Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday 14th August 2026

(55 Posts)
Michael12 Fri 14-Aug-26 04:56:46

Good Morning Everyone,
Its twilight here in Brackley and its dry with another hot day .
The usual bus trip to shop and hopefully speak to those I know , before returning home ,and getting Fish & Chips from chip shop.
Health I have Urine infection ,am going on a course of anti biotics as well.
Take Care,
Mick

TheWeirdoAgain60 Fri 14-Aug-26 12:42:39

Good afternoon, Michael12 and all!

It's my day off work today, but there's no way I'm going out in this awful heat! I had to waddle off to Spar just after 7:30 this morning for milk, but other than that I'm staying in with all the fans whizzing around in every room apart from the bathroom! The assistant manager was on till duty, and he looked like a human puddle already!

It caused me another bad night last night with lack of sleep, swimming in sweat, thumping headaches, having to sleep under the duvet because of the stupid flies, and nightmares - a couple of really scary ones again.

I've given up reading and adult colouring until the heatwaves are over as I can't do either of them at the moment!

I'm guzzling loads as always, including sitting on the edge of the bed at 12:30 am guzzling a can of Jack & Coke, but can't eat anything apart from cucumbers and tangerines! Constantly scoffing ice cubes!

Have a good one all of you, whatever you're doing!





FriedGreenTomatos2 - HA HA HA!

aggie Fri 14-Aug-26 11:45:29

Good Morning from a cloudy Co Armagh
I had a bad night too warm , then chilly , no pleasing me ,,
I pulled the sheets off the bed, so I’ll wrestle them on to the clothes line in a few minutes when the machine finishes
I have a chair next the line which helps
Then I’ll retire defeated!
HOPING for a better day for everyone

Roses Fri 14-Aug-26 11:28:27

That must be a relief! It looks lovely

monk08 Fri 14-Aug-26 11:14:14

It fits😀

WhiteSwan63 Fri 14-Aug-26 10:38:47

Happy birthday to your DGS GrannyIvy and to others celebrating today. 💐

GrannyIvy Fri 14-Aug-26 10:33:43

MD I’m sorry things continue to be so difficult. 🌷

WhiteSwan63 Fri 14-Aug-26 10:07:26

Good morning from the east coast and a cooler day today. I’ve just done a ThaiChi walking class which was really good so I’m a little late on here.
Firstly thankyou for your kind messages regarding my uncle.
Mum and I are going back to his flat today to remove the microwave and toaster that she’d like for her caravan as hers are very old. I’ll then have to take her old ones to the tip. We will chat with his office staff and anyone else while we are there. Everything loved him and has their own memories of him.

Yesterday morning with DGS was great he was super and played lovely. His mother has given me a bit of a lecture over this and that but most of it goes over my head.

Usedtobeblonde I’m sorry you are having a stressful time 💐
FGT it was good to see your Matt cartoon back I laughed at it too.

Thoughts to those suffering with stress and illness💐

Have a good day if you can 🌼

Marydoll Fri 14-Aug-26 10:03:15

It's a bit of a coincidence I have had a viral chest infection for over four weeks and my immune system is critically low.

Georgesgran Fri 14-Aug-26 10:01:02

I qualified for the RSV on age alone, but had to chase it up, as it wasn’t offered.

Georgesgran Fri 14-Aug-26 09:31:41

Good morning from Durham. Another fine, sunny day. I was so looking forward to lunch out with DD2 today, but a sudden sore throat has worsened through the week and she now has blisters and an emergency GP appointment at 11am. It’s left me with an empty, but she might need my help later. Luckily DGS2 has been his holiday club most of the week.

If you have a Costa in Sainsbury’s MD just treat yourself and stay out as long as you want, your mood is fully understandable.

Best wishes to all. X

Gelisa Fri 14-Aug-26 09:13:25

A late good morning all from a cool! Cloudy Fairbourne where there is low clouds on the hills. I’m late posting as we have been down to the shore ahead of packing up to go home. I will read posts on the way as I’m not the driver. Take care🌸

GrannySomerset Fri 14-Aug-26 09:11:24

Yet another sticky and restless night so am running on reduced power this morning. Psyching myself up for a walk into the village for one or two necessities as DS is here overnight and will expect to be fed - I have struggled in the heat but need to make an effort for him or he will worry. I shall be so glad when the temperature drops as is promised and would welcome the sound of rain though we aren’t likely to hear that blessed sound in the foreseeable future.

Reading about the eclipse has reminded me of standing in the school playground in the summer (June?) of 1954 to see the partial eclipse through exposed camera film. Anyone else remember this?

