Gransnet forums

Chat

Mr Benn

(15 Posts)
madeleine45 Mon 17-Aug-26 08:56:00

Wonderful bit on the BBC news, that there is a a exhibition in Lymington of Mr Benn items. I loved Mr Benn and the shop where you went in and came out in some costume. It is a long time ago, but it was a short interview with the artists son. Wish it was somewhere a bit nearer, but perhaps it might travel this way. I would definitely like to see this show and then of course, if there was an exhibition, how I would enjoy seeing Bagpuss, and Madeleine (of course) , and any chance of seeing the Clangers ? Lots of lovely childrens programmes but enjoyed by parents too. Where is Dougal and the roundabout now? Ah well time to go out, but will have the little Mr Benn tune in my head!

Magenta8 Mon 17-Aug-26 09:07:16

I loved Mr Benn too but sadly Lymington is too far or I would visit the exhibition.

Oh the memories; Captain Pugwash, Ivor the Engine, Fireman Sam, Postman Pat, Crystal Tips and Alistair, Roobarb and Custard, Tales from the Riverbank and many more. Where are they all now?

Oreo Mon 17-Aug-26 09:07:25

My girls used to love Mr Benn ( address, Festive Road)😃 and the costume shop.By today’s standards of animation it was really basic but the simplicity was its charm.

kittylester Mon 17-Aug-26 09:17:55

I loved Mr Benn because it was narrated by the girgeous Ray Brooks.

luluaugust Mon 17-Aug-26 10:34:18

We all loved Mr Benn in our house and all the others mentioned by Magenta
Perhaps they should include them all in day time tv 🥳

Greyduster Mon 17-Aug-26 12:15:35

By today’s standards of animation it was really basic but the simplicity was its charm.
That’s what I always liked about Noggin the Nogg, which was a great favourite with both my children and later, GS, who used to act them out afterwards with figures we made with wooden pegs and scraps of material! The stories were brilliant and exciting and you didn’t think about how clunky the animation was. I would love to watch them all again.

Bukkie Mon 17-Aug-26 12:25:03

I loved Mr. Benn, Rainbow, Pipkins, Bagpuss, Trumpton, Chigley, Camberwick Green and Crackerjack.

MT62 Mon 17-Aug-26 13:01:35

Mary, mungo & midge, rings a bell
Was it about a mouse?

butterandjam Mon 17-Aug-26 13:19:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

butterandjam Mon 17-Aug-26 13:24:15

Wrong thread, I've reported my mistake to GN and asked them to delete it from this one.

Magenta8 Tue 18-Aug-26 14:20:58

When I used to watch with the GCs, I noticed that an increasing number of old favourites, including Thomas the Tank Engine, had been re-made using CGI. Of the ones I watched, none of these re-vamps were as good as the old version.

grannyqueenie Tue 18-Aug-26 14:52:02

Lots of happy memories of watching some of these programmes with my children. Does any one else remember one with a character called “Long distance Clara”, she was a lorry driver way ahead of her time in the 70s/80s!

grandMattie Tue 18-Aug-26 15:03:14

Oh yesss! Mr. Benn. King Rollo too.
Then Pob…
And to the others, though I never saw the clangers and anything pre-1972, which was when I came to England.

madeleine45 Tue 18-Aug-26 18:32:05

grandMattie you might find a bit of the Clangers on youtube or something. I loved them with, of course, their soup dragon, and think they were on the moon, but not sure. Then the great Ivor the Engine . I have loved seeing all the ones other people remember, and if the tv is going to have endless repeats , how about a few of these coming back? I am sure that there will be some grandparents who would enjoy watching with their grandchildren, and I definitely would enjoy Magic Roundabout, and such as Noggin the Nog. The lovely Bernard Cribbins used to do some great stories too I remember. looking forward to more ideas!

Anrol Thu 20-Aug-26 07:48:05

Lots of these lovely old programmes are available to watch on YouTube.