Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday 8th August 2026

(58 Posts)
Michael12 Sat 08-Aug-26 04:49:03

Good Morning Everyone,
Its not quite twilight here in Brackley but its dry outside and it could be a very warm day.
Todays routine get an early bus to Bicester , have a coffee and a bite to eat , do a shop and chat to people I know.
Watch the penultimate stage of women's Tour De France heading to Nice, the British Girls are not doing so well.
Health OK,
Take Care,
Mick

TheWeirdoAgain60 Sat 08-Aug-26 12:06:24

Good morning, Michael12 and all!

64.media.tumblr.com/5df46f5497f0253c1459b7440394976d/f8cf5d3c410f94ec-a5/s540x810/2516c0f2c60b279236298854b4084768d70ef5af.jpg

Yesterday evening, after I finished stuffin' my face at Passage To India, I had to go to Spar for washing-up liquid, and I was also leapt upon by these doughnuts!

I'm sitting outside the shop on a work break now, scoffing them, and they're gorgeous! At home, I'll scrub off the stickers and put the cup on the windowsill in my home office and fill it with paperclips, cork board pins, etc.!

When I was paying for the 2 items, for a few seconds I got tangled up with getting out my Spar Rewards card from my purse, money, and putting the card back in while holding the purse, and dropping the change into the animal rescue container, so I put it down on the counter right in front of me to get sorted.

I always keep my purse in my zipped handbag, then at home I immediately put it in the zipped canvas wardrobe as soon as I get in. Last night, about 10:30, I woke up fast thinking ''I've left my purse on the counter!'' I jumped out of bed and unzipped the wardrobe, and straight to my bag - where it was snuggled in!

Ethan was serving me, and if I'd have walked off without it, he'd have grabbed it and run after me.

I watched YouTube's Britain's Forgotten Monuments: Murder Stones. Past and Curious channel. This one is from 1786. Surrey. Fascinating!

Back to the till for me!

See you all on Monday!

Marzipan22 Sat 08-Aug-26 11:23:51

'Love the crocheted flowers. What will you make Marzipan?'

I think I'll use them to cover a footstool but failing that I'll give the finished thing to my favourite charity shop, frequented by students.

Puss Sat 08-Aug-26 11:19:13

Good morning from Belfast where it is 17 rising to 24 according to Alexa.
Washing went out last night and is almost dry.
Had to dash out and get the washing in a heavy shower DH just watched me!!!!!
Belfast has been hosting the Fleadh never seen so many people in town.
A great success musicians in every corner of the city.
Going now to catch up on housework.
Take care everyone.

HelterSkelter1 Sat 08-Aug-26 11:01:01

Good morning from a perfect temperature so far in N Surrey.
I love being in the kitchen with the patio doors wide open and some fresher air coming in.
This week is going to be very hot so I won't be throwing open the doors till next weekend.
I have decided to sort of write off August and anticipate a cooler September.
As Marzipan says this is probably what summers will be like from now on and we must adapt because we can't change it.

Love the crocheted flowers. What will you make Marzipan?

Sorry you are feeling down Madeleine. You are normally so positive. Be like me and look forward to September.

Enjoy today as much as possible.

Melanie61 Sat 08-Aug-26 10:59:36

Good morning from Sheffield
The dentist couldn’t find anything wrong with my tooth yesterday. He thinks its an inflamed nerve from chewing on that side after the extraction I had the other week ,he said give it a few more days to see if it settles down so we will see.
I am busy preparing today . Every year we have a family barbecue . Our three kids, their partners and an abundance of grandchildren. There will be 17 in total. Everybody’s bringing something so that’s good. We just have to get tables and chairs out and sort out the barbecue for tomorrow
Take care everyoneflowers

Ilovedogs22 Sat 08-Aug-26 10:46:29

Good morning everyone from the sunny west midlands.
A slow day here today, so slow that I keep sneaking off to the fridge and nicking the houmous. I have though, dug-deep to find enough self-control to wander down to the the veg plot & admire my massive sweetcorn plants. I'm happy & grateful for all the small mercies & of course, houmous!
Wishing everyone the best day possible. Ps, my mother in law has given me a seat for camel riding!
I suppose I'll have to go-out camel -shopping now; that could be very interesting. 🐪

Ziplok Sat 08-Aug-26 10:18:25

Good morning everyone,
I’ve only read a few posts so far, so apologies.

Glad you are home rosesandlilac and recovering from the effects of the anaesthetic.

Yes, I agree with greyduster that your gs will be anxious about starting school and the change it will be Grandmabatty .Its going to be a very warm day today after the last few more bearable days.

