Gransnet forums

Chat

I Shall Be a Weather Forecaster In My Next Life Or...

(17 Posts)
Gwyllt Tue 18-Aug-26 11:27:44

According to many, the weather forecasters till porkies
Guess they are just like the rest of society then !!

knspol Mon 17-Aug-26 19:48:56

Wheniwasyourage

I remember a story from the Reader's Digest (many years ago) about the late Duke of Edinburgh visiting the Met Office. They said that they were completely accurate in their forecast one third of the time, so he asked them why they didn't forecast the opposite of what they expected, and then they would be right two thirds of the time.

It seems that they are heading back that way these days, presumably because climate change has messed up the previous rules.

Love this! Duke of Edinburgh was a real character and with a brain too.

Dreadwitch Mon 17-Aug-26 18:53:36

Well it's raining in Leeds and has been most of the day.

Greyduster Mon 17-Aug-26 17:04:36

The weather map for this area today was a complete fairy tale. I have sent the feedback telling what an absolute shower they are! How can anyone plan anything?

PattyFingers Mon 17-Aug-26 14:20:04

Another job comes to mind where you are paid for getting it wrong, in fact, the worse you are the higher you go..... MP's!

Cossy Sun 16-Aug-26 18:04:26

Spain, on the Costa del Sol, had a midnight tiny earthquake followed by thunder, lightning and rain

My dear friend was on her balcony dancing in the rain at 2:00am!

She said it’s back to mindnumbing humidity and heat of almost 35c

Scorchio!

JaneJudge Sun 16-Aug-26 17:56:27

I'm hoping it might rain tonight. It's gone a bit cloudy and moody

henetha Sun 16-Aug-26 17:54:37

Our weather forecasters tell fibs too.
They say it's raining when I'm standing in the garden and it 's all bone dry.

Greyduster Sun 16-Aug-26 16:13:12

Northumberland is my idea of Heaven. I wouldn’t expect it to have anything else but green grass😁!

PamelaJ1 Sun 16-Aug-26 16:09:59

Aveline

I suppose because the weather maps have slipped a bit - we've got lots of rain up here ☔

Mysister has gone to Northumberland for a week. She had sent us a holiday photo of…green grass.

Wheniwasyourage Sun 16-Aug-26 11:28:48

I remember a story from the Reader's Digest (many years ago) about the late Duke of Edinburgh visiting the Met Office. They said that they were completely accurate in their forecast one third of the time, so he asked them why they didn't forecast the opposite of what they expected, and then they would be right two thirds of the time.

It seems that they are heading back that way these days, presumably because climate change has messed up the previous rules.

Greyduster Sun 16-Aug-26 09:29:30

I’m disgusted with the lot of them. According to the met office weather map we are supposed to be having a downpour at the moment, but guess what, the sun is shining and it’s never looked less like rain. Where the hell do they get all this duff information they’re feeding us from?

Aveline Sun 16-Aug-26 08:06:01

I suppose because the weather maps have slipped a bit - we've got lots of rain up here ☔

Fallingstar Sun 16-Aug-26 07:19:04

We have rain icons pop up every week then disappear with frustrating regularity. Is it really this hard to forecast rain?
They seem to forecast heatwaves pretty accurately 🙄

Plevey08 Sun 16-Aug-26 06:55:42

You'd be a bit cooler....a sea breeze. Bliss!

Maremia Sun 16-Aug-26 05:37:20

Fortune Tellers say what you want to hear.
Weather Forecasters, not so much.

Crumbly159 Sun 16-Aug-26 03:07:13

....a Clairvoyant with a booth on a seaside prom somewhere.

The two occupations that spring to mind where you can conistently get things wrong but likely still make a consistent living.

The weather websites have, for the last several days, had little rain icons sprinkled across their illustrations, promising rain.

Fibbers! Ditto fortune tellers.