Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Wednesday 12th August 2026

(56 Posts)
Michael12 Wed 12-Aug-26 05:00:25

Good Morning Everyone,
Its twilight here in Brackley but its remains dry .
Todays usual plans to Bicester hopefully chat to those who I know .
Have lunch then with the heat stay as cool as I can .
Health OK ,
Take Care,
Mick

Liberty Wed 12-Aug-26 07:55:39

Good morning from Suffolk where we hope to be cooler than other parts of East Anglia and enjoy on shore breezes as well as the sun.

I had a lovely day with my friend who spent 2 hours on 2 different buses to meet me. We wandered through our very old and interesting nearest town and,in spite of several good cafes with outdoor seating on the main( and only really) street,her favourite shop was ‘Wotsits’ where she was able to buy a box of washing soda!

We enjoyed a leisurely lunch in our favourite pub which is a very old coaching inn and she caught the first of her 2 buses home to Norfolk late afternoon.

I had a message from one of my closest friends yesterday asking if I could meet her today or tomorrow for a ‘quick coffee’. I’m seeing her today and I hope all is well as she has been worrying recently about the ill health of 2 of her family.

Back home then to see what other problems our house painter has discovered today! Luckily he is an experienced builder so can rectify problems as he goes. Yesterday it was a piece of rotten fascia board and guttering…today ?.

Thinking of all those DGC awaiting their A level results tomorrow. We shall hear fro DGD2 hoping to go to Liverpool to study veterinary medicine.

brook2704 Wed 12-Aug-26 07:53:48

Good morning everyone from Inverness where we’ve light grey clouds and it’s warm
Lovely quilt GM well done
It’s my usual Wednesday routine with the gym, coffee with friends, a walk into town and the bus home. All still enjoyable even though I’ve done it many times before. And then off out dancing this evening, I might just have time to watch the eclipse first if it’s not too cloudy.
Hoping back to school goes well grandmabatty just one more week to go here
Thinking of everyone with worries and struggles, hope today is gentle and take care all whatever the day brings 💐

Marydoll Wed 12-Aug-26 07:51:13

Good morning all from Glasgow, where it is 12°.

Yesterday, I bumped into a rather anxious Dollie and her mum.
Schools return today and she is not looking forward to going into Primary 7.
That was my favourite stage to teach. I enjoyed the liaison between P7 and S1, occasionally teaching with my Secondary colleagues in the Modern Languages Dept.

Our consultation yesterday with the GP was not very productive. It was 5pm before she called, a wasted afternoon.
She asked about DH's appointment at the cardiology clinic, which indicated that there were no issues.🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
I explained DH had not seen a cardiologist, nor received any feedback after his recent tests. 😔
I was like a dog with a bone and would not let go, asking if he had to drop dead before someone realised, he was very unwell. I also explained the impact on my own health, stating I am now wearing an ankle brace and two wrist splints, How will I pick him up if he faints again.????
He has a face to face appointment tomorrow, despite there being no appointments for three weeks. 😉

I plan to work in the garden today, after chasing up two Evri parcels. Yesterday, I received one had been delivered, but the photo used was of a different parcel. Grrr

I hope today is not too painful, Roses💐

Gagagran Wed 12-Aug-26 07:49:17

Love your quilt Grandmattie!

Gelisa Wed 12-Aug-26 07:47:28

Good morning from Fairbourne. It’s cloudy and cool but not for long. Yesterday we went out for a return trip on the little steam train. Unfortunately a spark ignited the adjacent field and within minutes the whole lot was ablaze! Two hours later we decided to walk back as the train didn’t get the go ahead to return despite the emergency services having succeeded in putting out. My poor back!
Take care🌸

Gagagran Wed 12-Aug-26 07:46:56

Good Morning everyone from another sunny central south coast. There is a nice breeze and no humidity so it is feeling vey pleasant. I think we may avoid the extreme heat Being coastal we benefit from sea breezes.

DH is out with his cycling club today and I have a quiet day at home again. I have my usual to do list and shall try to make inroads. I did the ironing yesterday so that got a big tick as it is the first time I have managed to do it since my fall in June. I have been just smoothing and hanging things up but do prefer to have ironed tops etc.

We saw the last eclipse in the Isle of Man where we were visiting family and I vividly remember how the birds all went silent as the darkness crept over. I expect it will be the same this evening but I shall not risk watching it. The colander suggestion is only for projecting it onto a wall or paper Redcar - not watching directly through it.

Thinking of all with struggles, worries or ill health to cope with. May there be some respite and ease today.

