Gransnet forums

Chat

Daft advice

(46 Posts)
watermeadow Tue 28-Jul-26 17:24:31

I’ve lived through lots of heat waves and droughts. Like every other natural event now, we've been bombarded with advice and warnings.
In the beginning of this 40 days of heat and no rain the universal advice was to draw curtains all day. So I sat in the dark, bored silly, until I imagined untold thousands topping themselves in despair. I opened the curtains and windows and sat in front of the fan, at least enjoying the view of sunlight and blue sky.
The other daft advice is to not brush teeth with the tap running during a drought. Each person is saving perhaps a litre of water, which is but a drop in the ocean of what we use every day.
What futile advice have you given up this summer?

MissAdventure Thu 30-Jul-26 14:36:22

Thats a good idea.
There again, if you watch people clean their teeth, everyone seems to do it differently.
Some use loads of saliva, some keep it neatly in their mouth, some scrub, some gently poke around with their brush.

Its a fascinating world, the teeth cleaning one. smile

Wheniwasyourage Thu 30-Jul-26 14:31:30

MissAdventure

It keeps the sink cleaner if you clean under running water.
Any big dollops of toothpaste get washed away there and then, so a wiick wipe over is all that's needed after.
I don't run the tap, though.
I used to, but it's an easy habit to change.

It occurred to me that spitting into the loo after brushing my teeth rather than the sink would be better for keeping the drain clear, and so that's what I do. Can't see the point of running the water while cleaning teeth.

Graphite Thu 30-Jul-26 10:47:58

MaizieD

PS Where did the 24 litres wasted by teeth cleaning come from? The quantity mentioned originally was 1 litre…

My arithmetic based on someone leaving the tap running for two minutes while they clean their teeth. See my post yesterday.

Water flow from a standard tap is about 6 litres per minute so 12 litres for a two minute teeth brushing, twice a day, is 24 litres.

It's could be an exaggeration assuming people open the tap fully but it's possible.

lizzypopbottle Thu 30-Jul-26 10:15:19

I put toothpaste on my electric toothbrush and use it to brush my teeth. Why on earth would I turn the tap on and let it run for two minutes while I'm doing that? It would be no different if I were using a manual brush. I swoosh with a mouthful of water and I'm done.

MissAdventure Thu 30-Jul-26 10:05:51

People must have big mouths... smile

MaizieD Thu 30-Jul-26 09:29:25

PS Where did the 24 litres wasted by teeth cleaning come from? The quantity mentioned originally was 1 litre…

MaizieD Thu 30-Jul-26 09:27:21

The article about keeping cool in hot weather was in Saturday’s Guardian, in the magazine, IIRC.

I balked at the yoghurt drinks because I can’t stand yogurt, but most of the advice was sound. I just drink cold water or warm tea. The important bit is taking adequate fluids, they can be in any form.

The piece of advice I completely disagreed with was from the person who said that showering three times a day helped. 😱

Momac55 Thu 30-Jul-26 09:06:25

HelterSkelter1

Salty food was recommended. Olives, feta, anchovies and sardines. And to drink diluted yogurt with mint. Also cool tea with mint.

Yuk

MissAdventure Thu 30-Jul-26 02:24:48

It keeps the sink cleaner if you clean under running water.
Any big dollops of toothpaste get washed away there and then, so a wiick wipe over is all that's needed after.
I don't run the tap, though.
I used to, but it's an easy habit to change.

Skye17 Thu 30-Jul-26 01:02:26

I agree with all the PPs saying why would you ever run the tap while you are cleaning your teeth anyway, and if everyone turned it off this would certainly save a lot of water.

Also with those saying just sit in rooms on the non-sunny side of the house if possible, with the curtains open. You don’t have to shut all the curtains.

MissAdventure Wed 29-Jul-26 22:14:05

I always follow that advice, much to my grandsons absolute disgust.

fluttERBY123 Wed 29-Jul-26 21:27:46

If it's brown, flush it down. If it's yellow let it mellow.
From Oz, where else. Courtesy of Kathy Lette.
They have a permanent and serious low water reserves.

Cossy Wed 29-Jul-26 20:13:12

Gango

For goodness sake. I thought this forum was used by the more life experienced section of the country. If after all these years you don’t know how to look after yourself in the warm weather then maybe you should just sit in a dark room.
Will you also need advice in the winter months when the temperature heads towards zero

Are you overheating?? grin

Cossy Wed 29-Jul-26 20:12:49

M0nica

Most houses have rooms facing in more than one direction. Pull the curtains in the rooms facing south, and those facing east in the morning and west in the afternoon, and sit in the room that doesn't have the sun beating in. Simples.

67 million people all saving a couple of litres a day awful lot of water.

Yes!

