Gransnet forums

Chat

Any Rain Anywhere, Or Are We In A 1976 Timewarp?

(40 Posts)
Crumbly159 Thu 23-Jul-26 02:24:58

Because, looking at the grass going biscuity-beige, I'm sure we've slipped back 50 years.

swampy1961 Sat 01-Aug-26 23:20:40

East Lancashire here! We've had a few showers over the past few days.

FranP Sat 01-Aug-26 22:23:59

Just wait until 31st August. I am going on holiday so it will rain all that week.

Went to Almeria in July, who get 6 days a year - yes, it rained.
Went to Lazarote, in June, yep! only one day out of the expected zero.

BlueBelle Sat 01-Aug-26 22:18:22

Nothing at all in east Suffolk haven’t had any rain for what feels like months

BoggledMind Sat 01-Aug-26 21:40:33

It was supposed to rain earlier in Merseyside. Didn't see any.

Kittycat Sat 01-Aug-26 20:04:03

We had a good half hours rain in Norwich on Thursday evening.

Lemonred Sat 25-Jul-26 05:11:09

Nothing here in Peaky Blinders county. Very reminiscent of ‘76. I think ‘86 was another dry one. I have photos of dry reservoirs in Yorkshire at that time. (Then again in about ‘98 I have pictures of powerful water topping out and overflowing dams in Wales.)

Crumbly159 Sat 25-Jul-26 03:18:58

The BBC website informs me that the rain should be stopping around 3.30am. Oh, really?

It might be nice if it could start.

What a bunch of comedians at the Met Office. Fancy having a job where you can get consistently paid for getting things consistently wrong.

Clairvoyancy is the only other occupation I can think of that generates an income for simply making things up......

Taichinan Sat 25-Jul-26 02:55:48

It's been raining off and on since 9pm on the north Angus coast and is forecast again for Saturday night and all Sunday. Everywhere definitely needs it!

nanna8 Sat 25-Jul-26 02:04:44

Raining here in Victoria but it is Winter so not unusual though it is still pretty dry mostly. Nasty dull day today after a week of lovely sunshine. Weeds everywhere especially oxalis, I hate the stuff it appears overnight everywhere.

Fallingstar Fri 24-Jul-26 21:53:10

If it rains here on Sunday, which it probably won’t I will stand outside in it and just enjoy the cool fresh feel of it.
Glad you got to enjoy it SueDonim.

Patrice53 Fri 24-Jul-26 21:40:08

My garden is dry and the plants look frizzled even though I am watering them. Seems weeks ago since having rain

SueDonim Fri 24-Jul-26 21:07:52

It’s raining here in mid-Scotland! I just looked up and saw that the patio was wet. I’ve been out and walked in the grass in bare feet - they’re now feel so cool. Bliss.

Scapa1 Fri 24-Jul-26 21:03:50

It is raining at the moment here in Stirling, Central Scotland but not really heavily.

Getmystepsin Fri 24-Jul-26 18:53:50

Come to the west of Scotland! For weeks while the rest of Britain was basking in the sunshine we had grey skies and drizzle. Some days the cloud was almost down to the ground! We finally got sun and some heat for about 10 days but we're back to Scotch mist and not being able to see the top of the hill. Though a lot of people here seem to prefer the drizzle and start to moan if the temperature gets to 20C!

Nanny100 Fri 24-Jul-26 17:45:04

Nothing here in Aberlady, East Lothian for weeks.
My digital weather forecasting gadget has been saying rain all day today, but none has fallen, or even looks like it might rain.

Ziplok Fri 24-Jul-26 17:04:20

No rain here either, and there hasn’t been for several weeks. The ground is bone dry and the grass like straw. It always amazes me, though, how grass bounces back once the rain returns. I agree about the weeds - they seem quite green amongst the parched grass.
I think I’ll look up how to do a rain dance 😂😂.

AuntieE Fri 24-Jul-26 16:45:27

No rain here either, but definitely neither 1976 nor 1989 or 90, which were just as warm and dry.

Here the weather is dry, cloudy and COLD with a nasty wind more reminiscent of the end of September than July.

GrandmaT2010 Fri 24-Jul-26 16:22:22

The last time I remember it raining in the north west was May 11th. A friend came to stay and we visited RHS Bridgewater. It rained non stop all day! Nothing since!

Stillness Fri 24-Jul-26 16:05:09

I’m in Sussex on the south east coast and I can’t remember the last rain. It must be months ago. It’s so depressing.

Alison333 Fri 24-Jul-26 16:03:24

All we had yesterday and today was loads of grey clouds all going somewhere else!

AmberGran Fri 24-Jul-26 15:48:01

I don't think we've seen any rain since before Christmas - when other people were getting flooded we only a brief shower.

I'm a little worried that when the tropical storms start hitting in October the ground is going to be baked so hard that the rain will just run off - that's what happened some years ago when we got flooded. Our gardens round here are all heavy clay.

Pilgrimandrew Fri 24-Jul-26 15:09:50

Crumbly159 'I'm sure we've slipped back 50 years'.
That's just the effect of the Labour Govt, nothing to do with the weather

bookwormbabe Fri 24-Jul-26 14:57:58

No rain here for weeks. The lawn is yellowy brown and even the dandelions are shrivelling. The only things still going strong are the brambles and the ivy angry

Grandma600 Fri 24-Jul-26 14:52:11

*make, not made 🤦🏼‍♀️

Grandma600 Fri 24-Jul-26 14:51:19

Nandalot, Devon needs rain too!!! We will made you very welcome if you bring rain 😀