Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday 6th August 2026

(44 Posts)
Gingster Thu 06-Aug-26 07:33:10

Good morning and it’s cooler , 🙏.

Today DIL is picking me up for shopping and hopefully collecting my eye drop prescription.

I’ll do a bit more decluttering in bedrooms as we desperately need new carpets. We only have two bedrooms and a tiny landing, so goodness knows where all the ‘stuff’ will go.
My friend/old neighbour has a carpet shop, which her son now runs, so I’ll get him round to have a look.

Awaiting a call from Solicitor to see if completion will happen tomorrow’. Who knows!
I’ve sent the House clearance lady flowers as her and her team did such a brilliant job. Nothing was too much trouble for her and such a lovely friendly person.

I agree a cab would be the best for you Marydoll. No stress and taken to the door.,

Enjoy the day as best you can 🌺

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 06-Aug-26 07:31:53

Morning all from West Oxfordshire. Another slightly cooler day beckons - 22 degrees. It will be back up to 30 again by the middle of next week.

I mentioned our snake adventure (with photos) over in Soop’s. I hope Ripley doesn’t try and bring any more snakes into the house.

I am popping to see a friend first thing to pick up a book. Then I will spend the rest of day on my new patchwork.

We should be going to the annual U3A summer lunch but OH still isn’t fit enough.

I hope R&L is comfortable.

Have a good day.

Ashcombe Thu 06-Aug-26 07:29:41

Good morning from a bright and sunny Torbay with no sign of rain.

Thank you for the good wishes for olddudders yesterday. I am pleased to report that he had an excellent journey home despite the heat in Paris. He had been worried by the fact that, bizarrely, there was somebody else’s name on his Eurostar ticket, bought last month at St. Pancras, but a member of staff kindly sorted it out and escorted him through the barrier.

My rehearsal went fairly well, although I am concerned about a few people who are still not secure with their lines. As I'm playing the part of a newsreader, I have the luxury of mine in front of me as a prop, although I do look up most of the time.

Thinking of those who are facing difficult times, especially with health and I hope we hear news of RosesandLilac soon.

🦩💐😎🥰🦩

baubles Thu 06-Aug-26 07:28:00

Good morning from South Lanarkshire. No rain at the moment and I hope that continues today.

DH and I had a wander round the Hunterian Museum in Glasgow University yesterday followed by lunch in one of our favourite restaurants.

Today we will collect DH’s children and bring them here for a couple of days.

Wishing everyone the best day possible.

Grandmabatty Thu 06-Aug-26 07:20:00

Good morning all from Polmont where it's currently 12° and cloudy. It rained on and off most of yesterday. GrannyGravy enjoy your London trip. Melanie that sounds like a lovely day out. GrandMattie I don't know how you do it all!
Yesterday became a very lazy day. I was a bit out of sorts and ended up doing nothing. I have had a pain under my ribs which I think is probably gall bladder related, so I ate sensibly. Today it has gone, thank goodness. Ds is in Corfu and isnt enjoying himself. He has been bitten mercilessly by mosquitos and his arm looks a mess.
Today will be another quiet day but I must get some housework done. I also need a trip to Aldi for bread and milk. Have a good day all.

luluaugust Thu 06-Aug-26 07:14:22

Good morning from a sunny W Kent. DD1 and SIL returned yesterday evening and today SIL is off to join a nephew at Silverstone. DD will stay on a bit longer. I think I might do an online shop.
Hope all is well for R&L and Madeleine
Best wishes

kittylester Thu 06-Aug-26 07:13:20

Good morning all from another bright morning in North Leicestershire. We too had some rain yesterday - but not enough.

Our lovely roof men are coming today to replace a fallen slate and check the roof over. DH will deal with them as I am helping at a memory cafe this morning.

We are gearing up for a visit by DD2 and family next week so shopping needs to be done.

We had a lovely afternoon with DD3 and the children yesterday.

Have the best day possible all.