Gango Wed 29-Jul-26 19:51:29

For goodness sake. I thought this forum was used by the more life experienced section of the country. If after all these years you don’t know how to look after yourself in the warm weather then maybe you should just sit in a dark room.
Will you also need advice in the winter months when the temperature heads towards zero

HelterSkelter1 Wed 29-Jul-26 18:19:58

Thanks Grandmafrench a timely reminder. I am wearing sun glasses very much more now and the closed curtains are essential on the south and west facing windows.
I agree if this is the face of future summers then we will have to adapt our life style. I hope schools will open earlier in the summer as well as shops. Trains and buses start running earlier as well.
We were warned that the south of England would become more like the Med. It just seems to have happened more quickly.

Graphite Wed 29-Jul-26 18:06:27

Thanks, Seapebble. My mistake. It didn't seem quite right at the time. Just shows what happens when you take the wrong number to start with and ask Google what that much water would fill.

What a terrible and costly waste of a precious resource.

Seapebble Wed 29-Jul-26 17:57:51

Graphite - I agree with your comments - just need to add that it's billion not million when you multiply 55 million people x 24 litres. 1.3 billion litres. That would fill over 500 Olympic size swimming pools.

4allweknow Wed 29-Jul-26 17:56:12

Closed the blinds when sun wash shining on the sunny side of house in the morning, opened in afternoon. Did the same in opposite side later in day. Never felt house was dark or felt bored. I always don't run tap when cleaning teeth, taught that when young and old habits die hard.

Peaseblossom Wed 29-Jul-26 17:03:47

Boadicea Surely it should be white fabric, not black? That will absorb heat.

Peaseblossom Wed 29-Jul-26 16:56:07

WelshPoppy You shouldn't be rinsing, just spitting.

Grandmafrench Wed 29-Jul-26 16:21:03

HelterSkelter1

I half fill a glass from the kitchen mains tap with water to brush my teeth. Have done since chemo when immune system was low and I didn't want to use the bathroom water which came from the old tank in the attic. Have done this for 5 years now.

I do draw the curtains and have a white sheet hanging on the outside of the south facing windows. It has cut down on the glare and the window glass is quite cool. 34 deg here today so it makes a difference. And my eyes are easily dazzled at the moment. One eye has a cataract and one has been operated on this month. So my vision is very sharp in that eye and dazzled.

But I have missed just sitting in the garden in the daytime. Early morning or late evening is thr only possibility.

I read some tips on line yesterday from people living in Egypt and other hot places. I shall have to try and find the article again amd re read it as I have forgotten most except wear loose long sleeved long legged clothes.

Undoubtedly telling you what you already know, HS, but my Surgeon told me that eyes and your sight are just so precious, make sure you look after them for the future and now you have super new vision. Sunglasses ALWAYS against any bright light, hot sunny days, anything at all which we find dazzling. I wear mine so much more now and it does make a huge difference.

Hot climate clothes: pure cotton and linen, loose for comfort, and always in pale colours since dark colors absorb the heat and push up your body temperature. Always a small fan in your bag for instant relief anywhere - paper or battery.

No need for anyone to sit in the dark and feel miserable, just try to be somewhere else in the house whilst all windows which face the sun are covered, as the sun comes up. Protecting the glass from the heat of the sun is paramount, otherwise there'd be no reason for shutters in hot climates. Limit all work/activities to pre-sun up or very late evening. Anything which raises a sweat should be avoided. Try to loll about in an indulgent way during the hottest days and catch up on stuff which you wouldn't normally be able to do at busy times.!! Do everything slowly and remember, of course, to drink enough. These may be weather extremes or we may have to get used to a different way of life each summer. If that's the case, then some practice wouldn't be a bad idea!!

After yet another day of not being able to use our (too hot) pool at 31 degrees, or sit out for meals or coffee in the garden (42 today)
enjoy our garden flowers (all brown and crisp), go on the water (where we'd quickly be crisp!) cook outside (BBQ's banned) or walk or shop without fear of collapse, I'm looking forward to meeting up after dark with some friends for some wonderful ice cream and a slight drop in temperature. It's ridiculous that outdoor life currently is restricted to after dark but there's nothing we can do about it.

petra Wed 29-Jul-26 16:15:46

Ziplok

If you multiply that litre of water by the millions brushing their teeth twice a day, then it will add up to a significant saving of total water used if they don’t leave the tap running whilst brushing.

I found drawing the curtains on the sunniest side of the house did help (but appreciate it does darken the room somewhat). Not only that, but it helps to keep the strong sun off the soft furnishings and suite, helping to protect them from fading over time.

According to the OP that saving is meaningless.
It actually equates to 56 Olympic size swimming pools.
But then again you’ll always have people who either have trouble understanding how important water is, or they’re just plain selfish.

WelshPoppy Wed 29-Jul-26 15:59:59

I've always switched off the tap when cleaning my teeth. No need for it to be running in between rinses.

Graphite Wed 29-Jul-26 15:39:13

Yes that’s the general advice but I use Arm & Hammer Advance White Pro toothpaste which has baking soda. They call it Micro Polisher Technology. It foams up a lot and is quite gritty. It does a great job; my teeth feel like they do when I’ve just had a polish at the dentist, but you’d definitely want to rinse just a little afterwards, just as the dentist asks you to do.