Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Monday 10th August 2026

(55 Posts)
Michael12 Mon 10-Aug-26 04:58:05

Good Morning Everyone,
Its twilight and dry outside here in Brackley as we head into another warm day.
Todays plans bus to Bicester ,shop and say hello to people I know.
After Lunch I have a Blood Test at my local surgery as to the enlarged Prostrate .
Health OK,
Take Care,
Mick

latedecember1963 Mon 10-Aug-26 14:38:31

Good afternoon everyone from a pleasantly sunny and warm Lancashire. I'll be getting detention for being late!
I've been for a routine mammogram this morning so I'm feeling a bit pulled to and fro in all senses!

Yesterday's family time went well. We walked to the park so the little chap's parents could see what he likes to play on in the play area before coming back for tea and birthday gifts.
DS is 33 today. It was a beautiful day, like today.

Today is also the 25th anniversary of us living in this house. It's the longest I've lived in the same home. We've still not round to changing some of the carpets and curtains although the stairs carpet is showing it's age now.

We try not to be wasteful. We look after things and make them last. I think we're both influenced by our parents in that way.

Hope you're feeling better, Madelaine. How scary for you.

Hope your DD is ok, Karma. A grab bag of essentials is probably wise, even if it's not needed this time. Arson is such a mindless crime.

Sending you a hug, Marydoll and others who are weighed down with worries.

Good luck this evening, Ashcombe.

Hope you all have a good rest of the day. 🌻

Marydoll Mon 10-Aug-26 12:36:20

Thanks my dear friend, 💕I am just really tired.

I know you are suffering too, I hope today is a reasonably pain free one.x

Borrheid55 Mon 10-Aug-26 12:09:45

Marydoll I hear your mood in your message. You are normally so upbeat despite all your worries. I’m sure I’m not the only one wishing you well on here! Sending love and strength, old friend! X

Feelingmyage55 Mon 10-Aug-26 12:00:24

Trying to say good morning before midday. Had an early start due workmen. Now quiet lunch while their saws and drills are off.
Wishing rain for those who need it, family support, and caring folk around you all.

monk08 Mon 10-Aug-26 11:39:30

FGT flowers

hollysteers Mon 10-Aug-26 11:31:30

Thoughts to Gingster and her DH🙏🏻💐

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Mon 10-Aug-26 10:58:40

GrannySomerset a life containing small pleasures is good.
Happiness is precious but not continuous. Pretty nigh impossible really. Contentment though - that’s more often achieved and something to be grateful for. One can’t buy peace of mind. It’s lovely for me these days to be putting my head on the pillow without that acute state of constant anxiety that I’ve borne these past three years. My nerves were shredded on many occasions, covertly watching Himself it was truly exhausting. My heart goes out to all who experience such worry.

monk08 Mon 10-Aug-26 10:46:11

Like your style FGT I'm another who dislikes ironing and avoid as much as possible 😀

GrannySomerset Mon 10-Aug-26 10:14:45

Like FGT I have a washing machine due to shout at me at any moment. Since line drying is obligatory as a compensation for the heat nothing will need ironing - not that it would get it anyway. I do like the feeling of free drying plus the bonus of everything smelling so nice. Small pleasures these days, but none the worse for being small.

Stilllearning Mon 10-Aug-26 10:09:04

Good Morning from South Lanarkshire, pleasantly warm today, yesterday I had the heating on.

So sorry to read about your fall Madeleine, hope you’re not too sore now. I really feel for you too Gingster and very glad you have such a supportive family. Different circumstances but when my husband began to develope dementia I remember the hardest thing for me was the realisation that my role was changing back to a maternal one. 💐

My ‘grassman’ has been so a good start to my day, I’ll do a bit of tidying inside too and then coffee with friends.

Wishing everyone a good day.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Mon 10-Aug-26 09:55:38

Crikey I’m late on parade this morning! I’ve been messaging family/friends this past hour and I’m on my second mug of TiB.
#lazygran

Good morning everyone from south Manchester where it’s a beautiful sunny start to the day (again) with a high of only 22°C so just perfect. The washer is on, lovely linens I’ve been wearing since Friday. When the machine beeps I take them out and smooth them so they don’t need ironing. Drying them on hangers. I do have an iron but haven’t used it in maybe 4 years. I have low standards. …. but a happy disposition. 😁
Oh it’s beeped! Cheerio.

