Gransnet forums

Chat

What made you fall in love with comedy?

(85 Posts)
CrazyUSA Sat 01-Aug-26 18:02:04

Father Ted.

Fairlandia Wed 26-Aug-26 18:48:26

On the radio, Round the Horne, on tv Morecambe & Wise and in print Clive James’ tv reviews in the Observer. I can still laugh at them all.

brownbunny17 Fri 07-Aug-26 18:06:23

Only Fools & Horses, and loved to watch Dave Allen. Also The Two Ronnie's.
Don't seem to find the modern humour funny 😐

Duvetdiva Wed 05-Aug-26 13:49:30

Crazy USA
I’m sorry you were subjected to so much scorn over your question ‘What made you fall in love with comedy?’
What a picky, finicky lot we are! I’m sure we all knew what you meant even though it was phrased unusually.
I hope the reaction doesn’t make you lose confidence to post again

Indiebee Wed 05-Aug-26 13:11:33

Stand-ups - Oh Help! No!

Molesworth, Monty Python, Ab Fab, Fawlty Towers - Yes.
I like word wit and some visual cartoons as well.

Aveline Wed 05-Aug-26 12:52:17

Nobody 'falls in love with comedy'. It's innate. Just look at videos of young babies laughing.

Geordiegirl1 Wed 05-Aug-26 12:51:05

The ‘film noir’ episode of Father Ted is genius -with Father Todd Unctious and the Golden Cleric Award.
I loved Jake Thackery’s deadpan delivery - Oh, Sister Josephine.’ And all the ‘drolls’’ from Chic Murray to Bobby Thompson and Les Dawson.

lizzypopbottle Wed 05-Aug-26 11:36:02

See above about MMcI and JB: Their live comedy, in my experience, is anecdotal family stuff about theit own trials of being a husband and father and is very much reflective of, and relatable to their audience's own family experiences.own
I did see a Michael McIntyre TV series some time ago but I found it a bit flat. He definitely shines on stage. I saw him twice in Bristol with my daughter and we were both aching with the laughter as we left the theatre.

lizzypopbottle Wed 05-Aug-26 11:26:03

TiggyW I don't remember Michael McIntyre or John Bishop swearing or being crude in their stage shows.

DamaskRose Wed 05-Aug-26 08:24:34

Rikki Fulton, Scottish comedian. His Rev I M Jolly.
Upstart Crow.
I’m not “in love” with comedy but these two make me laugh out loud. I had to think for quite a long time to come up with these!

WithNobsOnIt Wed 05-Aug-26 06:13:22

Watching Steptoe and Son on the tele as a child with Mum.and Dad in the living room.

As soon as l heard the theme music.
I loved Harold and Albert and Hercules the horse. Hilarious.

TiggyW Wed 05-Aug-26 01:02:13

Best non-Lancs. comedians:-
Bill Bailey - very talented
John Cleese
Michael Palin
Tim Allen (American - Home Improvement) I don’t usually like US humour, but that show was brilliant.
John Le Mesurier
Tony Hancock
The Two Ronnies
Morecambe & Wise (Lancs./Yorks!)
Richard Wilson (One Foot in the Grave)
Billy Connolly (apart from the language)
Dave Gorman (Life is Goodish)

NOT funny -
Sarah Millican
Alan Carr
Michael McIntyre
James Acaster
Josh Widdecombe
Joe Lycett (creepy)
Basically most of the new generation of ‘comedians’ who think that they have to swear and be crude to get a laugh.

TiggyW Wed 05-Aug-26 00:40:44

Mike Harding is from Lancashire, not Yorkshire! 😳
He was brilliant - look up his songs on YouTube. My favourites are ‘Napoleon’s Retreat from Wigan’ and ‘Crumpsall Kamikaze Cubs go to Camp’. He could also sing folk songs.
I don’t think anyone has mentioned Peter Kay! He’s the only comedian who has me in tears of laughter before he’s even opened his mouth! His facial expressions say it all.
The best comedians are definitely from Lancashire!

grannybuy Tue 04-Aug-26 23:48:16

I don’t find all ‘ comedy ‘ funny, but have some favourites. I found the Only Fools and Horses episode with the blow up dolls very funny. Dave Allen could be wryly very funny. Faulty Towers episode with O’Reilly the builder made me laugh. The Scottish Still Game series was definitely funny - the Methadone Mick episode in particular. I never watched Monty Python, but after resisting a friend’s suggestion of going to see Spamalot for some time, I finally gave in and loved it.