Sending best wishes to all who are feeling unwell or struggling today.

GrannySomerset Sat 08-Aug-26 10:16:52

Late to the party after a rotten night for no obvious reason. It seems the less I do the less I want to do, and the prospect of yet another hot week is dismal in the extreme.

Glad to know that Roses is safely home and hope that her recovery is uneventful; thinking of all Marydoll is coping with and wishing her family was a bit more aware of what is going on (it took my DD far too long to realise how unwell her father was because, as she later admitted, she just didn’t want to believe it).

I am trying to be grateful for this exceptional summer and failing totally. Am short of things to look forward to, I think.

Marzipan22 Sat 08-Aug-26 10:16:02

Good morning - extremely late for me - from my son's house a bus ride from my home, where I'm grandson-sitting while his sister goes horse riding with her mum. Their dad is walking the Cornish coast path near Land's End this weekend, with his brother, cousin and a few others who usually meet annually to walk on Dartmoor.

I've been thinking about how to deal with the heat. If this is going to happen more frequently and my health suffers when I go out in it then I need to use the time constructively so I've decided to use it to learn new craft/sewing skills when I'm stuck indoors. That will be more productive than just begrudging the heat.

I've brought this bag of crocheted flowers with me, long overdue for stitching together. When my granddaughter comes back from riding we'll do some crocheting together.

Love the painting hollysteers, right up my street.

Grannyme6 Sat 08-Aug-26 10:09:57

A late good morning to all from sunny mid Essex. Good to hear from Rosesand Lilac, and that your DS will be over to give support today. And best wishes to MD for a less stressful day.
Best wishes also to GM nursing a sore foot and to all those with struggles and worries 💐
A quiet day for us here, both ACs and families are away on holiday. I should be getting on with decluttering - we have so many books, packs of photos, now un-used crystal glasses from way back, etc. it’s quite daunting. But I’ve set myself an aim to do some each day and am hoping DH will get down to it as well - so much of it is his ‘stuff’!

Usedtobeblonde Sat 08-Aug-26 10:05:03

A very late Good morning from Stockport.
I have had a bad night as the electrodes? fitted to my body for the heart monitor have irritated my skin, they have itched all night and I have wanted to scratch like mad constantly.
Fortunately it is only a 24 hour one so I can take them off at 2pm.
It is going to be very hot all week, I am not looking forward at all.
Best wishes go to all of you who need them.

latedecember1963 Sat 08-Aug-26 10:00:13

Good morning everyone from sunny Lancashire.

So good to hear that your operation went well, RosesandLilac. Take time to recover and let others pick up the slack.

Marydoll, I hope your son and wider family begin to wake up to the situation you're dealing with day and night. I have personal experience of family who look the other way. It's very hard and your DH is lucky to have you.

Madeleine, you sounded a bit down about not being able to do as much as usual in your post yesterday. My MiL used to get similarly frustrated about not being able to do tasks that she'd previously never given a thought to.
Hope today is a better day for you.

Love your nails, Bellasnana! Gorgeous colour and flower design.

Sending good wishes to all folks, pets and grandchildren who are feeling a bit out of sorts and a bit meh.

DH has just taken the little chap for a walk so I'm going to tackle some tidying jobs.

Wishing you all the best day possible. 🌻

madeleine45 Sat 08-Aug-26 09:58:55

Good morning Micheal and all GN's from a sunny and already heating up North Yorkshire day. I am already frustrating myself today, with all plans for an early start gone. Had a rubbish night , and finally went off about 5am and didnt wake until nearly 9am. So by the time I was showered and dressed, the sun was already warming up, and too hot to go down the market now.

Yesterday, I got my shopping early, but felt very tired when I got home. After putting the shopping away, I had intended to carry on with some jobs, but fell asleep in the chair, which was annoying as it then put my day out of order. So not surprising I had an odd night. Now I need to get back to some sort of routine again, and while it is still hot, get out early.

So pleased to see that RosesandLilac is now safely home and able to start improving. No matter how good the beds are elsewhere , nothing beats our own bed does it?

I am going to come back later and have a good read of posts. Hope your day goes to plan everyone

Grandmabatty Sat 08-Aug-26 09:44:05

Hollysteers I love the painting. For some reason, it brings Mexico to mind

BlueSapphire Sat 08-Aug-26 09:05:37

Good morning everyone from a bright and sunny Northampton. My tablet is not letting me post anything this morning so I am having to use my phone which is taking me three times as long.

Dance classes yesterday filled most of my day - I do really enjoy them and know that they are doing me good exercise-wise. And the company is good too!

