Gransnet forums

Chat

The solar eclipse on Wednesday 12th August

(209 Posts)
FriedGreenTomatoes2 Thu 06-Aug-26 09:00:37

I’ve just bought some Celestron Solar Eclipse Glasses on line (cardboard frames) for myself and family for safe viewing. This eclipse will be as good as the one in 1999 - if cloud cover allows.

Do you plan to watch the event?

MissAdventure Wed 12-Aug-26 18:34:40

Does the time vary according to location?
Is that a ridiculous question?

MiniMoon Wed 12-Aug-26 18:34:01

That which looks blue is actually deep grey.

MiniMoon Wed 12-Aug-26 18:31:17

Well, that's just great. It's been a lovely sunny day until now. Clouds have accumulated and the sun is behind them just as the eclipse is about to commence.
I hope they clear away before 7 o'clock but I'm not holding my breath.

MissAdventure Wed 12-Aug-26 18:20:16

Thank you.
smile
I'm quite excited!
Hope i can remember what to do and when.

merlotgran Wed 12-Aug-26 18:18:38

Yes Miss A That’s what you do.
🤞

MissAdventure Wed 12-Aug-26 17:58:39

Eclipse!

MissAdventure Wed 12-Aug-26 17:58:03

So, with the collander method, I should stand with my back to the sun, and look at a sheet of white paper, where said collander will make lots of little elipse images through the holes?
Is that right please, anyone?

dogsmother Wed 12-Aug-26 17:46:33

Ideally placed here in the CI however I’m not so excited as the last one. Really did find that quite thrilling.

tanith Wed 12-Aug-26 17:45:05

Should get a good view from my patio with my colander. My son is taking his children out on a boat into the bay of Gibraltar with friends to watching I'm very envious.

MartavTaurus Wed 12-Aug-26 17:39:33

We're about to head west, probably won't get as far as Cornwall, but some good vantage points en route to stop for a 93% view.

JenniferEccles Wed 12-Aug-26 17:10:15

I’m surprised there haven’t been any warnings about fake eclipse glasses being sold as conforming to safety regulations.

I would have thought the criminal fraternity would have been spotted a money making opportunity months ago.

Grannybags Wed 12-Aug-26 15:41:45

This made me giggle…!

GrannyGravy13 Wed 12-Aug-26 15:37:31

I found out yesterday that we have been selling the glasses at work, perhaps I should make more of an effort to go in and see what they’re doing 🙀

One of our AC and family are going up to our country park to see the eclipse, the other will go to the beach at the end of their road. DH and I will sit on the patio with a glass of something and watch as the sun will be at the end of our garden.

For the last eclipse I was at one of our local hospitals with youngest child having the cast cut off of my foot and leg. The radiologists came through with X-ray plates to look through and asked if we wanted to go out side and see it. I can remember it going very still and chilly, DD was six and can not really remember much.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Wed 12-Aug-26 15:23:45

He was! I didn’t like to boast though.

Aveline Wed 12-Aug-26 15:22:45

FriedGreenTomatoes interesting career. I gather Elvis was one of your students.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Wed 12-Aug-26 15:01:14

I wouldn’t use a colander, it will strain your eyes. 😂😂

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Wed 12-Aug-26 15:00:29

Indeed HelterSkelter. Frightening for them with no ‘end’ they must have thought the world itself was ending.

HelterSkelter1 Wed 12-Aug-26 14:56:52

I am looking forward to the stillness. I am safeguarding my newly decataracted eye. At the moment just the constant bright sunshine is keeping me wearing sunglasses as soon as I leave the house and indoors as well in the kitchen in the morning.

How early man must have feared what on earth was happening.

Shinamae Wed 12-Aug-26 14:53:11

I’ll be in the cinema,to be honest this doesn’t really interest me…

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Wed 12-Aug-26 14:52:48

For those of you perhaps a tad curious about my (obsession) knowledge of the subject I hav a professorship in Eclipseology at Cambridge.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Wed 12-Aug-26 14:48:45

Won’t the cheese melt when the Moon passes the Sun?
A sort of lunar fondue.

Sorry, I’ll get me coat. 😁

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Wed 12-Aug-26 14:46:23

Presumably if you are on the moon looking up you see a big shadow cross the Earth. Which would be safer. Plus you can hold your hand up and make a rabbit's ear shadow on the Earth.…

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Wed 12-Aug-26 14:34:35

I think it’s the eerie stillness that gets me most.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Wed 12-Aug-26 14:33:54

Heard just now on local radio
“I’m from Grangemouth so not seeing the Sun is nothing new.“

😂

Aveline Wed 12-Aug-26 14:32:45

Really not very interested in this. I remember the total eclipse last time. It was mildly interesting but all I felt was, 'Is that it?'.