Puss Mon 10-Aug-26 09:35:19

Good morning from Belfast. It's warm and sunny at the moment yesterday it rained most of the day washing put out night before is still on the line.
Church yesterday there were problems with the sound desk. So the piano was brought into use and it was very good and soothing.
Dinner was at mine yesterday everything went ok.
I too have a lot of ironing to do I have a tendency to look at it and see if I could get away
With not ironing it.grin
Hope everyone has a good day.

aggie Mon 10-Aug-26 09:22:00

Good Morning from a very sunny Co Armagh
We had a few decent showers yesterday , they were really appreciated, especially as not forecast
Son in law had connected a new water but to a downspout yesterday , it’s huge , 50 gallons ! It started to overflow into the drain , so we fill alll the watering cans and it was still overflowing ! It’s a big roof on the two bungalows
Today it’s Specsavers , I’m overdue an eye test , daughter booked it on line , so I have had at least 6 reminders about the time !
Marydoll you do sound weary 💐
Roses hope you are making good progress , I’m so glad your son is there

karmalady Mon 10-Aug-26 09:21:53

Oh goodness

Now DD 2 has smoke in the near distance opposite, MOD land and national forest area. The fire service cannot attend because it is within the impact zone. Also impacting national forest. She lives in a small village

Arghh, perhaps now they will sort out a grab bag of important paperwork. I have had one for 15 years

The situation of wildfires is beyond scary

luluaugust Mon 10-Aug-26 09:05:30

Madeleine flowers

Melanie61 Mon 10-Aug-26 08:54:18

Gelisa, I’m so sorry your back is painful again. I feel your pain. It’s excruciating. I hope it recovers quickly. Can you get in to see your osteopath today? Have you tried a TENS machine?

Madeleine, hopefully you can take it easy today. A fall really shakes you up doesn’t it? I’m glad you’re not injured too badly.

Grammaretto Mon 10-Aug-26 08:52:50

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders.
Only about 12° here. My DS in England and I share our weather maps. It's 25° there already. strange folk that we are

It rained yesterday so the washing is still on the line.
A pigeon is lodging in a chimney. It's been there some time. I can see it if I peer up. I left food out (oatmeal) and a window open but it's not moved off it's ledge.
The sweep is coming tomorrow.

I'm still swithering about making an offer on a house I like but which my family think unsuitable.

I have various appointments today beginning with the chiropractor. I am bored with backache.

I hope you had a much better night and enjoyed your DS visit Rosesandlilac.

Mick I hope these tests don't show anything too nasty.

Good luck for the opening night Ash 🤞

Hoping for a good day for everyone.

Grandmabatty Mon 10-Aug-26 08:39:15

Madeleine I'm really sorry that you fell. I hope you aren't too bruised..

RosesandLilac Mon 10-Aug-26 08:24:26

‘Morning, cloudy here in south Glos but I doubt it’s going to be cooler.
I had a lovely weekend but I’m paying for completely overdoing it….not that I did much! I never am good at being waited on, it makes me feel guilty.
Never mind, little choice other than to do very little today.
DS was telling me he’s got a ballot place in next year’s London Marathon, they’re like hen’s teeth apparently.
He’s done it three times before, he used to do Ironman and triathlons, he loves running.
He runs from home in south west London to Barnes then gets the train to work in Whitehall nearly every day, cycling the other days (14 miles each way). Makes me tired to think about it 🫣
My friend is coming for a cup of tea this afternoon, apart from that absolutely nothing is going to happen….
🌹

monk08 Mon 10-Aug-26 08:23:58

Sorry to read of your fall Madeleine take it easy today.

Usedtobeblonde Mon 10-Aug-26 08:20:18

I only have GGD’s thankfully !!

dragonfly46 Mon 10-Aug-26 08:17:54

So sorry to read of your fall * Madeleine* hope you feel better today!

Usedtobeblonde Mon 10-Aug-26 08:16:16

Good morning from Stockport.
Sunny and already very warm.
Yesterday I went out on my scooter with my neighbour who bought one a few weeks ago, she is getting argumentative and outspoken and I bite my tongue many times.
I just hope her family are aware of the changes in her.
I am her only friend locally apart from them.

