Gransnet forums

Chat

Funny spelling errors

(152 Posts)
nanna8 Wed 05-Aug-26 06:52:55

I’ve heard it all now. An online jewellery auction described a piece of gold jewellery as having ‘ nine carrots’. Made me laugh.

Witzend Wed 05-Aug-26 22:24:21

Grannybags

My Mum had subtitles on for Wimbledon.
It said there was booze around the court (boos)

Probably the dreaded A.I. mis-transcribing. I’ve seen quite a bit of that on FB clips.

MissAdventure Wed 05-Aug-26 22:06:09

I've emailed someone called Leigh before, and just before it sent, thankfully, noticed it adressed her as Leggings.

MissAdventure Wed 05-Aug-26 22:03:08

Lots of them...

MissAdventure Wed 05-Aug-26 22:02:09

And another

Grannybags Wed 05-Aug-26 21:57:20

MissAdventure

smile

🤣🤣

Grannybags Wed 05-Aug-26 21:56:04

My Mum had subtitles on for Wimbledon.
It said there was booze around the court (boos)

MissAdventure Wed 05-Aug-26 21:55:56

smile

Charleygirl5 Wed 05-Aug-26 21:53:50

I live in London and apparently in India a garage is an annexe or a flat. Today I read in the local Nextdoor that somebody had a 2 room grange to let but I don't know the rental price.

Some of these are hilarious, just what I needed.

EkwaNimitee Wed 05-Aug-26 21:51:24

Is it only in English that we can get these hilarious misspellings?!

EkwaNimitee Wed 05-Aug-26 21:50:03

Seen on a sign in a Greek island harbour ‘Birth Place for Boats’

MissAdventure Wed 05-Aug-26 21:48:29

Randy Ponce grin
That's made my day!!!

Bukkie Wed 05-Aug-26 21:34:43

JenniRen - They are all wrong. A quick google states yoghurt without the h is the American spelling.

JenniRen Wed 05-Aug-26 20:38:05

Bukkie

JenniRen - Yoghurt without the h is the American spelling.

Best tell Yo Valli, based in Somerset, Longley Farm in Yorkshire, Langage Farm in Devon (we knew the people who started that).

They are all getting it wrong.

Witzend Wed 05-Aug-26 20:34:22

DianneAngel

Slightly off thread. The first time I met an American, I was a very naive 16 year old. He introduced himself " hi, I'm Randy."

In an American magazine I once read of someone called Randy Ponce…

To be entirely fair, IIRC Ponce is a Spanish name and would generally be pronounced (in Spain anyway) as Ponthay.

DianneAngel Wed 05-Aug-26 19:57:15

Slightly off thread. The first time I met an American, I was a very naive 16 year old. He introduced himself " hi, I'm Randy."

valdali Wed 05-Aug-26 19:39:47

Subtitles used to be hilarious.Especially with the football.

An amazing goalie managed to save the ball with his mind.

& Anne Widdicombes arse was also praised in another match.

Abcdefg Wed 05-Aug-26 19:03:45

Local butcher advertised "hole lamb". Pedant me pointed it out to him.

Knittypamela Wed 05-Aug-26 18:23:32

There's a rough area in Belfast called Tigers Bay. Seemed much softer when I saw it spelt Tiggers Bay.

Luckygirl3 Wed 05-Aug-26 18:22:36

My doctor OH once asked a patient "How is your urine?" - and the patient replied "Oh I can hear you just fine doc" - clearly not!

Bukkie Wed 05-Aug-26 18:22:06

JenniRen - Yoghurt without the h is the American spelling.

Witzend Wed 05-Aug-26 18:21:53

I thought some of you would like this:

Boadicea Wed 05-Aug-26 18:14:33

A lady I looked after told me how as a new medical secretary (to the consultant dermatologist who was later to become her husband) she used to type his letters from recorded dictation and was very embarrassed when he pointed out that he was recommending a patient had BELOW KNEE stockings, not BALONEY stockings!

Oldnproud Wed 05-Aug-26 18:08:14

Tizliz

One of Amazon's sellers has a standard reply "if you reply to this you will loose your place in the queue."

It must go out hundreds of times a day and I can't believe no-one has pointed it out.

That one reminds of Ancestry.co.uk, which invites you to add an 'alternate' parent / spouse etc.

Dizzyribs Wed 05-Aug-26 17:39:31

My favourite was an advertisement in a school staff room advertising a literacy dairy.

RobertaDanversWalker Wed 05-Aug-26 17:10:39

On a market stall one year selling seasonal items a handwritten card saying "Christma's Card's.