and then tell me that it is a social construct. Personally as someone who has struggled with it all their life and felt a complete failure because of it, I find it absolutely disgusting that it can be dismissed as such. My son has been medicated and his life has been completely different ever since. I am currently trying my last attempt at medication as the first 2 medications were not suited to me and I am pleased to say that I have hope that this will make a difference to me.
The programme set out to prove their theory and ignored other evidence that is out there. Furthermore, the child whose medication was withdrawn has had to go back on it despite all the tosh in the programme.
There are many conditions over the years which have been dismissed as being psychological or impossible. Take MS and HEDS as examples. We now know they definitely exist and that the sufferers should have been listened to rather than being gaslighted by the medical profession and ableists.

The programme annoyed me too. I remember children I taught who clearly had ADHD and who would have benefited from medication. I know that when Ritalin started to be used more in the 1990s, that there were concerns about over prescription that I shared in some individual cases, but every child is different.
The best the "experts" in the programme could come up with was blaming the schools.

Luckygirl3 Wed 19-Aug-26 15:40:48

icanhandthemback - I am truly not dismissing the fact that we are all made differently and our inherent make-up creates varying problems for us all in different spheres of life. I am sorry that you and your son have had these challenges in life and it is good to hear that your son has found a positive way forward. I hope that you will achieve this too.

I do not think that questioning the rationale behind a growing phenomenon is gaslighting - it is subjecting this to scrutiny and asking why, whilst at the same time recognising how real the problems are for many.

The lad in this programme went back on the medication because it made him easier to teach and my question is about whether this is morally defensible. His home life and his sense of personal well-being improved when he was not on it.

I am in no way dismissing the problems that some people face. I am simply asking how much of this is exacerbated and possibly generated by their environment and the demands that are made on them by society.

I do think that these are valid concerns, especially in relation to children who have no choice but to spend every termtime day in an environment that runs counter to their whole being. The positive steps that are sometimes put in place to help children who need accommodation made for their personal needs are a positive step forward, but I contend that it should not need a diagnosis to achieve this for them .... that all children are different and their needs and ability to tolerate the school environment varies .... and making proper allowance for this should be a basic part of how a school operates. But schools might be desperate to do this but tied down by the rigid curriculum and OfSted criteria, and the narrow aims of education as a whole.

The school environment is of itself counter to the real nature of children.

The big questions that need looking at relate to the diagnostic thresholds - when does a personality trait become a condition? When does that condition need medicating? At what point do we medicate people to make them fit in better?

If people are entirely happy with who they are (and why should they not be?) then their problems need to be taken in the context of what society is demanding of them. There are of course some people who are objectively troubled by some of their traits and seek a diagnosis, but it is hard to know how much of the distress is situational.

I think talking about ADHD as a social construct is not dismissing it - it is a positive step forward in asking why this is happening and looking at structural rather than medical ways of improving people's lives. It should not be seen as a statement that it is all in the imagination - it clearly is not.

But we have been stuck on the medical model for years and it is not making the problem go away at all.

Luckygirl3 Wed 19-Aug-26 15:44:17

The best the "experts" in the programme could come up with was blaming the schools.

I think there is a difference between "blaming" schools and asking important questions about how school might be a factor in the problem and how this should be addressed. The problem is getting worse - and it is a problem for more and more schools - the questions as to why and what should be done need to be asked. Medicating the victims of the system is not the only way forward.

Mamie Wed 19-Aug-26 16:07:43

I would say the child is back on medication because it makes it easier for him to learn.

Luckygirl3 Wed 19-Aug-26 16:55:19

Mamie

I would say the child is back on medication because it makes it easier for him to learn.

There is of course the important question about what and how children learn.
They are all subject to the narrow curriculum and aims of our current system.
Does learning this take precedence over a child's well-being? Does it justify medicating a child?
Would it be legitimate to also ask whether the school system might also be a factor? The idea that the meds make it possible for him to learn presupposes that what and how he is being asked to learn is not open to scrutiny.
Many teachers are frustrated by the whats and hows of what they are being asked to teach and would like the flexibility to respond to the needs of the pupils as they really are.

theworriedwell Wed 19-Aug-26 17:19:17

Galaxy

No theworriedwell like training modules in local authorites being currently delivered run by professionals to examine the issue in particular in relation to trauma.

