Gransnet forums

Chat

Jigsaw Etiquette

(47 Posts)
mumski Sun 16-Aug-26 11:53:22

I need to have a gripe and a grumble. An acquaintance came over a couple of days ago.
She had asked me if I could print something off for her, which I was ok doing.
When I came back into the room from sorting the documents, she had sat herself down at my dining room table and started doing my jigsaw puzzle! I'd put a tray and the box on top of it before hand to tidy up.
I was really taken a back at her rudeness, and it made me so cross. Or am I over reacting. I was so annoyed.
There is another really big issue with her, but I won't go into that too.
What do you think?

nadateturbe Fri 21-Aug-26 20:23:09

I don't think she meant to be rude, but I would be extremely annoyed! My husband and I often do separate puzzles to save arguments about someone taking over.grin

Oldbat1 Fri 21-Aug-26 20:20:49

I always have a jigsaw on the go. It doesnt bother me if folk want to put some pieces in.

My local library always has a jigsaw on the go - very popular too!

Twopence Fri 21-Aug-26 20:09:56

I regularly visit some friends and you are encouraged to try and put a few pieces in their current jigsaw whilst you are there.

NotSpaghetti Tue 18-Aug-26 01:35:11

friendlygingercat

Not a jig saw but an example of rudeness. I used to have a glass topped dining table. One day a neighbour came in to ask about something. He had a friend with him just some random bloke. The friend stood there leaning on my glass topped table leaving sticky marks on the polished surface. I passed him a duster and made him clean it up. You should have seen is face. Later the neighbour told me he (the companion) said I was a real madam.

You don't walk uninvited into someone house and lean on the furniture!

I don't understand why he was sticky..
?

Gwyllt Mon 17-Aug-26 23:17:34

I have always been of the belief that it the jigsaw was on the table it is fair game for anyone who is in that room.

cornergran Mon 17-Aug-26 22:39:53

Just now Mr C would be delighted if anyone contributed to or even finished his current puzzle. He’s in a right muddle with trees and sky! I don't work on puzzles so I asked him how he’d react. His response was he’d be pleased a visitor had found something to occupy them and as long as they didn't put the last piece in the puzzle would be relaxed about it. We’re all different for sure.

Shelflife Mon 17-Aug-26 22:16:56

I am not really a jigsaw saw fan , but recently I was given a 1000 piece one. I set about it and really enjoyed it. My very close friend came to stay with us for a few days. She and I worked on it together I enjoyed her company and it
Certainly did not bother me in the least.

WelshPoppy Mon 17-Aug-26 19:55:12

Everyone is more than welcome to have a go at my jigsaws, just don't ever put in the last piece, that's my job!

Mauriherb Mon 17-Aug-26 18:14:19

I don't do jigsaws but I know it would infuriate me because someone once had the audacity to finish off my crossword when I left it out ! I smiled and said thank you but inside I was definitely not happy 🤣

icanhandthemback Mon 17-Aug-26 16:54:25

We went on a 5 day train journey and I started doing a jigsaw. I was a little peeved when people came and joined me because I like to do these things alone. However, over the 5 days, we became very friendly and are still in touch. It turned out to be lovely experience although I did have moments with one person but I bit my tongue. I guess life is too short to get annoyed about these things and you can always undo the bits she did.

WithNobsOnIt Mon 17-Aug-26 16:33:31

Very rude, ignorant and intrusive.
Lacks boundaries.

Good friends would not touch anything in my home without asking me first.

Plus it was for your enjoyment not hers.

I would tell her that you are annoyed.

LynW Mon 17-Aug-26 16:20:56

PS I would be tempted to play someones’s piano if they had one, although I don’t play very well and need my own simplified music! But I think it wd be courteous to ask first if the owner minded.

LynW Mon 17-Aug-26 16:17:15

Sarnia, yes I would start with the straight edges if it was a traditional jigsaw. But I’ve got into doing Wentworth puzzles that often don’t have the normal obvious straight edges so will start with a part that has a definite colour/pattern and build from there. Wentworth puzzles are ridiculously expensive but just lovely and rewarding to do. I usually ask for one for a birthday or look for second hand ones.

LynW Mon 17-Aug-26 16:12:07

Personally it wouldn’t bother me at all if a visitor put some pieces into my started jigsaw. I would be pleased someone else was taking an interest in it and my choice of puzzle and it’s always a good talking point. But it is personal and fair enough if you felt annoyed. Knitting, however, is a completely different matter - a definite no, no. Someone else’s tension would not be the same as the knitter and they may be on a decrease/increase or pattern row.

Sarnia Mon 17-Aug-26 15:59:06

How do we GN's do our jigsaw puzzles? After all the corners and straight edges I usually do what I think may be the most boring, so usually sky.

Leavesden Mon 17-Aug-26 15:40:11

I think it’s peoples instinct to see a puzzle and want to put a piece in.

Missiseff Mon 17-Aug-26 15:04:08

I'd be pleased tbh

sandye Mon 17-Aug-26 14:14:03

A jig-saw, carnt leave one without having a go. When the children were small we always had a jigsaw on the go, people just wandered in and did a bit. I think its nice that she felt so easy at your house that she had a go.

Estrellita Mon 17-Aug-26 14:01:27

Rude!

ordinarygirl Mon 17-Aug-26 13:58:17

I know of several libraries which have tables where people can sit and add to a jigsaw. Maybe your aquaintance is used to that and never thought it was just for you to do?

friendlygingercat Mon 17-Aug-26 12:36:31

Not a jig saw but an example of rudeness. I used to have a glass topped dining table. One day a neighbour came in to ask about something. He had a friend with him just some random bloke. The friend stood there leaning on my glass topped table leaving sticky marks on the polished surface. I passed him a duster and made him clean it up. You should have seen is face. Later the neighbour told me he (the companion) said I was a real madam.

You don't walk uninvited into someone house and lean on the furniture!

LadyGracie Mon 17-Aug-26 12:18:59

It would definitely annoy me only my 9 year old GDis allowed to touch my jigsaws or Lego Technical.

SpinDriftCoastal Mon 17-Aug-26 12:14:20

You say acquaintance, yes, that would annoy me too. Close friend or relative, probably not so. I would be pleased they felt at home. If you also have another gripe with said acquaintance, I would probably add that that is colouring your general view of her. We're human.

Gin Mon 17-Aug-26 11:37:06

I would not be too upset. Every Christmas I buy a 1000 piece puzzle and my daughter in law and I get very competitive, hoarding all the pieces with a specific colour for example and it is a big race to see who will,get the last piece. The rest of the year there in nil friction between us, love her to bits!

henetha Mon 17-Aug-26 11:31:20

It's a bit rude imho.