Gransnet forums

Chat

Unbelievable What I've Just Read

(60 Posts)
Moonwatcher1904 Mon 10-Aug-26 00:28:11

A local lady wanted some eclipse glasses so ended up buying a box of 100 on Amazon. She is selling what she didn't want to anyone who wanted any.
So someone replied with the comment Why do you need glasses.
So the replies were you can't look directly at the sun even during an eclipse.
So her reply was why can't you use ordinary sunglasses.
To which the reply to that was they're not strong enough.
She said she was confused as you can look at the sun when it's hot.
So she got told you could get eye damage if you look at the sun without proper glasses.
Her final reply was That's crazy.

I said to my DH who also read the post that I can't believe that there are people walking about this earth who have no idea about anything.

Jojo1950 Tue 11-Aug-26 14:59:40

I agree! 😂

Gango Tue 11-Aug-26 14:55:15

I’m with Ricky gervais view that warnings on bleach bottles that say do not drink should be removed for a couple of years.

That should rebalance it a little 🤣

Barbadosbelle Tue 11-Aug-26 14:45:33

.

I read the following -

Turn your back to the sun;
Put your phone on to video record;
Hold it up as though you're taking a selfie;
Press to film

No danger and you can replay the experience or forward it.
.

Moonwatcher1904 Tue 11-Aug-26 14:41:48

Gango you are spot on with that.

Sooze58 Tue 11-Aug-26 14:40:02

Someone on our local notice board asked where was the best place to see the eclipse. The answers were hilarious as you can imagine - look up, in the sky, where do you normally see the sun etc. etc.

Gango Tue 11-Aug-26 14:26:04

To be honest there are more stupid and uneducated people than intelligent and educated. Despite the majority (in this country) having to go to school from around 4/5 to 16
The dangerous ones are those that don’t realise they’re stupid.

honeyrose Tue 11-Aug-26 14:23:24

This probably sounds like utter stupidity on my part, but can you look at sunrise and sunset through the naked eye without causing permanent damage?

SueEH Tue 11-Aug-26 14:19:24

I flew to Majorca this morning to see the total eclipse; I brought eclipse glasses with me and was given a pair at my hotel when I checked in.
Solar eclipse glasses are 100,000 - yes, 100,000 - times darker than ordinary sunglasses.
Welding masks won’t work either before some numpty suggests that too.

Skodadoda Tue 11-Aug-26 14:18:59

Luckygirl3

You can look through a colander I am told.

No you do NOT look through a. Colander. You turn your back to the sun and project onto a white surface. You’ll get a lot of mini eclipse images.

Lupatria Tue 11-Aug-26 14:12:55

i have been looking for clip on glasses for watching the eclipse as i wear glasses. nothing!
there are all sorts of eclipse glasses to be had but nothing that can be used if you wear glasses!!
i probably won't watch the eclipse especially as i would have to drive to get a clearer view - the sun goes behind trees about 4.30 where i live.
i did see the total eclipse in 1999(?) and it was so eerie.

DeeAitch56 Tue 11-Aug-26 14:05:22

I recall that there was a total eclipse when I was at school, somewhen in the 1960’s, we were told to bring into school a strip of photo negatives where the image hadn’t developed properly to use as a filter for looking directly at the eclipse
This is probably not acceptable these days I guess

dogsmother Tue 11-Aug-26 13:50:24

I’ll go to bingo, the last one we had was total where I lived and was an amazing experience. So don’t feel I’ll be missing out.

MollyNew Tue 11-Aug-26 12:29:04

Fallingstar I am the same, I have light-adaptive glasses for everyday wear all year round plus sunglasses for bright sunshine. I also wear my sunglasses when there is Winter sun, especially for driving and I can't cope with a flickering candle on a table in a restaurant. My optician says that lighter eye colours are more sensitive to sunlight so I am very careful.

Fallingstar Tue 11-Aug-26 10:09:43

I never look at the sun, and wear sunglasses even when the sun is diffused, am very photo sensitive and even looking at a candle flame can set off a migraine so when we sit down in a restaurant where a candle has been lit I have to blow it out.
So I won’t be trying to look at the eclipse but if it means the hot temps drop, if only for a brief time, I will be happy.

Wyllow3 Tue 11-Aug-26 00:52:44

👍

Moonwatcher1904 Tue 11-Aug-26 00:07:08

Wyllow3

Please put one on here!

I will Wyllow3 if it's not cloudy....lol

Wyllow3 Mon 10-Aug-26 23:41:53

Please put one on here!

Moonwatcher1904 Mon 10-Aug-26 23:02:32

I haven't got any of those glasses but I'm fortunate enough to have a solar filter for my camera so weather permitting I will get some good pictures. It will be a good view from my window over the Irish Sea.

valdali Mon 10-Aug-26 19:33:42

On the same basis, I'm pegging washing out whenever it clouds over here, but it hasn't got wet so far....

watermeadow Mon 10-Aug-26 19:13:16

When any astronomical event is announced it’s usually too wet or cloudy to see anything. If only Wednesday’s partial eclipse would bring rain!

Moonwatcher1904 Mon 10-Aug-26 13:34:58

I love your comments on here. As Astitchintime says There's no accounting for stupidity.

Beeb Mon 10-Aug-26 10:39:47

Thank you Luckygirl will use one of the methods described on the video.

Luckygirl3 Mon 10-Aug-26 10:28:24

I found this - hope it is helpful.

www.facebook.com/reel/1716463992739136

Luckygirl3 Mon 10-Aug-26 10:22:50

Yes - I believe you stand with your back to the sun and hold a piece of card in front of you. Lots of images of the sun and the eclipse should appear on the card.

Charleygirl5 Mon 10-Aug-26 10:12:33

I am partially sighted and a group, AMD, meet monthly. We hired a room, and it was in semi darkness, and we were feeling around for light switches. Apparently we didn't need any light! I told the person in charge we actually need more!