Redcar Thu 06-Aug-26 07:12:57

Good morning from mid Essex, it feels cool outside. Hopefully a cooler day today. Another day of pottering in house and garden, I’ll start to put together some clothes etc ready to go to DD1’s at the weekend. I’m looking after the dog for the week while they’re away. I’ll have to come home frequently to water the tomatoes and check any post. I’m waiting for a letter from the solicitor dealing with my godmother’s estate, which will need immediate action!

grannygravy enjoy the Tower of London, it should be a bit cooler today so more comfortable for sightseeing.

latedecember I hope the little chap is feeling better this morning, it’s always worrying when little ones are unwell isn’t it? Especially when they can’t tell you where it hurts.

Thinking of rosesandlilac and hoping that she is comfortable and beginning to feel a little better.

Have as good a day as possible everyone, thinking of those who are unwell or worried.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 06-Aug-26 06:44:01

Good morning from a sunny S E Essex.

We are taking the train into London this morning, with DD and her boys. We are going to The Tower of London, I imagine it will be busy.

Thinking of Rosesandlilac 🌹🪻

We did have a few rain drops yesterday morning, not enough to wet anything, but it did show how dirty our cars are 🙀

Sending (((hugs))) to all 🙋‍♀️

Gagagran Thu 06-Aug-26 06:38:16

Good Morning all from a lovely cool morning -10 degrees outside.

I woke at 2am with a painful right upper arm and it was difficult to get dressed etc given that my left arm is still not fully functional following my rotator cuff injury last year. It is going to be a long day.

Hope there is news of Roses soon and that she is coping with the aftermath of surgery.

Take care everyone and best wishes to all with struggles or worries of any kind.

Marzipan22 Thu 06-Aug-26 06:33:55

Good morning from a cool, still Cornwall with a temperature of 20° estimated today, perfect!

I had a really lovely time yesterday with my son and youngest grandchildren. The Minions movie was crazy fun and afterwards my nine-year-old grandson showed us a stream in the town centre where there were loads of mullet swimming by.

I've seen a lovely winter jumper in M&S which I'm going to buy today; a rare occurrence for me as I prefer to use charity shops. After that I'll take a bus to visit my arty daughter-in-law and eldest grandson and see how they've settled in their new forever home.

karmalady Thu 06-Aug-26 06:29:56

Good morning from s somerset, rain-dancing has not worked but there is dew so the night must have been cool. A pleasant cool day today and cloudy skies

No dusting yesterday, I had better things to do. It took me three hours to cut and assemble A4 sheets for my new dress size in a printed pattern. This one is a precise make, so I am being sensible and using a pretty quilting cotton to toile first, not straight to the Japanese fabric that is on order

To the skip first and then pottering on the allotment, chatting with two people. I watered a bit and have put one bed of chopped greens to sleep temporarily, by covering it to preserve moisture. The worms need all the help they can get. It has just one month to revitalise

I did a bit in my sewing room and then straight to bed, having changed my bedding, feeling more energised than I have been throughout the heatwaves. No excuse, I need to be cleaning this morning and I have washing to do. Dusting and bottoming have been sorely neglected

I caught up with sourdough bread making and baked the best loaf yet, one slice a day does me. Plants are watered, new dress toile is cut-out and the road to cleaning is cleared. Two hours should do it and I will be back to hobbies after lunch

Melanie61 Thu 06-Aug-26 06:20:58

Good morning from Sheffield

I woke really early and thought that was it ,but managed to fall back to sleep for a good couple of hours. I feel a lot better for that .
Another day out today ,such a busy week !
We are going to a brilliant place today. It is set out like a Street with various buildings such as a bank ,prison ,courtroom etc.
It has been set up by the emergency services to teach children about law and order and safety.
There is an open day there with lots of emergency services vehicles and people on hand to explain about safety , law enforcement and how the emergency services work .
We are taking five grandchildren.
We went a couple of years ago and it was really excellent.
Then back to ours to be joined by two sets of parents for tea when they finish work.
I have already prepared meatballs in a pasta sauce. I have just got to chuck in some pasta and some garlic bread.
There will not be much left of the evening to relax. I will probably just fall into bed when they leave.
Take care everyoneflowers

Bellasnana Thu 06-Aug-26 06:16:06

Good morning from Malta where it will be 37°C and sunny.

