Gransnet forums

Chat

Things you never see now

(174 Posts)
NanKate Sat 01-Aug-26 16:44:49

During my early years Mum would take us to the Botanical Gardens where there was a small machine that for a few pence you could type in your name and a piece of metal came out showing an imprint of your name. Don’t know what it was called.

ferry23 Tue 04-Aug-26 07:11:37

I thought of all these while trying to go to sleep last night (I bet they'll be loads more)

C & A
Woolworths
Home & Colonial
Macfisheries
Rumbelows
John Collier
Lilley & Skinner
Dolcis
Mansfield
True Form
Timothy White
Freeman Hardy & Willis
Martin Ford
Richard Shops
Skechley
Fine Fare
Gateway
Radio Rentals
Littlewoods

Happilyretired123 Mon 03-Aug-26 22:07:08

BoggledMind

I never see dark chocolate Bounty bars now ☹

They have stopped making them now-a pity as imo much nicer than the milk chocolate ones

Geordiegirl1 Mon 03-Aug-26 21:06:28

Sta-Blonde and Brunitex Shampoos.

Geordiegirl1 Mon 03-Aug-26 20:52:56

À machine that dispensed one squirt of perfume at you.

HowVeryDareYou2 Mon 03-Aug-26 20:49:50

Those light blue, 3-wheeled disability cars

3-wheeled cars such as Reliant Robins

Nuns

MissAdventure Mon 03-Aug-26 20:40:25

Going for a song, was it??

MissAdventure Mon 03-Aug-26 20:39:41

The ittle riny cages, with a domed top, and a pretend bird which trilled and tweeted.
There was one at the beginning of an antiques programme with Arthur Negus (?) on it

Nanny27 Mon 03-Aug-26 20:34:35

Drinking fountains

Nanny27 Mon 03-Aug-26 20:33:36

Shopping baskets with wheels and a long handle

MissAdventure Mon 03-Aug-26 20:27:30

Red buckets filled with sand, to put your cigatettes out in

SunnySusie Mon 03-Aug-26 20:19:29

Bus conductors wearing a harness with a hand operated ticket machine. A metal plate on the back of bus seats which said Stubber, for putting out cigarettes.

MibsXX Mon 03-Aug-26 19:48:35

Scribbles

When did you last see a motorbike and sidecar - outside of a transport museum, that is?

In Dorset fairly frequently tbf, I remember Bubble Cars also

Tenko Mon 03-Aug-26 19:26:51

BoggledMind

I haven’t seen a mangle in use since we had one when I was very young. I have seen the odd one in a museum but that's about it.

We have an old mangle in our garden . It was left in my DHs first house back in the early 80s . It now has a plants on it . And mason jars with solar lights .

MissAdventure Mon 03-Aug-26 18:34:59

Oh yes!
Not seen that for years.

Nanny27 Mon 03-Aug-26 18:28:01

Old men using wooden underarm crutches with one trouser leg pinned up

MissAdventure Mon 03-Aug-26 18:04:16

Linco beer, and the egg and lemon one. smile

Kathmaggie Mon 03-Aug-26 18:03:05

Shampoo sachets

MissAdventure Mon 03-Aug-26 18:02:10

Those butcher shops were whereu nan used to buy her meat.
She asked for half a pigs head once, and the butcher said "do you want the eye left in"?

When she said no, he poked the eye out a threw it at me!!!
And it was blue!!!!

Horrible, horrible...

Kathmaggie Mon 03-Aug-26 17:46:31

No spitting signs on buses I think was due to TB. Spitoons in pubs for snuff users.
I rarely see older children and young adults giving up seats on public transport

Skodadoda Mon 03-Aug-26 17:43:04

ferry23

sawdust on the butcher's shop floor

And marble counters to keep the meat cool 😱

Estrellita Mon 03-Aug-26 17:31:34

Grammaretto

Animal carcasses hanging up in butcher's windows.
I remember c1975 a young American visitor was deeply shocked to see the raw meat. She had only ever seen wrapped meat in supermarkets.

I used to hate seeing those animal carcasses. As a child I had a phobia of butchers' shops and used to ask my mother to cross the road so we didn't have to see them. And the slot machine showing a man hanging!! How disgusting!

Scribbles Mon 03-Aug-26 17:14:27

Grantanow

Boyes shop in Hull on Hessle Road had the zipwire system to a central cash desk overlooking the whole shop.

There was also a vacuum tube system which was still in use in the early 70s when I worked at a car spares & repairs place.
The people in the workshop would put the payment and customer details into a cylinder, insert the cylinder into a brass tube, press a button and, with a loud 'Pop' of evacuating air, the cylinder would be sucked up the tube, through the ceiling and land with another 'Pop' at the end of the tube beside my desk.
I would then issue a receipt and any change due and despatch the cylinder back to the folks below down a parallel tube.
At one time, I was having a bit of a thing with one of the mechanics and when things were quiet we'd send each other little flirtatious notes up and down via the tube - until his boss intercepted one and pinned it up in the locker room. 🤫

Casdon Mon 03-Aug-26 17:04:03

Henna in the shampoo aisle. I can still remember the smell of it.

grannybuy Mon 03-Aug-26 16:45:44

Going into the co op, which had two counters with all goods on shelves behind, and assistants to fetch what you wanted. One counter was for dry goods, and the other for bacon, cold meats, butter and cheese, and of course, you gave the assistant cash for the till!
,

MooM00 Mon 03-Aug-26 16:38:48

Waltz nail varnish with a tiny lipstick in the top. Sold in Hammonds in Hull in the sixties