GrannyIvy Fri 14-Aug-26 08:29:51

Good morning from Cambridgeshire where it was such a warm night and we are forecast 31 today slightly cooler than the 36
degrees yesterday

It is my dgs1’s 18 birthday today. He did well in his A levels and is off to Oxford Brookes next month to study engineering.

DD2 and family have had a good week away in Norfolk and return today.

I am off to M&S food hall for supplies this morning and then another afternoon hiding in the shade in my garden with my book.

Grandmabatty I do feel for you. My dgd2 started senior school last year initially settling well and from Christmas last year to May started getting very upset before going in to school in the morning refusing to get on the school bus and had to be taken to school and lots of reassurance to go in and then came home happily on the school bus having had a great day every day! We hoping she will be ok when she returns in early September it was exhausting……

Susan good to see you back. utbb 💐
R&L keep resting one day at a time

Sending best wishes to all

Grammaretto Fri 14-Aug-26 08:22:39

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders. Rain here. sorry to make some of you jealous

I had a bad night and don't know why .
Yesterday's U3A visit to see the Phoebe Anna Traquair murals in the former Apostolic church in Edinburgh was most interesting. We had an excellent guide.

I picked up my knitting wool at the shop opposite and got started on my new project. It's for DD.

I've been moved onto the afternoon shift at the Store today which I don't like but will put up with. Then my df and helper will come for dinner.

Well done to the youngsters who have made their families proud. Wishing them a happy future.

I'm glad your DGS settled at school eventually Grandmabatty
I hope you aren't overdoing things R&L

Enjoy your day everyone.

harrigran Fri 14-Aug-26 08:22:36

Good morning from the NE where it is 19° with a forecast of 25° and thu der around lunchtime.
I did sit in the garden yesterday but the heat was really uncomfortable.
Retired to the sofa in the cool lounge with my magazine and promptly fell asleep.
I kept the windows open at bedtime but only slept for 45 minutes and then was awake for two hours before nodding off again. It is not restful sleep when it is so warm.

Congratulations to all those who received A level results.
Have the best day and keep cool.

Harris27 Fri 14-Aug-26 08:20:45

Good morning all after a restless hot night. The heat is ok abroad when we have air con! My gd passed her A levels yesterday and is on holiday with her parents. She rang to tell me which was lovely. They grow up so fast and it’s nice to see their achievements. Fuzzy head this morning I don’t do the heat very well. Quiet day planned just sitting in the garden if it’s nit too hot. Yes I too like autumn as it brings so many nice days. Have a good day all.

Marydoll Fri 14-Aug-26 08:17:00

Grandmabatty, on the first week of the new term, I used to go into class and support the Primary One teachers.
I often had to scoop up a screaming child and firmly send the parent on their way.
I was difficult for all involved.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Fri 14-Aug-26 08:15:48

Another here offered an RSV jab not in the age cohort.
Strange indeed.

hollysteers Fri 14-Aug-26 08:12:09

Thoughts to UTBB💐

Marydoll Fri 14-Aug-26 08:11:19

God morning all from a wet Glasgow, where it is 18°C.

UTBB 💐

Congratulations to all the DGCh, who achieved the results, they needed.

Yesterday's DH's appointment did not go well. The GP was lovely and appreciated the written timeline (it's very complicated) of DH's illness.
However, he explained that DH is on the maximum dose of BP medications and we must wait for the appointment with cardiologist, as nothing else can be done.
None of the investigation results have come back yet, so we have no idea, what is going on.

DH was raging at me, because I went rogue, deviated from the agreed script and informed the GP of everything, that had been happening.
I have been receiving the silent treatment ever since.

To make matters worse, DH has received an appointment with the colorectal surgeon. I tried to explain that it will be a follow up appointment, after his recent colonoscopy, which indicated only minor issues.
He is convinced, something serious is going on I am hiding something. and will need surgery!!
I am at my wit's end.

My pain levels are extremely high, I'm restricted by my wrist supports and painful leg. There is no empathy from DH, he has become so self absorbed.
Apparently, I am used to being unwell., it's different for me.🤬
Despite understanding, that his illness is affecting his behaviour, I am ashamed to say this, I am becoming angry , resentful and very hurt at his behaviour. 😪
It is a lonely path.

I have received an appointment for the RSV vaccine, despite not falling into the eligible age group.
I suspect my RA consultant has requested it, due to me having COPD and being immunocompromised.
I am grateful for any intervention, that will help keep me reasonably well. 😉

I'm taking myself off to Sainsbury's, it's about all I can manage.
Even M&S 70% off sale is not enough to tempt me to visit Silverburn. 😔

Mick, I hope the antibiotics do their job.

Have a good day folks and best wishes to all the mountaineers. X

hollysteers Fri 14-Aug-26 08:10:10

Good morning from a dull Sandhills northwest coast 20C.
Practised new songs yesterday mixed in with some mending and ironing. Ironing enhanced with spray starch. Not necessary, but I like it.

