I’ve just bought some Celestron Solar Eclipse Glasses on line (cardboard frames) for myself and family for safe viewing. This eclipse will be as good as the one in 1999 - if cloud cover allows.
Have just seen it, brief glimpses through my solar lenses which my husband bought in a pack of 5. It looks like dusk now, about 90 minutes earlier than normal for this time of the year.
Anti climax here too in Suffolk. The last one was far more dramatic and I’ve been rather disappointed. However, I have witnessed it, the last one in my lifetime!
I've also often wondered what ancient people would have thought, possibly they attributed the eclipse as a sign of displeasure from some God or other. Druids getting a message that Stonehenge was lacking in symmetry or the latest straw man needed far more work on him, too many loose bits sticking out
No it didn't go dark here either. My memory of the 1999 one was during the day, total darkness, this has been a bit of damp squib of an eclipse. Although we did get total silence for a while. Daft pigeons now immersed in their interminable dialogue, probably saying something along the lines "was that it! !"
I enjoyed it more than last time. We have gcs here. The eldest did say she had expected things to go darker than they did. Hopefully they will remember it.
We sat in our kitchen when the eclipse was at its maximum. The kitchen was so dark and eerie. When I went out to the patio, the security light turned on because it was so dark. Not as good as the previous eclipse, I was at work when it happened.
Oh well that was a nothing, pigeons and seagulls still flying around and squawking, sun been shining all the time what an anti climax is it over now ? Is that it?
Was that it then. 1999 one was exciting.Sky went totally dark,birds flew back to their bushes thinking it was night time and then flew out again when the sun reappeared.
So that will be something else to get underwhelmed.
Oh no. On a clear night and in the right place they are wonderful! Magical. But it’s usually cloudy. I’ve spent every Perseid night for years lying in the garden staring at the sky and it freaks me out because it only seems like yesterday each year. I have been in Northumberland for it and it’s unreal. It takes a while for your eyes to get used to it and I’m surrounded by too many trees and light here but I usually manage to see a few.