My S and boys went out for a meal with their elder brother and his family but I decided not to join them, I was hot and tired but missed the chance to see my two GGGD’s , they are delightful little girls and I don’t see them enough.

My S and GS’s are going to N Wales today so I shall be alone for a few days, first time in many years.
It is going to be a very hot week so take care everyone.

Georgesgran Mon 10-Aug-26 08:06:36

Good Morning from a bright, sunny Durham - a pleasant change from the grey sky and showers of yesterday. I wasted a drive, via satnav, looking for a garage, but at the location, I couldn’t find it, plenty of dealerships, but not what I was looking for.
Today is back to normal and starts with coffee and a catch up with a friend. Later, I’m picking up some vouchers for DD2’s birthday which is later this month. Although she’ll be away for it, I want the vouchers now.
Hopefully, I’ll hear from the lady who wants to collect some of my loft clearance things for her car boot sales.
I’ll read this thread later, but hope things are better for the MDs and that RosesandL has had a comfortable night.

Best wishes to all. X

madeleine45 Mon 10-Aug-26 08:05:07

Good morning Michael and all GN's from a still, sunny, North Yorkshire. Not too hot yet so while the temperature outside is cooler than inside have windows open, but every so often stick my hand out to check. The minute it gets near the inside temperature I shall be closing windows and curtains .

I am bruised and battered this morning , after a very mixed day yesterday . It started sunny and I was taking things steady , with no special plan for the day. Around lunch time the sky turned grey, and much cooler, and finally we had the most miniscule shower, grateful for any rain , but wished it could have continued or rained a lot harder. That decided me to make the most of the cooler weather.

My ironing basket was full to overflowing and I was reduced to little choice of trousers etc, because the weather had been too hot to contemplate doing any. So I rather reluctantly decided to make the effort and use the cooler weather to get cracking and listen to the radio. So I got organised , sorting washing out hot to cool, ironing board up , iron on and began. After only two things ironed, the wretched iron stopped working. I checked everything but no , it had given up the ghost. I felt very annoyed , after all my preparation and knew the forecast for monday too. Stomped off to have a coffee and then another fiddle around but no joy. About half past three had sudden inspiration and checked that the local Argos was open on a sunday, and it was open until 4pm. Threw the covers off the yellow peril and shot off to try them.

No one in the shop, and so was able to ask the lady there for help. I wanted a cordless one, like my last one, but the point was, not what I would choose , but did they have one in stock that I could buy right then . She checked it out for me and hurrah, there was one available. So bought it and came back, pleased with myself having sorted it out. Then it was a case of reading the instructions carefully as I didnt want to mess it up , and then on with the ironing.

I was plodding along, and pleased to see the pile decreasing, and I put things on a clothes horse as I go. Went to hang things up and put stuff in the airing cupboard. Came back to the board and caught my foot in something and pitched forward. Trying to stop myself falling I banged into a cupboard and then was off balance and fell down with a bang, and was flat on the floor. I was winded and bashed and bruised but no bones broken. but ribs hurt, and wrist and the shin on my left leg was painful . It took me a while to get myself upright and felt quite shaky.

I made myself a much needed coffee and had a sit down for a while, but then returned and got everything finished and put away. After that I creaked around a bit, and listened to music and read, which was quite enough for one day. One good thing about getting the iron like that, I wasnt spending ages trying to see what was the best price, best offer etc, and it worked ok.

Had a poor night , sleeping badly and waking up at times, and definitely a creaky morning ,and so early on GN's as I am getting myself moving before having my shower today. So it is definitely going to be a quiet day today, not planning anything , other than checking my prescription and seeing if they need ordering.

Glad you are having a quiet day GrandMattie and hope your ankle will be improving. Ashcombe , I agree, piano sounds much better with a smaller congregation, and it is good that you have the choice. Wishing you the traditional "break a leg" for a great opening night tonight and a full house. Thinking of RosesandLilac and hoping she has had a good night, and other GN's struggling with health problems are improving. Wishing everyone a good day, with plans working out and that you all find some shade