Managed to get most of little cat's medicine down her yesterday but she is nowhere to be seen this morning. She has a mind of her own as most cats do, and cannot be made to eat. I will try and tempt her down by offering treats.

Big event in our little close today - two couples have 50th birthdays this year and are having a lunchtime street party! Food and soft drinks are provided - we just need to bring our own alcohol if desired, plus tables and chairs. Thank goodness for the good weather!

I just need to walk round to the paper shop first for an extra newspaper then will get ready on my return.

Glad that Roses is home and comfortable, take it easy and let people wait on you!

I think I might have an eye infection as my eye feels gunky, and was a bit crusted on waking up. I am sure I have some unopened antibiotic eyedrops so will check the expiry date. If not it will be a phone call to the surgery on Monday.

Wishing all a pleasant and cooler day.

Llamas99 Sat 08-Aug-26 09:05:02

Bellasnana lovely summery nails! And Hollysteers a grand painting, colors outstanding!

harrigran Sat 08-Aug-26 09:03:09

Good morning from a dry NE with a forecast of 23°.
Yesterday was a lazy day, did nothing but read and watch TV, my neighbour brought in the bin so I didn't even get into the garden.
Today the family are off to stay with DIL's parents for a week so no visitors this weekend.
Good to hear that you are home RosesandLilac 💐
Marydoll 💐

Harris27 Sat 08-Aug-26 08:54:32

Lovely nails bellasnana.

hollysteers Sat 08-Aug-26 08:50:37

Good morning from Sunnyside Sandhills northwest coast.
An arduous morning yesterday putting ribbons on my tambourine for the music club next week 😁
Lots of washing after having five visitors and I have napkins soaking in bleach. Wish I hadn’t bought white linen napkins, they’re a faff to keep pristine.

I paid my solicitor’s hefty bill for work regarding my late DH’s reappearance of shares I knew nothing about and spent time in the garden. Nice to be quiet after a busy time. Also some painting.

Hope you feel better day by day R&L and thoughts to all🌺

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Sat 08-Aug-26 08:49:47

Good morning everyone from south Manchester where it’s the start of another gorgeous day.

Yesterday’s ai We We exhibition was amazing and we all found it mind blowing. Manchester is changing (like most major cities) beyond recognition. I think I’d like to go on a walking tour this autumn to reacquaint myself…

Later this morning we 3 are calling in to see a friend for croissants and coffee then our Yorkshire Lass and son in law will drive over to see my stepfather before going back home.

I’m being picked up at 1pm by friends such a nice couple who we’ve known 40 years and they’ve booked a table for lunch in Lymm. Looking forward to good company and food this afternoon.

Grammaretto Sat 08-Aug-26 08:39:52

Oh Marydoll! I feel faint just reading what you are coping with right now. I'm so glad your DS was able to help.
flowers

brook2704 Sat 08-Aug-26 08:37:32

Good morning everyone from Inverness where it’s dry with a few clouds and quite windy
So pleased you’re home roses and you’ve some help over the weekend
I woke up in the night and couldn’t get back to sleep for a while, I eventually did and now it’s late for me waking up. Never mind I’ve nothing much planned for today until this evening when I’m looking forward to going out to a line dancing social event.
Oh marydoll sending gentle hugs 🥰
Thinking of everyone with worries and struggles, take care all whatever the day brings 💐

dragonfly46 Sat 08-Aug-26 08:35:06

Good morning from sunny Leicestershire.

Yesterday we went to Sainsbury’s to buy lots of bottled water. Our water supply is being erratic. The engineer from Severn Trent said we don’t have a leak so it must be the filter coming into the house. The plumber is coming on Thursday.

At six o’clock the new alarm went off!
Everything in the house is falling apart including me!

Pleased you are home Rosesandlilac and hope you feel better as the day goes on.
Good news from you DH’s colonoscopy Marydoll.

Wishing everyone the best day possible.

WhiteSwan63 Sat 08-Aug-26 08:33:48

Marydoll 💐

Grammaretto Sat 08-Aug-26 08:32:28

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders. The sun is shining!

The midnight cirrus flowered for its once a year moment last night. I wouldn't have noticed it if I had not been washing up and baking a cake long after the dinner guests had left.
The dishwasher isn't working for some reason so I had to unpack it all and do the dishes in the sink.

Later today I'm going into Edinburgh as I am meeting some friends and we are going to an event.
My helper is going to Ayr. She worked like a Trojan clearing moss off the driveway yesterday.

My house viewing has left me lots to mull over.

I hope you are recovering well Rosesandlilac and home has managed in your absence.

Have a good weekend everyone.