In the evening to a poetry/music event, first one in a new venue and with teething problems. Reasonable turnout. I love poetry and write a bit myself but find when people are reading poetry, it’s hard to grasp the meaning, unlike when reading it at one’s own pace. Some race through too which doesn’t help.
The air conditioning was a bit much and it got rather chilly. I left early.

Sister drives up from the south later today, so some final preparations for that.

Sorry you have an infection Mick, get well soon and thoughts to all🌺

madeleine45 Fri 14-Aug-26 08:08:16

Good morning Michael and all GN's from a still sunny morning in North Yorkshire. Have windows open but not for much longer as temperature outside is getting up towards temperature inside now.

Have had a weird and not too good a night, with many aches and pains and difficulty sleeping. Then about fivish I fell asleep and had weird dreams, and when I woke a real struggle to get up and moving. Ah well I am here now.

Yesterday, I didnt risk going to the meeting in the morning in the heat, but very slowly tried to tidy up and sort out all the things from the night before whilst also doing two lots of washing. I try to not waste water and put as much washing in for one load, but yesterday I had towels and bath mats etc that really needed doing, so the morning was accompanied by the sounds of the washer. I couldnt struggle down to the washing line so it was clothes horses out and put them outside on the lawn. Of course in this heat the bedding was dry in no time, and I was able to stick the towels out, and check them so that I brought them in very slightly damp , rather than letting them get bone dry. The cleaners came early, before I had even got round to having any lunch, and she offered to make me a sandwich, so I was "lady of the house" and decamped to my bedroom, when they had finished there and sat propped up on my clean bedding with my coffee and sandwich and watched the news and kept out of the way while they attacked the lounge. So I had had my shower and washed my hair early on and it meant that for now both the flat and I were clean and tidy. Apart from getting the washing out and in, I stayed at home with curtains closed and keeping as cool as possible, and just looked at emails and read my book later. Still avoiding making any effort at going through and checking paperwork and whether insurances etc are up to date , but when I am in the mood I will go through the files, and have got a small notebook, which I intend to put down dates due for renewing things, to save me the bother , and being an easy reminder in the future.

Today I need to get out shortly for the few necessary things I need before the heat gets any higher. At least going on the Yellow Peril gives me a bit of a breeze and is the coolest thing to travel on at the moment.

Great relief for those waiting for exam results and hoping for wanted success, for those needing particular grades to go on to the courses they want to take, Hope your antibiotics sort things out quickly for you Mick and you feel better soon. Karmalady and FGT I am amazed (and slightly envious) at your energy and ability to do so much in this weather. Usedtobeblonde, I hope things settle down soon for you. Monk08 hope all goes well at your wedding and you found your dress fitted well. Marzipan your sun umbrellas look very nice. I think you will get great use from them this year.

Well the windows are shut and I am still really struggling to move easily at the moment, so I need to put best foot forward , or rather creak onto the yellow peril and get off for the few bits I need before it gets any warmer. Local paper day so I shall get back and sit and read that later on. Wishing everyone a day of successful plans, and a cool breeze from somewhere.

glammagran Fri 14-Aug-26 08:05:06

Good morning from Wiltshire. Yesterday the heat was unbearable at 37°c. I remained indoors all day. It was 32°c in the bedroom when I went up. I then went downstairs to try and sleep but there was blue lights everywhere from all the devices so I went back upstairs after an hour. A very bad nights sleep.

DH went to complete the purchase of the new car yesterday. We opted for the Kia Sportage Storm. It’s a non plugin hybrid. We test drove the Hyundai Tucson but didn’t really like it.

Congratulations to all the A level stars. Hope they are all very happy at their chosen unis.

Have a good day all.

brook2704 Fri 14-Aug-26 08:05:05

Good morning everyone from Inverness where it’s warm with light rain in the air
So good to have you back with us Susan56
Yesterday we enjoyed a lovely day out at Nairn, we walked along the beach for a while and sat overlooking the sea. The beach cafe was really busy so we went along the road a bit to Brodie castle and had lunch there. I’m not sure what we’re doing today, I forgot to book my favourite gym class and it’s full now although there might be a cancellation later, will see
Enjoy the wedding monk and congratulations to the happy couple
Thinking of everyone with worries and struggles, hope today is gentle and take care all whatever the day brings 💐

kittylester Fri 14-Aug-26 08:03:38

Good morning all from a still hot North Leicestershire.

Today we are taking DD2 and the girls for lunch in the village and later going to watch DGD3 in a play. We are then having all three girls here overnight. Think of us!

We took DGD4 out fir lunch for last year's birthday yesterday. School holidays are very expensive.