Gransnet forums

Chat

British

(149 Posts)
Nurseundercover Sun 02-Aug-26 03:46:39

Article in telegraph
^^Non-Muslim police staff invited to fast during Ramadan
West Midlands force says practice helps officers understand significance of religious festival for residents^^

I don’t believe one needs to experience a religion’s practice to understand the significance. This is on the back of the recent controversy about halal meat being served in schools and hospitals so as to accommodate specific faiths.
Whatever next, no blood transfusions so that we can experience the significance according to Jehovah, or wear a burka, not to mention experience “sharia law”.
I understood being British and living in a progressive society, with equal rights for all encourages free thinking so let us just be.

Oreo Sun 02-Aug-26 14:03:41

They were facts garnered from the Internet sources Tuliptree
Just as presumably your facts are.

westendgirl Sun 02-Aug-26 14:01:59

I think the comment about Dr Michael Mosely was extremely unkind and as Tuliptree said , unfair.
Have you ever fasted, Oreo? If you did you would see what effect it had on you, which is probably not quite the same as it could have on me. I am very sure that those who do practise fasting have the experience to to do it safely.Why do you think people should n't drive ?

Rosie51 Sun 02-Aug-26 14:00:04

Last post to Tuliptree

Tuliptree Sun 02-Aug-26 13:59:46

Oreo

So maybe stop the everlasting requests for evidence Tuliptree

Nope - you are stating opinions as facts without any evidence . You are of course perfectly free to do that and I’m perfectly free to ask you for the evidence on which you are basing your opinions.

Rosie51 Sun 02-Aug-26 13:59:27

I've not posted anything that you've asked me to provide the relevant evidence for. You have made a statement and I'm asking for links to your evidence for the first time, so why do you consider it fair to keep me waiting, punishing me for the 'sins' of others? I've asked first in this instance so surely it would by your standards be fair to answer me?

Oreo Sun 02-Aug-26 13:55:13

So maybe stop the everlasting requests for evidence Tuliptree

Graceless Sun 02-Aug-26 13:55:08

Fallingstar

I imagine is voluntary and just for a day, is fine for those fasting to eat before sun up and after sun down so anyone doing this won’t faint away.
Is obvs an initiative to raise awareness of Ramadan and Islam more generally, but not sure it will achieve much except in serving as click bait on forums like this and so being counter productive.
In London near us the local Mosque has open days and invites all the community in to see what a mosque looks like and they operate a collection point for local food banks and have been running free initiatives for all children in a park with games and a bouncy castle. Quite often local Imams, Rabbis, and CofE Reverends get together and organise community projects.
But then these stories don’t get publicised.

Too right!

Oreo Sun 02-Aug-26 13:53:56

😄What I thought.

Tuliptree Sun 02-Aug-26 13:52:40

Oh I think I’ll wait for the evidence I’ve been asking for - after all, I did ask first ( several times) so it’s only fair.

Rosie51 Sun 02-Aug-26 13:50:04

Oh perhaps you could provide the links so we may also read them, thanks.

Tuliptree Sun 02-Aug-26 13:48:20

Rosie51

^As Tuliptree says, where's the evidence that people are underperforming? You are more likely to be on a bus or train that crashes because someone who overeats/has a bad diet had had a coronary or stroke at the controls.^

Tuliptree is there a reason you haven't demanded evidence of Graphite's statement? She must have evidence of both frequencies to be able to compare the relative risks.

I didn’t need to ask for a source because I’d already read the information on a variety of reputable web sites .

Tuliptree Sun 02-Aug-26 13:40:01

Oreo - what a truly sweepingly unfair comment to make.

Rosie51 Sun 02-Aug-26 13:39:57

As Tuliptree says, where's the evidence that people are underperforming? You are more likely to be on a bus or train that crashes because someone who overeats/has a bad diet had had a coronary or stroke at the controls.

Tuliptree is there a reason you haven't demanded evidence of Graphite's statement? She must have evidence of both frequencies to be able to compare the relative risks.

Oreo Sun 02-Aug-26 13:31:01

Grammaretto

Well I'm a Quaker and I think it would be good for everyone, regardless of their occupation, age, gender, ethnicity or sex to experience sitting in silent meditation for an hour a week.

I am being unrealistic but it wouldn't be such a bad thing.

I've just been to Quaker Meeting and feel calm and refreshed and kind towards my fellow humans.

Yes, meditation is good.
All day fasting isn’t.

Oreo Sun 02-Aug-26 13:29:59

Tuliptree

Oreo

I wouldn’t bring up Dr Michael Mosely if I were you considering that he thought a long walk in extreme heat not carrying a water bottle was a good idea.

Not a nice comment to post - his death was nothing to do with fasting

But it shows not to do anything he recommended.

Grammaretto Sun 02-Aug-26 13:29:18

Well I'm a Quaker and I think it would be good for everyone, regardless of their occupation, age, gender, ethnicity or sex to experience sitting in silent meditation for an hour a week.

I am being unrealistic but it wouldn't be such a bad thing.

I've just been to Quaker Meeting and feel calm and refreshed and kind towards my fellow humans.

Oreo Sun 02-Aug-26 13:29:10

Tuliptree

Oreo

The human body was indeed designed to cope with the famine and the feast but not when carrying out responsible jobs or driving.

Evidence please

Are you having a laugh?

Tuliptree Sun 02-Aug-26 13:28:51

Oreo

I wouldn’t bring up Dr Michael Mosely if I were you considering that he thought a long walk in extreme heat not carrying a water bottle was a good idea.

Not a nice comment to post - his death was nothing to do with fasting

Oreo Sun 02-Aug-26 13:28:40

Just reading much info on the Internet Tuliptree but if there is any other fast way of acquiring facts do let me know.😃

Tuliptree Sun 02-Aug-26 13:27:58

Oreo

The human body was indeed designed to cope with the famine and the feast but not when carrying out responsible jobs or driving.

Evidence please

Oreo Sun 02-Aug-26 13:27:03

The human body was indeed designed to cope with the famine and the feast but not when carrying out responsible jobs or driving.

Tuliptree Sun 02-Aug-26 13:25:38

Oreo

Also apparently more traffic accidents occur late afternoon due to low blood sugars.

Apparently? Evidence please.

Oreo Sun 02-Aug-26 13:25:17

I wouldn’t bring up Dr Michael Mosely if I were you considering that he thought a long walk in extreme heat not carrying a water bottle was a good idea.

Oreo Sun 02-Aug-26 13:23:40

Also apparently more traffic accidents occur late afternoon due to low blood sugars.

Graphite Sun 02-Aug-26 13:22:43

Someone who has practised the Muslim faith for years understands their own body and what is needs to get through the day just as most adults do.

People from all faiths and walks of life undertake fasting diets.
The late Dr Michael Mosley used to advocate them as well as time-restricted diets to give the digestive system a break and control blood sugar.

Then human body was designed to withstand sustained periods of famine and feast and can adapt to it.

As Tuliptree says, where's the evidence that people are underperforming? You are more likely to be on a bus or train that crashes because someone who overeats/has a bad diet had had a coronary or stroke at the controls.