Gransnet forums

Chat

Funny spelling errors

(152 Posts)
nanna8 Wed 05-Aug-26 06:52:55

I’ve heard it all now. An online jewellery auction described a piece of gold jewellery as having ‘ nine carrots’. Made me laugh.

WithNobsOnIt Wed 05-Aug-26 17:03:18

Most spell checkers now seems to be programmed by people who learned to read and write in the Sixties with the ITA.

You know the Initial Teaching Alphabet. Where words were spelt the way they sounded. Edukashun for Education.

Think Pink Floyd. Another Brick In The Wall.

Ohmygoodness54 Wed 05-Aug-26 16:50:28

On my first day an audio typist in an engineering company I heard and therefore typed "spare ducks", it was later pointed out to me that it should have been spur ducts!

JenniRen Wed 05-Aug-26 16:35:49

Bukkie

Many supermarkets miss the h out of yoghurt. It drives me mad.

Both are correct.

I prefer Yo Valli Yogurt myself 😁

Nanny27 Wed 05-Aug-26 16:31:56

Also, in a similar vein, head chog.

Nanny27 Wed 05-Aug-26 16:30:49

A student some years ago was writing about her 'neck store naber'. Amazing how she could so completely misunderstand.

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Wed 05-Aug-26 16:20:18

Doing a college piece on my computer I typed in.....the 5 year old was engrossed in freelplay activities". Bloody autocorrect changed it to foreplay activities!!! I was mortified but it did make the class and lecturer laugh a lot and I did pass 🫣

4allweknow Wed 05-Aug-26 16:02:42

Have had a bit of a stressful time with a trades person today and been really cheered up with all these snippets.

Janiepops Wed 05-Aug-26 16:01:49

Erections #

Janiepops Wed 05-Aug-26 16:01:01

I was wanting to buy a bunk bed. In the shop window was a white one, with a sign saying ‘we have more erected inside’
You’ve guessed haven’t you!!?
I went inside and asked the male assistant if I could see some erecttions!!!😱😱😱
Never been so embarrassed in my entire life 🫨

Siptree Wed 05-Aug-26 15:39:38

Our local Facebook group had a post this morning from someone upset that the council had taken down a beautiful conquer tree.

vintageclassics Wed 05-Aug-26 15:36:10

I often signed emails with "if you have any issue with XXX please do not contact me " completely missing the words "hesitate to" between not & contact - oops!

WelshPoppy Wed 05-Aug-26 15:11:54

Very early on in my days receiving crime reports in the Police, I took a report of a burglary at a local plant nursery. I was 16 and had never encountered the business previously so I recorded it as Tree Seeders Nursery. Seemed a legitimate name for such a business. I was later informed that it was actually Treseders.

missdeke Wed 05-Aug-26 15:03:52

There was a post on a social media site yesterday with a photograph of a sign at a beauty spot saying 'Take only Photographs, Leave only Footprints, Kill only Tim'. Not sure what poor Tim has done to offend.

Tizliz Wed 05-Aug-26 15:02:02

One of Amazon's sellers has a standard reply "if you reply to this you will loose your place in the queue."

It must go out hundreds of times a day and I can't believe no-one has pointed it out.

JenniferEccles Wed 05-Aug-26 15:00:07

Oh yes predictive text can be annoying, but humorous as well!

And besides that, we all make spelling mistakes, don’t we, and I have enjoyed reading these funny ones.

Emerald888 Wed 05-Aug-26 14:58:30

I worked at a block paving factory. They had to repack some huge blocks of pavers. Tons of them!
Had been marked up as Horny Brown instead of Honey Brown! A misprint on packaging.
Don’t know why someone hadn’t taken a photograph and sold it to the Sun Newspaper😅.
Some howlers are down to spellcheckers.

mrsgreenfingers56 Wed 05-Aug-26 14:57:53

When I worked for a cat charity people often wrote to us asking to take their cat in saying it was "spaded" instead of spayed!!!

Quizzer Wed 05-Aug-26 14:49:30

I am pretty good at spelling, however my spellchecker has a habit of predicting what I want to type with some hilarious or embarrassing results!

JenniferEccles Wed 05-Aug-26 14:32:37

A lot of these mistakes stem from people who don’t pronounce words properly, sometimes producing words which don’t even exist like somethink and anythink !

I’ve lost count of the number of times staff in restaurants have asked us if we wanted anythink else!

Bukkie Wed 05-Aug-26 14:27:52

I love " haughty culture" Made me laugh.

Bukkie Wed 05-Aug-26 14:24:46

Many supermarkets miss the h out of yoghurt. It drives me mad.

ViceVersa Wed 05-Aug-26 14:12:38

MawsRosie

And a History teacher at a rather posh girls’ school told me how her head was in her hands when she read a Sixth form student’s Russian History coursework with repeated reference to Starling 🦅

Was he any relation to Lennon? wink

Spinnaker Wed 05-Aug-26 14:00:44

I must admit to having a chuckle earlier on a thread that mentioned an opinion pole as opposed to opinion poll 😁

MawsRosie Wed 05-Aug-26 13:50:50

And a History teacher at a rather posh girls’ school told me how her head was in her hands when she read a Sixth form student’s Russian History coursework with repeated reference to Starling 🦅

MawsRosie Wed 05-Aug-26 13:48:10

Indeed some people think we should be reigning back in the drought.