Gransnet forums

Chat

Public toilets

(63 Posts)
tanith Wed 05-Aug-26 08:06:48

People use cafe or McDonalds loos if caught short some pubs too it’s really not good enough.

Primrose53 Wed 05-Aug-26 08:01:32

ViceVersa

The ones around here have all been closed by the council!

So where do people go?

I do know (and was surprised to learn) that councils do not have a responsibility to provide public toilets although most do.

ViceVersa Wed 05-Aug-26 07:50:59

The ones around here have all been closed by the council!

Nell82 Wed 05-Aug-26 07:49:37

I haven't seen any decent graffiti for ages. The last I remember was written along the bottom of the door above the gap: Beware of limbo dancers

Primrose53 Wed 05-Aug-26 07:41:15

People must report disgusting public toilets. My late Mum needed to use them a lot and many were dreadful. I always reported them and usually sent photos.

All those I reported locally have now been renovated and are very much better. It has taken a long time but I consider that a good result.

I think the main problem is not instructing cleaners into how to do a thorough job. When you go to places like Spain, Croatia and Portugal toilets are absolutely spotless. In Croatia they have ladies sitting at the door and you drop a few coins in their basket and they ensure the minute you leave the seat is washed down, the floor mopped over and toilet rolls, soap etc is replenished ready for the next person.

rosie1959 Wed 05-Aug-26 07:25:02

I very often have to use one when on holiday or out for the day my bladder is not that brilliant. They vary on cleanliness but most are fine. I have never put paper on the seat or hovered above it unless they are the cold stainless steel type and have managed to get to this age without any adverse effects. Has anybody actually caught anything from a public toilet seat ? Probably not

Greyduster Wed 05-Aug-26 07:22:37

Some of the worst public toilets I have come across have been in hospitals!

M0nica Wed 05-Aug-26 07:16:51

Some people swathe the loo seat with paper before sitting on it.Presumably for hygiene reasons, then if any of it falls on the floor when they stand up, they leave it there because it would be unhygienic to pick it up because it might be contaminated by anything that may have dripped on the floor and dried from other people, and they are afraid of touching it.

I was brought up never to make contact with the seat in a public loo, but just hover squat above it. But in my childhood, there was no soft tissue and Bronco would never have stayed on the loo seat. It would just have slipped off.

BlueBelle Wed 05-Aug-26 07:16:09

Well you’re very lucky you don’t need to go near a public loo then Crumbly
I use public toilets and many are looked after fine, in fact very well, some aren’t, but that’s how life is unfortunately.
But I would never turn my nose up at a public loo they have come to my rescue more than once

Sallywally1 Wed 05-Aug-26 07:13:57

I have a physical problem which means I need the loo fairly urgently sometimes! Can’t win

fancythat Wed 05-Aug-26 07:07:05

I stay clear as much as I can.
But I would say generally, they are better than they used to be. Locally anyway.

loo roll - I always imagine kids.
Better than other things imagined.

Crumbly159 Wed 05-Aug-26 06:06:38

I have horrifying memories of these Pits of Hell from long ago.

I would never go near one, nowadays, even if I was offered the Crown Jewels.

Sallywally1 Wed 05-Aug-26 06:02:00

Why, oh why do people leave loo roll all over the floor in public loos? So yucky. They wouldn’t do it at home so why in a public place?