I bought myself flowers today. It has been a paricularly stressful week, I desrve them.😉
New series of Portrait Artist of the Year
Sign up to Gransnet Daily
Our free daily newsletter full of hot threads, competitions and discounts
Subscribe
Recently, a relative of mine sent me a huge bunch of flowers which must have cost them a lot of money which they don't have. Unfortunately, I hate receiving flowers and especially highly scented ones. I expressed heartfelt thanks as any civilised person would but was reminded of the old saying 'We give to suit ourselves not the recipient'. I would have much preferred a nice card or a 'phone call. Just saying.........
I bought myself flowers today. It has been a paricularly stressful week, I desrve them.😉
MT62 - I wish !
I think I need to correct that - every fortnight I buy a bouquet of mixed flowers, from the sales bucket in the Co-op.
I put them in my vase in the entrance hall. Don’t fill the vase with water - that’s the secret - it lasts for well over 2 weeks.
I change the. water almost daily.
If they look sort of ok after 2 weeks, I move them to the dining room and buy a fresh lot for the entrance hall
People need to give flowers for them not really for you ?...if that makes sense ? Thank them ... as it is meant as a kind gesture ? XXX
It has been really interesting to hear all sorts of different points of view. We are all different which is good.
To vickymeldrew about the lilies. The flowers I spoke of were Oriental Lilies which have a very strong scent. I put the arrangement on my garden table where I could see them from the kitchen window.
To Sheba: Please don't laugh but I am the complete opposite with sunflowers. They are probably my favourite with sweet peas. Good thing we are all different but interesting to hear your viewpoint.
I must admit not being able to go out much I do not get chance to purchase flowers myself and they are my weakness. I quite understand how some people differ and do not see it as a treat but for me I would be thrilled
Receiving flowers is definitely a modern dilema for me. I can’t bear the smell of lilies, but once you’ve thanked the giver profusely, and pretended to be pleased, then you’re likely to continue receiving lilies regularly !
I have been given two bunches of flowers recently, I have accepted with thanks and really appreciated the sentiment behind the gifts, however……both have been my least favourite, almost hated flowers, Sunflowers. I had to put them in another room so that I couldn’t see them every day.
I find their dark centers scary 😬
crazyH
Happy Birthday WelshPoppy -
MT62 - that’s awful
I’ve had flowers delivered to the doorstep - why not? - Better than taking than back to the depot, What a waste 😫
I always have flowers in the house. They’re on my fortnightly shopping list.
I’ll nickname you Elton CH 😂
I love flowers, but as a singer over the years, I’ve been inundated with flowers at the end of a run or various concerts. I'm not an arranger, just a plonker and have needed piles of vases to accommodate them. The house has looked like a funeral parlour…
Can’t complain, it’s been part of the job and thoughtful and I was amused when my late DH turned up for a final performance with a bunch of roses etc. from our own garden wrapped in tin foil. They stood out from the big cellophane wrapped jobs.
Not so many bouquets these days, but I’m always pleased to receive one.
My DH occasionally brings me flowers. I love them.
I love cut flowers, in fact I’m just planning to sow some hardy annuals for early summer flowering next year with luck. My ambition is to grow sufficient not to need to buy.
But I always have bowls full of flowers in the house, and I always buy if possible what is in season.
Happy Birthday WelshPoppy -
MT62 - that’s awful
I’ve had flowers delivered to the doorstep - why not? - Better than taking than back to the depot, What a waste 😫
I always have flowers in the house. They’re on my fortnightly shopping list.
Drr!! The above was intented for WelshPoppy . 💐
Many happy returns of your birthday*Tillytrotter*. Your flowers are beautiful. 💐
Happy Birthday WelshPoppy 💐
My last flowers were delivered my Royal Mail. Because no one was in they took them back to the depot, even though it was clearly stated fresh flowers on the box 🙄 my neighbour works from home so could have asked them to take them in, or just leave on the doorstep like all the other delivery people do.
It's my birthday today and I have received quite a few flowers. I like flowers and appreciate them but I'm no flower arranger and I don't have many vases so I always feel I don't do them justice, but I do my best even if it's not very good. As an aside, my daughters gave me an It's My Birthday badge which they made me wear when we went out. We popped into a plant shop on our way home, the owner saw my badge which I had forgotten about, and he handed me a Peace Lily as a birthday present.
I love flowers However was really disappointed when flowers arrived from my son for my birthday. The date of which is a bit after Valentine’s Day I think they were the leftovers as I couldn’t revive them.
As ypu rightly did thank them and give them to someone else if you don't like them. I petsonallylove getting fresh flowers. Maybe say at some point that you have developed allergies to certain 'scents'.... like certain perfumes,flowers etc
I do like flowers, but made the mistake last year of saying to DH that I didn’t know why DD had sent me flowers for my birthday as she knew I was going away for a few days. I didn’t realise until later that she’d very generously bought me a year’s subscription so I get them delivered every month- which always prompts DH to say “oh, it’s those flowers you hate.” I’ve given up trying to explain it to him. Ironic really as he can’t remember what I said 5 mins ago but remembers that.
On the theme of unwanted presents, my AC once bought me a cider themed Xmas hamper- I must have drunk cider once in the last 20 years so why they thought it was good idea defeats me. I didn’t say anything at the time except thank you very much, but did tell DD some time later.
in our hospital you can give potted plants no flowers to many allegries and lung infections
at home i only buy potted plant flower cactus my newest plants are jade trees
any know how make a lifesaver cactus flower it did 3 yrs ago not since
I love having flowers in the house and always get them on special occasions. Otherwise I sometimes buy a modest bunch of my own.
We have a food hub in our town . It is mostly for those in need but included in the products going out of date from the main supermarkets they also get flowers . Anyone can take the flowers and I usually take some once a week and they seem to last until I get the last lot . I donate tins every month to make up for this freebee and so it is a win win situation. I would never buy myself flowers but enjoy choosing these ones .
I am totally with the person who started this thread. I love flowers in their rightful setting but cut flowers cost people a great deal of money and last a few days before looking a mess. I feel bad to have to bin them BECAUSE they cost the donor so much so one is usually left with messy flowers and a vase of smelly water
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »Get our top conversations, latest advice, fantastic competitions, and more, straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.