JPB123 Tue 04-Aug-26 21:09:34

My Dad ! Hilarious!

Magenta8 Tue 04-Aug-26 20:39:13

Whitewavemark2

I think humour is innate.

Look at how babies laugh.

I agree. Whitewavemark2: Part of a baby's charm is that if you tickle them they laugh and if you go boo or make faces they see the joke right away and laugh.

I don't remember a specific point when I "Fell in love with comedy." Like most people, I just grew up with it.

This is another opinion survey style thread.

Crumbly159 Tue 04-Aug-26 20:24:33

The late Dave Allen. Very wry and sharply observant - even if Dad raged against him because he was irreverant about the Pope.

supergabs1960 Tue 04-Aug-26 20:23:23

The Goons. I used to listen to the Goon Show with my Dad when I was little

Emelie321 Tue 04-Aug-26 20:06:26

Yes! Mawmac also a fan of Jasper Carrott.

MissAdventure Tue 04-Aug-26 20:01:06

Me too. smile

nexus63 Tue 04-Aug-26 19:53:18

i don't think i ever fell in love with comedy, i like billy connolly kevin bridges, rab c nesbit, when i was younger i enjoyed love thy neighbour (not pc now), don't like american comedy. i think if something makes you laugh then great, i spend 99% of my time on my own so i watch a lot of youtube, funny children, funny pets, job fails, they are all funny in different ways. if anything makes you laugh then brilliant.

Mawmac Tue 04-Aug-26 18:35:42

So many,
Monty python, which my Mum thought was crude & vulgar,
Morecambe & Wise, which we watched as a family,
Tommy Cooper, one of a kind,
Dave Allen, I watched some of his sketches on YouTube recently, still hilarious.
Porridge
Father Ted, brilliant
Fawlty Towers
The Young Ones
Jasper Carrot
Eddie Izzard
French & Saunders - sad that the rest of these are men, but nowadays plenty of good women comedians - Sarah Millican, Sarah Pascoe, Diane Morgan.
Humour is individual and, I suppose as we get older we will have a favourite era, but there is still lots of talent about.
I have been going to Edinburgh Festival Fringe for over 20 years now, and have seen some great, usually not famous, comedians & comedy theatre.

Greyduster Tue 04-Aug-26 18:18:44

My family. Irish. Gatherings were spent rolling around with laughter.

I have to say that Irish humour is infectious. Last year, on a trip to Northern Ireland, DD and I stood in a bus shelter on Rathlin Island with fourteen other people who were all soaked to the skin. There was a family of four adults and some children who started up some banter with each other but before long we had all been dragged into the conversation and everyone - even DD who is reticent in company - was laughing heartily. It lifted our spirits on one of the wettest days I can remember.

Musicgirl Tue 04-Aug-26 17:42:24

I don't know about falling in love with comedy but I have always enjoyed good comedy and, sadly, there has been very little of it in recent years. I remember the very first episode of Dad's Army that l watched, aged eight. None of us could have realised realised thàt the episode we were watching for its first outing the episode with the German u-boat crew, would go on to be the most iconic in the programme's history. Another sketch that, to this day never fails to make me laugh despite having seen it many times since I was a child and knowing exactly what is coming next, is Morecambe and Wise with Andrě Previn - "Mr. Andrew Preview."

RSALLAN2002 Tue 04-Aug-26 17:31:51

Mr Pastry although he was rather frightening at times.

AuntieE Tue 04-Aug-26 17:12:30

I have never cared for the kind of comedy being discussed here.

Comedies as opposed to tradgedies in the straight theatre, opera and ballet, I usually enjoy, but equally enjoy tragic or satirical theatre.