I walked up to the local bakery yesterday, rather later than intended, and it was blazing! 🔥 Mad dogs and Englishmen sprang to mind!

No idea what I shall do today, my diary is blissfully empty 😅

I don’t know how you do it grandMattie, I’m worn out just thinking of your busyness!

latedecember1963 I hope your little man will be better when he wakes. It’s such a worry when they are unwell.

Take care all and I hope you have the best day you can.☀️

Samsara1 Thu 06-Aug-26 06:05:08

Good morning all. I'm not usually on line this early but I had an e mail to send sort off urgently and I was awake anyway. Only a little bit of rain yesterday morning but it was refreshing. U3A Writing for Pleasure group this morning, Ocado later and weigh in I suppose. Have a lovely day everyone.

Usedtobeblonde Thu 06-Aug-26 06:02:36

Good morning from Stockport.
We have had some rain on and off, enough to do any good?
I doubt it.
My garden looks awful but so do most others.
My S filled 3 large pots with red flowering plants yesterday for by the front door, just to give a splash of colour and easily watered with watering can.

My friend and neighbour came after lunch and just repeated the same conversation we have every time I see her, her D gets very impatient with her now, I think she sees what I have been seeing for some months now.
D and her H have recently moved near to mum after being some distance away and only seeing her infrequently, now she sees her every week and realises the change.

I hope all who need the rain get some today and we all find something to smile about.

latedecember1963 Thu 06-Aug-26 06:01:11

Good morning everyone from Lancashire.
Yesterday we had our 1st proper rain for weeks and we could almost hear the plants slurping it up.

In the morning we went to church to donate some items for the forthcoming Autumn Fair. It's an event we're reviving after a gap of some years.
One of our former clergy was there and it was good to catch up on her news.
The little chap had been a bit out of sorts the last couple of days. He was lethargic on Tuesday afternoon and last night he woke at about 10.20pm howling. We're not sure if he was teething or had tummy ache and he doesn't have the language to tell us yet.
I'll see how he is when he wakes up before deciding on today's plan.

Wishing RosesandLilac a good recovery and also the little boy who had a nasty fall off his bike.

Marydoll, I think the advice to use a taxi tomorrow is wise. As someone said, if you take a tumble and have a fracture you'll be no help to your DH.

Congratulations to all the DGC who got their exam results yesterday. 🌟

Wishing you all the best day possible. 🌻

grandMattie Thu 06-Aug-26 05:11:56

Good morning from a cooler Bristol.
Yesterday was full on! I got into church to find that it hadn’t been setup at all for the FAB cafe live concert; the vicar who would normally sort it our is on holiday. Cue shifting chairs by the dozen, finding tables, tablecloths, etc., as well as making the coffee, cutting cake and putting out 14 platesful, and so
I did have quite a few helpers, some useful, some getting under my feet, some irritatingly taking over…. To add insult to injury, the card machines hadn’t been charged, one of my helpers sorted out a laptop- I don’t understand how but it worked most of the time.
There were over 70 attendees all wanting a drink at the same time. I set the bossy helper the task of carrying drinks to their seats for the less able. They were mostly patient and kind.
The singer was very good and one or two attendees danced for the better part of the hour! We had several wheelchair attendees from a nursing home for the first time; it was good to see them but I don’t think we can cope with them on other than concert days.
I got home exhausted, with a load of tablecloths to wash. After lunch, I put them on the line. When I got back, a friend£ delivered 7kg of very ripe plums for jam! Blast! I then spent the next 4 hours making jam as the plums wouldn’t really last until today.
Today’s job is to print and glue labels on 31 jars of jam.
T’ai chi thrown in as well, though with my painful ankle, I’m not sure I’ll attend.
Thinking of r&l, hoping she’s doing ok. Hugs to those in sickbay. Carpediem 🦩🦩🦩🐦‍🔥🦩

Michael12 Thu 06-Aug-26 04:52:25

Good Morning Everyone ,
Its twilight here in Brackley but its dry, yesterday we did have rain shower for about 20 minutes .
Today usual routine with bus trip to Bicester , do a shop and see friends .
Health OK,
Take Care,
Mick