Gransnet forums

Chat

Premium bond winnings.

(60 Posts)
Usedtobeblonde Fri 07-Aug-26 12:14:05

This may be odd to you but if you hold Premium bonds and when you win how many times in your mind do you spend that money?
I won £125 this month and I need new step ladders so I will spend it on those.
I need to hire a skip to get rid of all our decluttering , oh that’s ok I can put my winnings toward that.
My S told me this morning he is taking the GS’s away on Monday so I will give them extra spends.
By the end of the month I will have spent that money several times over.
I would spend on those things anyway but that sum of money means I justify all my purchases.
Are you disciplined or do you save it?

Tuliptree Sat 08-Aug-26 10:45:29

Of course it’s not a mug’s game. It’s fun - I did well in my first year and now it’s tailed off ( I did wonder about that …😂)

TerriBull Sat 08-Aug-26 10:38:36

I don't think it's a mugs game. I've only held mine for 4 months now. First two wins, £150 each time, third £25, this month nothing! who know that "nothing" may continue or I may win again, small or large. It's just the luck of the draw and the feel good factor of the possibilities.

Tuliptree Sat 08-Aug-26 09:48:42

Marmight

Last year I won around £3,500 on my PBs. This year not going so well. Every month I think, this is it I’ll get the Big One. Still waiting 🤣. My grandfather gave me a £1 PB in 1956 and I then inherited my father’s which automatically reinvest. I call it my ‘emergency fund’. I’m thinking of having an emergency quite soon as I’m not getting any younger….

Just a query - I thought you couldn’t inherit PBs. When my husband died, I was able to keep his bonds for a year ( and would have kept any winnings) At the end of the year I had to sell them and then I used the money to buy more and add to my holdings.

Grantanow Sat 08-Aug-26 09:32:08

I've never won, not even £25. It's a mug's game.

Bellasnana Sat 08-Aug-26 09:12:04

Mine goes into my UK bank account which is useful for when I need to send sterling to anyone as well as when I visit the UK(rarely). It saves having to convert it to euros. It all adds up, I’ve never had a big win but so far this year it adds up to £1500 or thereabouts so better than nothing.

Marmight Sat 08-Aug-26 08:38:48

Last year I won around £3,500 on my PBs. This year not going so well. Every month I think, this is it I’ll get the Big One. Still waiting 🤣. My grandfather gave me a £1 PB in 1956 and I then inherited my father’s which automatically reinvest. I call it my ‘emergency fund’. I’m thinking of having an emergency quite soon as I’m not getting any younger….

lovingit Fri 07-Aug-26 23:31:07

I call my premium bonds my vet account ,all winnings are reinvested and my original 10000 is now 17000.

If I had insured him I would have paid out at least £4000 over 10 years
.Luckily he has not needed any treatment but I was prepared as I know how expensive vets are

ferry23 Fri 07-Aug-26 19:05:57

I usually try and buy something I wouldn't have bought otherwise. Or if it arrives when I've got an appointment for a hair colour it covers that. Sometimes all of it sometimes a bit left over. And sometimes not quite.

But of course there are times when the boiler blows up, or the freezer breaks down or the laptop has a nervous breakdown....etc

Jaxjacky Fri 07-Aug-26 18:32:34

I won £100 this month, it just goes into my account, one month last year I won £1,000, that was shared with my children.

Tuliptree Fri 07-Aug-26 17:52:29

But this month it was £25

Tuliptree Fri 07-Aug-26 17:51:52

I once read up on what happens if you win one of the two £1m prizes. Apparently you are informed the day before by an AM - Agent Millionaire- who calls in person at your house. I have day dreamed this scenario. 😂

Doodledog Fri 07-Aug-26 17:39:27

I got £200 this month, which is the first win for a while (since February, I think). It gets reinvested, but if I won over £1000 I would split it between the children, I think. More than £10k would be split three ways, to include us.

Going on past performance, however, I won't be holding my breath.

MawsRosie Fri 07-Aug-26 17:28:47

I am currently reclining on my luxury yacht somewhere off the coast of Greece being hand fed Ferrero Rochers and pink champagne by my adoring and overpaid crew trying hard to get through last months winnings before I get stuck into this.
It’s a hard job but somebody has to do it.

kittylester Fri 07-Aug-26 14:59:09

DH and I both have a fair amount but neither of us has won anything for the past few months. I expect we are due a huge win soon. grin

SporeRB01 Fri 07-Aug-26 14:57:53

I have done very well with my premium bonds. Won £75 this month.

All winnings automatically reinvested buying more bonds.

Primrose53 Fri 07-Aug-26 14:49:39

This month both myself and husband only won £25 each. Daughter won £500 and she only has £2500 worth. So that was really good. husband is luckier than me but he has the max. Forgotten how many I have.

Dwmxwg Fri 07-Aug-26 14:44:22

We have a separate “holiday” bank account. We both pay in a small amount each month and top up with our premium bond wins. It usually covers our spending money for any holidays we take through the year.

Usedtobeblonde Fri 07-Aug-26 14:33:35

So am I YorkLady😎

YorkLady Fri 07-Aug-26 14:14:55

I too won £125 this month. Spent it already on the grandchildren 😂
At the month end I’m always dreaming how I’m going to spend the million pounds prize, when I get lucky next month 🤞

AmberGran Fri 07-Aug-26 14:08:05

Like a lot of others any winnings go back to buying more bonds. Eventually we might be able spend some smile

When we first bought them we won nothing for about a year but more recently we've won a bit more. My max is £350, DH won £650 this month, the most he's ever had. Mainly it's £25 or £50. I suspect we are winning more because so many have got rid of their bonds because interest rates went up.

J52 Fri 07-Aug-26 13:24:08

Dylis

I won £5000 a few months ago! Huge excitement and now planning a special trip away.
I was given a bond on my 1st birthday over 65 years ago. Didn't win a penny for all those years. I decided to buy some last year with money left to me by my Mum and still can't believe I won!

That’s great. Lovely to have a holiday you didn’t expect, certainly a windfall, enjoy choosing.

Dylis Fri 07-Aug-26 13:08:27

I won £5000 a few months ago! Huge excitement and now planning a special trip away.
I was given a bond on my 1st birthday over 65 years ago. Didn't win a penny for all those years. I decided to buy some last year with money left to me by my Mum and still can't believe I won!

Charleygirl5 Fri 07-Aug-26 13:02:16

My winnings, like others are used to buy more. I must be reaching the maximum one of these days. It would be good to spend the money eventually.

I won zilch this month, but I have won a small amount every month for months. There as to be a rest. I have never won a significant amount. £25 is better than nothing.

Ladyleftfieldlover Fri 07-Aug-26 12:55:01

I always put any winnings towards something special. In the past I’ve paid for a picture to be framed, bought a beautiful plate and put it towards a new dress. My daughter always buys more Bonds.

HelterSkelter1 Fri 07-Aug-26 12:50:38

That is lovely to hear J52. I would do something similar with a big win. Well a win between 500 and 1K