Gransnet forums

Chat

The solar eclipse on Wednesday 12th August

(209 Posts)
FriedGreenTomatoes2 Thu 06-Aug-26 09:00:37

I’ve just bought some Celestron Solar Eclipse Glasses on line (cardboard frames) for myself and family for safe viewing. This eclipse will be as good as the one in 1999 - if cloud cover allows.

Do you plan to watch the event?

eddiecat78 Wed 12-Aug-26 19:41:20

Usedtobeblonde

Quite honestly it has been an anticlimax here in Stockport.
Didn’t go dark the sun still shone and now it’s over.

Same here in Gloucester

granny'sbuttons Wed 12-Aug-26 19:39:01

Anti climax here too in Suffolk. The last one was far more dramatic and I’ve been rather disappointed. However, I have witnessed it, the last one in my lifetime!

ReturningFromExile Wed 12-Aug-26 19:35:38

Have just seen it, brief glimpses through my solar lenses which my husband bought in a pack of 5. It looks like dusk now, about 90 minutes earlier than normal for this time of the year.

Usedtobeblonde Wed 12-Aug-26 19:35:11

Quite honestly it has been an anticlimax here in Stockport.
Didn’t go dark the sun still shone and now it’s over.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 12-Aug-26 19:29:54

I wonder what stone age people thought if it. They must have been so frightened.

Nannylovesshopping Wed 12-Aug-26 19:28:53

What a mega experience, so gloomy here and absence of any bird song…… SE coast

Jaxjacky Wed 12-Aug-26 19:27:53

No cars, no birds, still.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 12-Aug-26 19:23:03

My DS is in Spain - just about to be total.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 12-Aug-26 19:20:30

MissAdventure

Isn't it just marvellous?
Mother nature, doing her thing.
I just keep nipping in and out of my flat, watching the darkness gathering.
Haven't looked at the sun...

Seeing the same as you Miss A, feeling rather emotional

Tuliptree Wed 12-Aug-26 19:18:33

Whitewavemark2

Cat has just come in

“Time for bed”.? 🐈😊

Next doors cat who spends a lot of time in my garden has been growling around looking discombobulated

MissAdventure Wed 12-Aug-26 19:15:26

Isn't it just marvellous?
Mother nature, doing her thing.
I just keep nipping in and out of my flat, watching the darkness gathering.
Haven't looked at the sun...

Whitewavemark2 Wed 12-Aug-26 19:13:16

Cat has just come in

“Time for bed”.? 🐈😊

TerriBull Wed 12-Aug-26 19:10:04

I'm north of South Downs, light's fading fast.

I've just What'appd my children "remember where we were in 1999? Center Parcs in Wiltshire with friends we all had the right glasses"

Whitewavemark2 Wed 12-Aug-26 19:00:59

And dimmer🌘

Whitewavemark2 Wed 12-Aug-26 18:53:13

South Downs here. The light is getting dimmer.

NannyPT Wed 12-Aug-26 18:51:16

I'm not going to look at it through glasses or any other contraption but it's dimming down now outside!

Cherrytree59 Wed 12-Aug-26 18:44:55

Or as my daughter just messaged from Cornwall packman

Cherrytree59 Wed 12-Aug-26 18:44:18

Jaffa cake here 🌙

Cressy Wed 12-Aug-26 18:41:30

Disappearing in Cheshire now

ginny Wed 12-Aug-26 18:40:54

I remember watching one when I was at senior school. We all used photo negatives to look through.
In 1999 we were in holiday in the south of France. We were out on a boat when everything went dark. Quite an experience. Will be outside with our colender a few minutes to watch this one.

MissAdventure Wed 12-Aug-26 18:40:10

Gwyllt

I think it does very slightly

Thanks.
It seems to be getting a little dark here, and breezy.

MiniMoon Wed 12-Aug-26 18:40:03

Youtube are showing live pictures from the Royal Observatory Greenwich if you're interested. I have it on as my sun is behind clouds. angrysad

MayBee70 Wed 12-Aug-26 18:38:15

crazyH

I went out with my colander but can’t see anything - I had the sun on my back - and raised the colander but no luck

You have to move it around a lot.

Gwyllt Wed 12-Aug-26 18:37:31

I think it does very slightly

crazyH Wed 12-Aug-26 18:36:59

I went out with my colander but can’t see anything - I had the sun on my back - and raised the colander but no luck