EkwaNimitee Wed 12-Aug-26 07:44:59

Good morning Mick and everyone from Carlisle where we have light cloud.
Yesterday I went for an early walk in the park then later, I went out for a drive looking for a clear eclipse viewpoint. I carried on to the garden centre for coffee and to pick up more sacks of bark mulch. Unfortunately, just gently strolling out of the cafe, my calf muscle tore again. I had to abandon any thought of hauling sacks about and went home to limp painfully about the rest of the day. Walking out to view the eclipse is in doubt but I will try though the injury is stressing out the hip joint and the knee on my other leg.
I'll finish the laundry and then confine any tasks to the computer.

A very attractive quilt grandMattie !

Successful eclipse viewing if you are, everyone.

harrigran Wed 12-Aug-26 07:41:29

Good morning from the NE where we have a forecast of 26° today.
It was supposed to be 23° yesterday but it was too breezy to sit and read.
Last night DS sent video clips of him playing the mandolin with a musician who happens to be a neighbour of his in laws.
GD2 is able to play the piano every day too which is important as her place in 6th form is dependent on top grades.
Sister and BIL will visit this afternoon and we will go shopping. I will be so happy to have someone to talk to as I haven't seen anyone since last Wednesday.
Have a good day.

Grandmabatty Wed 12-Aug-26 07:26:51

Good morning all from Polmont where it's currently 14° and cloudy. GrandMattie I love your quilt. Rosesandlilac I'm glad you are starting to feel better.
Yesterday the boys and I headed to the big toy shop in the retail park where they were allowed to buy 3 toys to signal the end of the holidays. Once home, they played with Lego and Slime and their new toys all day. I helped dgs1 with his lego kit which is very fiddly. Then I dropped them off.
Today I'm going to see them before they go to school. My aunt and uncle are coming over too. Dgs2 is named after my uncle and they take a great interest in the boys. It'll be nice to see them as they have been travelling for all of July. I expect we will have coffee or something and a catch up. The rest of the day will be quiet. I must tidy up the living room which is strewn with lego pieces. Have a good day all.

Ladyleftfieldlover Wed 12-Aug-26 07:25:14

Beautiful quilt GM!

dragonfly46 Wed 12-Aug-26 07:23:35

Good morning from sunny Leicestershire.

We are meeting friends for coffee this morning.
We have no plans to watch the eclipse. I remember the last full eclipse when I was in primary school. It all went eerily quiet and dark. I remember feeling quite scared.

Lovely quilt Grandmattie.
Wishing everyone the best day possible.

kittylester Wed 12-Aug-26 07:19:52

Good morning all from a brightish North Leicestershire.

DH is off to the gym and then going to build a garden bench for DS1 while DD2 and the gitls have a slower start. DD2 and DD3 are going to the football this evening while I think we will watch the eclipse on TV.

Have the best day possible everyone.

monk08 Wed 12-Aug-26 07:19:46

Good morning all from the Black country.
No plans as yet but there are plenty of jobs that need doing just need to want to do them.
Washing has just finished so will put that out and another load in.
Will make myself a cuppa 🍵 and catch up on everybody's news, love the quilt grandMattie.
Well folks have a good day whatever your plans 😎

karmalady Wed 12-Aug-26 07:15:11

Good morning from s somerset, very nice temperature here at present

Lovely quilt GM

Yesterday was lovely, I glided about the house and did not have even one hot perspiring moment, a big change from the last heatwave when I needed to change several times a day. I will be trying to do similar today

Sewing is almost complete and I may well have a dress later today. This has been such a very enjoyable sewing project and stretched my brain in process. I hope it fits as I want

The new raised beds came and I have unpacked all the pieces, now stacked outside ready to assemble during autumn. My car is full of cardboard so I need to do a tip run this afternoon

My veggie growing plans for next year, need to be updated to allow for heat and drought and I do like my ideas to be on paper. I think that will be a good project for me to do today. My seeds have arrived and I can sort those later. First I will bring my seed box inside, its a lovely metal enameled box with compartments, tactile and will hold all my seeds and more

My relationship with the sun/moon conjunction later will be of feeling and of energies, I won`t be looking at the eclipse, my other senses will be involved but not my eyes which I need to protect at all times.

Marzipan22 Wed 12-Aug-26 07:01:26

Good morning from my patio in Cornwall where the clouds are pink-tipped and one of my resident gulls is hungrily eyeing a small amount of oats I've put down for the robin.

Yesterday I was at B&Q at 8am to buy a curry plant to fill the gap where my topiary box trees were. Throughout the town we have some lovely planting, created by the council and independent cafés, and much of the box planting is dying. After this heatwave I'll go to the Eden Project and study their grasses, as I may go for more of those with the climate in mind.

