Gransnet forums

Chat

Wetherspoons to become a bit quieter?

(40 Posts)
infoman Tue 18-Aug-26 05:40:36

www.mirror.co.uk/news/wetherspoons-introduce-two-new-rules-37562673

BlueBelle Tue 18-Aug-26 06:58:06

Do you have shares Infoman 🤣🤣🤣

Samsara1 Tue 18-Aug-26 12:23:30

In our 'Spoon's which we do pop into for a drink now and then the noise comes from children playing various devices on full volume while their parents ignore them. Bored with that they then take to running up and down the stairs to the loos.

DH likes the prices of the 0% Guiness..

tanith Tue 18-Aug-26 13:45:37

No phone calls on loudspeaker or music or videos played out loud on phone or tablet is not allowed now.
Good for 'Spoons' it must be very annoying.

MawsRosie Tue 18-Aug-26 14:35:10

Can OP explain his apparent obsession with Wetherspoons pubs or why he thinks we need constant updates on them?

YorkLady Tue 18-Aug-26 14:36:04

There is a chain of pubs, Sam Smiths, where you are not allowed to use your phone at all. Texting, scrolling or calling. You will be asked to leave. Their aim is to encourage conversation between customers 😊

Wheniwasyourage Tue 18-Aug-26 15:11:35

We like Wetherspoons because there is no background music, and more importantly for us, there are no dogs (apart from Guide dogs, which is fair enough, of course). The ban on noisy phones is great news.

Casdon Tue 18-Aug-26 15:25:36

I support the principle, I never understand why people need to put their caller on speakerphone when they are walking round the supermarket, or stood in the street taking a call, it’s intrusive to other people.

Jaxjacky Tue 18-Aug-26 15:28:51

Me neither Casdon a good move from them, I’d like others to follow.

Bukkie Tue 18-Aug-26 22:40:25

Wheniwasyourage. Totally agree about dogs. Currently sitting in a holiday cottage in the Cotswolds because there isn't a single pub or café we can go in because they are all dog friendly. Firstly it's unhygienic and secondly I am terrified of dogs.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Tue 18-Aug-26 23:00:32

Jaxjacky

Me neither Casdon a good move from them, I’d like others to follow.

Me 3.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 19-Aug-26 21:34:41

Sorry to hear that, Bukkie. I don't know when this Dog Friendly thing in eating places started, but I wish it would stop. While some dogs are well trained, others are not, and there are those owners who let their dogs lick the plates - yuck! What about people who are allergic to dogs? They can't use these places either.

We had coffee recently in a garden centre where dogs are not allowed in the restaurant, and when I thanked the waitress for that, she said that she agreed that dogs in eating areas are a bad idea, but said that they get a lot of stick from some customers about it. sad angry

BlueBelle Wed 19-Aug-26 22:55:07

I ve said it before and I ll say it again dogs have been elevated to a child
Dogs should not be in restaurants, cafes, shops or other public enclosed places
I have seen it all there’s a lady here who walks around with her dog lying across her shoulders like a fur collar and just yesterday I saw an elderly lady pushing a dog in its large pram type pushchair and it had a pram / baby net over it.
Back to Wetherspoons infoman

Gwyllt Thu 20-Aug-26 08:41:14

Have spoken to a number of people with dogs in pushchairs. They are not spoiled just elderly with owners who like to walk further and quicker than their elderly companion but otherwise healthy and no don’t think these old faithfuls have been elevated to child status Why would anyone do so

Witzend Thu 20-Aug-26 09:14:38

Gwyllt

Have spoken to a number of people with dogs in pushchairs. They are not spoiled just elderly with owners who like to walk further and quicker than their elderly companion but otherwise healthy and no don’t think these old faithfuls have been elevated to child status Why would anyone do so

I should have had one for our old dog during her last months. We often used to end up carrying her - and she wasn’t a featherweight - but it was better than leaving her alone at home. 🐶❤️

Bukkie Thu 20-Aug-26 09:58:55

I don't have an issue with people pushing dogs in pushchairs so long as they don't pudh them into pubs, cafés etc....

labazs Sun 23-Aug-26 14:11:16

that sounds wonderful not loads of people have conversations over each other. when mobiles first came in a local tea room would not let you have mobiles in there at all. of course then it was just text and calls but believe me it was so nice to be in a quiet place!
i fail to see how Wetherspoons will enforce it they hardly seem to have enough bar and waiting staff as it is

Sparky51 Sun 23-Aug-26 14:14:48

Hate wetherspoons..Horrible atmosphere..no kids.. no dogs..serving staff..miserable...but i have only been to 1!!!

knspol Sun 23-Aug-26 14:17:36

Totally agree about dogs in places where people are eating food - again with the exception of guide dogs of course.

Nannan2 Sun 23-Aug-26 14:43:03

But theyre already quiet?they dont have music playing and tv has no sound on😁

Himdowntheroad Sun 23-Aug-26 14:49:11

Casdon

I support the principle, I never understand why people need to put their caller on speakerphone when they are walking round the supermarket, or stood in the street taking a call, it’s intrusive to other people.

They're entitled and selfish.

Nannan2 Sun 23-Aug-26 14:52:07

I agree pubs with food should not allow dogs in.(only guide dogs of course).And am thinking a lot of older folk maybe pushing these 'prams for dogs' to help themselves with steadier walking rather than look as though they need a stick or crutch🤔So they dont look weak or vulnerable perhaps?

Himdowntheroad Sun 23-Aug-26 14:55:29

Wheniwasyourage

Sorry to hear that, Bukkie. I don't know when this Dog Friendly thing in eating places started, but I wish it would stop. While some dogs are well trained, others are not, and there are those owners who let their dogs lick the plates - yuck! What about people who are allergic to dogs? They can't use these places either.

We had coffee recently in a garden centre where dogs are not allowed in the restaurant, and when I thanked the waitress for that, she said that she agreed that dogs in eating areas are a bad idea, but said that they get a lot of stick from some customers about it. sad angry

Fully agree. I actively avoid any café, restaurant, pub or bar that is, so called, dog friendly.

I don't want to be eating near a dog that's scratching itself, smells, starts running round, barking whining etc.

Last year we had a team lunch at a garden centre that was dog friendly and I hated it.

One customer on a nearby table allowed her dog to sit and the table and then eat something of her plate, and poured some tea into the saucer and the dog lapped that up, whilst still sat at the table.

I also saw a waitress go to the dog and started stroking it. No idea if she washed her hands before dealing with the next customer.

Gracey Sun 23-Aug-26 15:02:19

We are very lucky to have two very well run Wetherspoons not too far away. They are very pleasant, and both have beautiful tubs of flowers and hanging baskets at the doorways and outside seating areas.
A friend suggested Wetherspoons for lunch a few years ago. I was horrified, but so pleasantly surprised by the visit.
Now for our regular get togethers we find one somewhere for the incredible value, freshly cooked food, and pleasant polite service.
We are surrounded by shoppers, lots of pensioner couples, men reading the papers, lots of single older men, students, office workers and often, groups of middle-aged women having a catch up. It's all very civilised, and usually busy.
I'll admit to being a Wetherspoons snob until a few years ago. I think they are much maligned.
Now, on our travels, Mr G and I often track down a Spoons for lunch or an early evening drink at the end of a long day out.
I'm a convert.

Estrellita Sun 23-Aug-26 15:10:07

I never go there since they supported Brexit and I don't like their owner. Likewise Dyson.