So they are teaching ADHD is a myth because some children have trauma? What about the kids who have no trauma?

Mamie Wed 19-Aug-26 17:37:35

Luckygirl3

Mamie

I would say the child is back on medication because it makes it easier for him to learn.

There is of course the important question about what and how children learn.
They are all subject to the narrow curriculum and aims of our current system.
Does learning this take precedence over a child's well-being? Does it justify medicating a child?
Would it be legitimate to also ask whether the school system might also be a factor? The idea that the meds make it possible for him to learn presupposes that what and how he is being asked to learn is not open to scrutiny.
Many teachers are frustrated by the whats and hows of what they are being asked to teach and would like the flexibility to respond to the needs of the pupils as they really are.

I worked with a Senior Inspector who used to say, if you want to put more into the curriculum, what are you going to take out? Whilst I am sure we could muddle along without fronted adverbials, it remains the key question. More money for highly trained teaching assistants would help too.

Mamie Wed 19-Aug-26 17:48:51

This response to the programme from the Science Media Centre is interesting.
www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-the-tv-show-the-great-adhd-myth/

Doodledog Wed 19-Aug-26 17:54:06

Luckygirl3

Mamie

I would say the child is back on medication because it makes it easier for him to learn.

There is of course the important question about what and how children learn.
They are all subject to the narrow curriculum and aims of our current system.
Does learning this take precedence over a child's well-being? Does it justify medicating a child?
Would it be legitimate to also ask whether the school system might also be a factor? The idea that the meds make it possible for him to learn presupposes that what and how he is being asked to learn is not open to scrutiny.
Many teachers are frustrated by the whats and hows of what they are being asked to teach and would like the flexibility to respond to the needs of the pupils as they really are.

This makes sense to me. So long as people talk in terms of 'something wrong' with people, and what might be 'to blame', and insisting on there being one right way to learn, then children are going to suffer. So are adults, for that matter.

If, on the other hand, we recognise that people are all different, and we thrive under different conditions, everyone has a chance. I recognise that that isn't straightforward in school situations (particularly when children and teachers are measured by 'standard' attainment tests), and any differential teaching methods would have to be, and be seen to be, fair to all. I feel the same about adjustments made in the workplace unless it is obvious that they are to compensate for something (eg ramps, hearing loops etc). Allowing some but not others to work from home, etc just causes resentment, as it is prioritising some needs above others.

All the same, I would rather see children taught differentially than medicated to fit with an imposed norm.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 19-Aug-26 18:05:53

I am definitely in the adjust the class environment and teaching methods to suit the child over medication.

I am amazed that educational experts have not realised that not all children are the same, and therefore are unable to learn in the same circumstances.

The national curriculum is far too rigid, at primary and senior levels.

Boadicea Wed 19-Aug-26 18:25:08

valdali

Above & beyond the drugs though, it is good for it to be recognised. I cannot remember where I've put things, lose things, forget things. My Mum used to be horrible she use to say try to look after things I would tell her I tried hard, she would say, not hard enough you have to try harder. I'[ve been in tears trying to explain how much I cared about not losing things, not upsetting her, but it just didn't translate into being able to pay attention better on a minute to minute basis throughout the day.
My son has it too & D-i-L & me, & to a lesser extent his dad, do understand however annoying it is for us, he can't help it, & we all try & devise strategies.
So even without drug treatment, a diagnosis can mean less misunderstanding & blame for someone with this (annoying) condition.
We both did quite well at school although known for fidgetting from Y1 through to Y13.

Oh yes, that all resonates!
I've spent my adult life permanently anxious about forgetting things and daren't put anything that needs to be dealt with out of sight (out of mind) .
...and time blindness too - you always think you've got plenty of time to be somewhere but then.. the bath had to be cleaned before you can shower, you forgot to iron that shirt, the car needs fuel, oh, and you still haven't had lunch yet even though it's past 4pm...
The worst is when people say "Just concentrate...stay focussed..." - don't you think I would if I could?!

Luckygirl3 Wed 19-Aug-26 18:27:41

I am amazed that educational experts have not realised that not all children are the same, and therefore are unable to learn in the same circumstances.

Teachers know this - hence the frustration of so many who are tied into a rigid curriculum and forced to teach to the tests and inspections.