Gransnet forums

Chat

Bill Oddie

(44 Posts)
Cabowich Mon 27-Jul-26 10:34:44

Very sorry to hear that Bill Oddie has died. I enjoyed his passion for bird watching (and watched the Goodies when I was a child).

Whingey Tue 18-Aug-26 18:46:27

He called birds biny little turds

MayBee70 Mon 17-Aug-26 02:44:11

His bird watching series is now on iplayer along with the best of Oddie goes Wild…

NittWitt Thu 30-Jul-26 16:52:06

Indeed MR.

MawsRosie Thu 30-Jul-26 16:21:48

NittWitt

The Father Christmas song was a chart hit in 1974. I think slap & tickle humour was more acceptable then.

Surely it was just another version of “Oh Sir Jasper” - mildly smutty but of its time and as such pretty harmless?

tiredoldwoman Thu 30-Jul-26 16:11:33

Yes Helterskelter1, I cried at that programme then again today when I read that he wants Nothing Compares to You by Sinead O' Connor to be played at him funeral.

Whingey Thu 30-Jul-26 14:12:14

Jingle jangle jewellery still online.Oh dear!

Cath9 Wed 29-Jul-26 06:49:01

In the 1980s I met Bill Oddie at the airport while returning from my parent’s home in Co Cork. He mentioned he had been doing a tv programme and would missed not being in The Monkeys.

NittWitt Tue 28-Jul-26 16:24:02

It seems a bit convoluted to think it was a dig at JS. Who could think that was a bit of a laugh?

NittWitt Tue 28-Jul-26 16:22:52

The Father Christmas song was a chart hit in 1974. I think slap & tickle humour was more acceptable then.

Quizzer Tue 28-Jul-26 16:03:17

I met Bill Oddie when he came to give a talk - more of a chat - at my school (all girls) in the 1960s.
He was cute, charming, funny and a little bit naughty which dumbfounded some of our older spinster teachers!
He will be missed.

Deedaa Mon 27-Jul-26 22:21:46

The story of Bill's mother was tragic. It must have happened to so many women in those days. They might both have had such different lives nowadays.

Mollygo Mon 27-Jul-26 21:05:00

We met Bill Oddie when he came to Liverpool when it was the city of Culture. Very pleasant and happy to talk.

Magenta8 Mon 27-Jul-26 20:51:55

I would rather remember Bill Oddie and the Goodies singing "The Funky Gibbon" than the awful Father Christmas one.

There was a line in "The Funky Gibbon" that Bill Oddie put in during one live performance that made me laugh out loud it was. 'Tie a yellow gibbon round the ole oak tree."*

* There was popular song around at the time "Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Ole Oak Tree"

Doodledog Mon 27-Jul-26 20:11:32

I didn't know about any Jimmy Saville connection to the Father Christmas song, so I may have been unfair upthread. Sorry, if that's the case, Bill. (It's still a horrible song, though.)

HelterSkelter1 Mon 27-Jul-26 19:43:59

When he was on Who Do You Think You Are he explained how he at last discovered why his mother apparently "abandoned* him. Such a very sad story.

JackyB Mon 27-Jul-26 18:22:51

I've been listening to the repeats of I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again on 4extra and was impressed at his musical skills. I never missed an episode back when it was first broadcast and I can sing along with all the songs. Tim Brooke-Taylor died during Covid; and now this news of Bill Oddie makes me very sad and nostalgic.

Gran22boys Mon 27-Jul-26 15:24:54

He seemed very gentle. I shared his passion for nature and was very sad to learn he suffered from depression which a lot of sensitive people do.

JenniRen Mon 27-Jul-26 15:15:50

I used to like The Goodies and then enjoyed Bill's wildlife programmes.
The second of the Goodies to leave us, sadly.

RIP Bill Oddie 🕊

MayBee70 Mon 27-Jul-26 14:52:42

MollyNew

Very sad to hear about the death of Bill Oddie, a decent human being who suffered greatly with his mental health. RIP Bill.

One of the first people to talk openly about mental health, too.

sodapop Mon 27-Jul-26 14:45:27

A very talented man, I liked The Goodies as well.
An unfortunate comment NanKate.
RIP Bill Oddie.

MayBee70 Mon 27-Jul-26 14:22:21

Oh no. I was only talking about him the other day. The latest Folk on Foot podcast features a musician, author and poet who wrote a beautiful poem about starlings and I mentioned that Bill Oddie was the first person to point out that starling murmurations were the greatest spectacle in nature.

JaneJudge Mon 27-Jul-26 14:15:58

RIP Bill

MawsRosie Mon 27-Jul-26 14:09:33

Doodledog

Sad. Of course I am sad at BO’s death, but The Goodies were not benign, IMO.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=hC3AphnJLbE&ra=m

Oh they were! Wicked, maybe but never cruel.

Clawdy Mon 27-Jul-26 13:33:08

Always enjoyed watching The Goodies. They were a bit like the lighter version of Monty Python, which was also great.

Wyllow3 Mon 27-Jul-26 13:20:23

They are just playing "funky gibbon" on Beeb news and sensitive to his childhood.