Today my 10-year-old granddaughter will be with me all day, crocheting, sewing and chatting, and then she and her family are going to watch the eclipse. The sun will be behind trees here at that point but I'll enjoy the atmosphere. I'll never forget watching horses lie down in a field at the last eclipse.

Two Mint Moths appeared on my herbs yesterday. They're very tiny and not nocturnal, unlike most moths. So says AI. grin

luluaugust Wed 12-Aug-26 07:00:04

Good morning from swarming W Kent where we shall be meeting old friends who are in the area. We go back 56 years but now they live up North we very rarely meet.
DD1 and SIL got away yesterday morning and have got to Newcastle to stay with GS2.
Lovely quilt gM
Enjoy your days with small GC a distant memory here
Best wishes

Redcar Wed 12-Aug-26 06:53:38

Good morning everyone from mid Essex, a hot day is forecast again.

grandmattie another beautiful quilt! I love the colours.

I’ll have to watch the eclipse through a colander I think, although the sun will be behind the trees at the end of DD1’s garden and I’m not sure how much will be visible anyway.

DD’s dog finally started to eat again yesterday evening, tempted by some M&S cooked chicken from my dinner! She then ate her own dinner and I hope she eats her breakfast later. DD2 will take her out as soon as she can, she can take her in the park where there is some shade. I wish I could walk her, but she’d pull me over.

I hope that those who are struggling find some relief today. Safe journeys to anyone travelling and happy holidays if you’re away!

Have the best day you can everyone.

RosesandLilac Wed 12-Aug-26 06:52:21

39° Bellasnana! That would finish me off I think 🥵
That’s another beautiful quilt grandMattie 😍

RosesandLilac Wed 12-Aug-26 06:50:05

Good morning, a very bright morning here in south Glos.
I had a lovely day yesterday, various friends visited bearing gifts of home made goodies including my favourite, blackberry and apple jam!
There are homemade scones too, clotted cream….. aren’t I one very lucky lady 😄
I actually slept reasonably well for the first time since surgery so I’m feeling much better today.
The lady who’s doing my cleaning is coming today, besides that I.km having my stitches removed this afternoon so let’s see how things go 😊
Best wishes to everyone x
🌹

GrannyGravy13 Wed 12-Aug-26 06:45:21

Good morning Mick and all 🙋‍♀️

It is going to be another glorious day here in S E Essex 🌞. We do really need some rain now.

I am off out for the day with D-I-L4 and GC, I think we are going to Maldon, it has a lovely park, splash pool and I think it has a small petting zoo area. DiL is very organised, all I have to do is be ready and enjoy the day.

I think DD will be coming here, so that The Imp can swim and play in the garden, it’s predicted to reach 28°.

Lovely quilt grandMattie 👍

Bellasnana enjoy having your little treasures for a sleepover.

Enjoy your day dear friends 🙋‍♀️

Ladyleftfieldlover Wed 12-Aug-26 06:43:43

Morning all from West Oxfordshire. The forecast is for a scorching day in the early 30s.

We are supposed to be going to Oxford this morning. Lunch and then an exhibition at the Ashmolean. OH went out last night for the first time in a while. He said his cough was much improved. However, when he got home he was very tired and isn’t sure he will be fit today. If he isn’t I will go on my own.

Have a good day everyone and keep hydrated.

Ashcombe Wed 12-Aug-26 06:39:16

Good morning from a find Toby with no sign of rain sadly.

Last night‘s performance wasn’t without its mishaps, but it didn’t seem to spoil the enjoyment of another enthusiastic audience. It was nearly a full house. One patron has contacted the box office to see if we would consider delaying tonight‘s performance for half an hour because of the eclipse! Obviously, it would be possible to contact all those who have already bought tickets but curtain up will remain at 7:30pm.

Another lovely quilt, grandMattie!

Happy hump day, everyone! 🦩💐🎭🥰🦩

ginny Wed 12-Aug-26 06:37:57

Good morning.
Great quilt grandmattie
Today I have a cake to bake for an event tomorrow., a quick visit to Costco and then carry on with my patchwork.
DH is at golf all day and this evening we will join DD3 and family to watch the eclipse. The boys have made pin hole boxes .
Hope today is a good one for all.

Greyduster Wed 12-Aug-26 06:19:23

Good morning, Michael and all GNs from a blue sky South Yorkshire. Yesterday I had a lovely walk around one of our country parks with a friend. It still being the school holidays I expected it to be more busy, but no. It was hot though and it will be nice to see some green grass when we eventually get some rain.

Today I have nothing much on the agenda except to go out and pick up a new kettle I ordered last night as my present one it leaking! I also have some paperwork to sort out.

Have the best day you can, folks.

Melanie61 Wed 12-Aug-26 05:59:17

Thank you, I will have a look( no pun intended)smile