Gransnet forums

Chat

Modern words that annoy you!

(180 Posts)
NanKate Sat 25-Jul-26 07:57:09

At the top of the hour, instead of say 12 o’clock or Noon.

MissAdventure Wed 12-Aug-26 16:25:29

Psssst....
He had a beautiful husky voice, and lovely Irish accent, too. wink

Chestnut Wed 12-Aug-26 16:02:29

MissAdventure

I had a dentist who reffered to my teeth as "these guys" smile
It quite amused me.
He sounded as if he was talking about a crowd of people.

Love this 😂😂

MissAdventure Wed 12-Aug-26 15:54:22

No comment.

Isthepopecatholic Wed 12-Aug-26 14:12:31

charliebb

Referring to death as 'passed'. This irritates me intensely. A person doesn't pass, they die!

So true. Such a stupid euphemism.

MissAdventure Wed 12-Aug-26 10:51:30

I had a dentist who reffered to my teeth as "these guys" smile
It quite amused me.
He sounded as if he was talking about a crowd of people.

Witzend Wed 12-Aug-26 10:30:46

‘You guys’ when addressing a mixed or entirely female party of quite obviously over 65s!

Daddima Mon 10-Aug-26 17:38:35

Chestnut

Sorry if already mentioned, but I've just read the words "we started trying to get pregnant". 😡

WE don't get pregnant, the woman does. Why not just say "we started trying for a baby."

Why not just keep it to yourselves? Is there any need for anyone else to know ?

Wheniwasyourage Mon 10-Aug-26 17:24:38

Shop, as in Shop Daffodils on the J Parkers site. Surely it should be Shop For or even, as they must hope, Buy. (They are not the only offenders - other annoying sites are available.)

RSVP instead of just Reply or Answer.

Chestnut Mon 10-Aug-26 00:07:07

Ha ha, just remembered my old mum saying how she thought it was silly to say someone was a 'chocoholic' or similar if they liked something very much. 🙂

Emeraldforest Sun 09-Aug-26 21:06:29

I keep reading 'Kinda chic'. Kinda...ridiculous.

Grannybags Sun 09-Aug-26 21:03:54

asap said as a word rather than a.s.a.p for as soon as possible

Flippinheck Sun 09-Aug-26 20:56:20

An Americanism that I hear too often: alternate instead of alternative.

Sheba Sun 09-Aug-26 16:30:51

For free……..surely free would suffice
Fur babies……….yuk !
See you later……when you are never likely to meet again

Chestnut Sun 09-Aug-26 16:19:27

Sorry if already mentioned, but I've just read the words "we started trying to get pregnant". 😡

WE don't get pregnant, the woman does. Why not just say "we started trying for a baby."

Oldnproud Wed 05-Aug-26 08:51:21

Tenko

People saying they’re sick if they have a cold , temperature or cough . To me sick means vomit . My god daughter tells me she or her daughter have been so sick , so I ask is it a bug or food poisoning. And she replies no we’ve been so sick with a nasty cold !!!

Yes!

Only a few weeks ago my dgc told me she had been sick the day before. I immediately thought she meant that she had vomited (she hadn't), because that is how it was always been used in our family.
If we felt unwell, we were 'poorly', 'unwell' or 'ill'.

Similarly, we had 'a temperature', not 'a fever'.

MissAdventure Tue 04-Aug-26 20:04:06

Oh, come all yous faithful...

Northernsoulnanna Tue 04-Aug-26 18:11:27

Ick
Meh
When someone says to you "see you later", when you know you wont.

Oreo Tue 04-Aug-26 17:46:12

watermeadow

As in ‘Come all ye faithful’? I’ve never known how to pronounce his name, not that I’ve ever needed to.

In case you meet him it’s Kanya 😁

Oreo Tue 04-Aug-26 17:45:24

Ye just means the doesn’t it?

watermeadow Tue 04-Aug-26 15:35:29

As in ‘Come all ye faithful’? I’ve never known how to pronounce his name, not that I’ve ever needed to.

Chestnut Tue 04-Aug-26 14:53:54

One of my annoyances is when things get abbreviated, often down to just one letter. So now I can't think of any except these two! 🤔
Twitter became X
UKTV Play became U (Drama, Dave, Yesterday, W).

Oh yes, Kanye West became Ye! 😂

Chestnut Tue 04-Aug-26 14:39:00

Tenko

People saying they’re sick if they have a cold , temperature or cough . To me sick means vomit . My god daughter tells me she or her daughter have been so sick , so I ask is it a bug or food poisoning. And she replies no we’ve been so sick with a nasty cold !!!

Google says sick means:
Ill or Unwell: Having a physical or mental disease; not healthy.
Nauseous: Feeling an urge to throw up food from your stomach.
Fed up: Being very bored or annoyed by something ("sick of this rain").
We might also say a 'sick' joke.
But basically they are all horrible things.

Youngsters have turned this on its head and use it to mean very cool, awesome, or impressive so might say "that movie was sick" or "that concert was sick".

Really difficult to get your head around that!

Bellanonna Tue 04-Aug-26 09:44:50

Why has the long-established Macaroni Cheese morphed into
Mac and Cheese? Annoying.

Bellanonna Mon 03-Aug-26 19:31:55

Tenko, people will say they’re off sick from work but that could be for many reasons. Like you, though, I think of “sick” as vomit. Yuk.

Tenko Mon 03-Aug-26 19:00:39

People saying they’re sick if they have a cold , temperature or cough . To me sick means vomit . My god daughter tells me she or her daughter have been so sick , so I ask is it a bug or food poisoning. And she replies no we’ve been so sick with a nasty cold !!!