Gransnet forums

Chat

Paper hankies

(31 Posts)
polomint Wed 22-Jul-26 16:03:07

My husband remarked this morning that we are going through so many boxes of tissues than before. Is it an age thing as both of us seem to be blowing our nose far more than when we were younger. Bringing up our children, I hardly remember blowing our nose unless we had the cold. Our poor parents and grandparents had to rely on cotton handkerchief that had to be salted and boiled. We are so lucky nowadays that we rely on tissues

Esmay Fri 24-Jul-26 20:18:51

I use old remnants of fabric if I have a cold .
I'm economical when it comes to basics .
I have something pretty frilly and scented in my bag for show !
I also enjoy wearing odd socks .
I wear some very ancient pyjamas.
My oldest item is a coat, which is about 45 years old .

Jenthehen Fri 24-Jul-26 07:40:40

Mine to won't use anything else. I also like cotton hankies

Jaxjacky Thu 23-Jul-26 21:35:48

Dust mites can trigger sneezing, they like mattresses, bedding, soft furnishing and carpets, warm humid weather suits them too.
I’ve got reflux that causes nasal drip, so runny nose.

WithNobsOnIt Thu 23-Jul-26 20:27:44

25Avalon

Instead of paper hankies I use kitchen roll, usually one of the extra absorbent ones that are still soft. I get several goes per sheet. The only thing is not to flush it down the loo.

I use kitchen roll as well. Much thicker and usually bigger sheets than tissues.

I suffer from chronic rhinitis and l am awaiting for an operation on a deviated septum. Left nostril. now completely blocked.

MissAdventure Thu 23-Jul-26 19:37:22

We always had snowy white, ironed hankies up our sleeves when we were little.
We were absolutely not allowed to blow our noses on them, though.

My mum always had a hanky, or a "nanky" as it became known, and we each had one at her funeral.

Georgesgran Thu 23-Jul-26 18:17:17

DH used to prefer the Barbour hankies - washed, folded and ironed by yours truly! Strangely, DGS2 who is 5 loves a cotton hanky in his pocket, so now I launder those.

Greciangirl Thu 23-Jul-26 16:49:44

Boxes of man size tissues for me.
Nothing else will do I’m afraid.

I always have a box to hand.
I feel,panicky if it looks like I’m running out of them.

Bea0802 Thu 23-Jul-26 16:29:20

I've gone over to the large thicker tissues, they last longer than 1 blow!

Bassoues Thu 23-Jul-26 16:29:09

I use a kitchen roll which goes into my little kitchen compost bin which I empty into my garden compost bin. Et voilà....

Estrellita Thu 23-Jul-26 16:06:26

So does mine.

DamaskRose Thu 23-Jul-26 15:41:39

cc Barbour do all cotton men’s hankies which will probably last my DH till he shuffles off this mortal coil! 😂 As far as I remember they don’t cost that much more than anywhere else.

suelld Thu 23-Jul-26 14:58:14

Jane43

PaperMonster2

My OH still uses cloth hankies.

So does mine.

So do I !

JdotJ Thu 23-Jul-26 14:29:48

I have developed a very annoying nose drip as I've got older and have boxes of tissues all around the house.

nanna8 Thu 23-Jul-26 14:19:41

I use both and of course I iron them with a hot iron.Kills germs. Plus they are nicer flat. Im not sure about tissues, can’t put them down the lavatory so they go in the bin along with disposable nappies and all the other rubbish filling up the world.

grandMattie Thu 23-Jul-26 14:11:05

PaperMonster2

My OH still uses cloth hankies.

So did mine. And I ironed them.
Actually, my SiL does too. DH’s were white, but SiL’s are all sorts of colours and patterns.

cc Thu 23-Jul-26 14:10:55

25Avalon

Instead of paper hankies I use kitchen roll, usually one of the extra absorbent ones that are still soft. I get several goes per sheet. The only thing is not to flush it down the loo.

I like kitchen roll too, though I really only sniffle first thing so don't use much. The best thing about the better kitchen rolls is that they don't disintegrate if you accidentally end up with one in the washing machine!
If I have a real cold I use the balsalm tissues though, or I get a sore nose.

cc Thu 23-Jul-26 14:08:30

PaperMonster2

My OH still uses cloth hankies.

So does mine, though I don't iron them for him! It's hard to get cotton ones now, many are partly synthetic and not very absorbent.

AuntieE Thu 23-Jul-26 13:59:22

Points to ponder:

probably paper hankies are thinner than they used to be. That way you will use more, as one is not sufficient to blow your nose in properly. And the manufacturer sells more, which is the point of making them of a poorer quality.

We are surrounded by various agents than can cause allergies, and how many of us can honestly say that we dust often enough, wash the kitchen floor daily, or even once a week, and don't have perfumed this that and the other - deoderants, shaving foam, bath soap, shampoo, cleaning agents all smelling different and any one of more of them could be the cause of your needing to blow your noses more often.

I am currently trying to find out why I have three violent bouts of sneezing spaced out during the morning and forenoon, then none for the rest of the day!

Redhead56 Thu 23-Jul-26 00:42:41

I have rhinitis so constantly sniffly all year.

crazyH Wed 22-Jul-26 23:03:19

I was born with a cold ……

Mollygo Wed 22-Jul-26 22:59:52

PaperMonster2

My OH still uses cloth hankies.

Mine too, though he always has one of those mini packs of tissues in the car.

Gwyllt Wed 22-Jul-26 22:51:25

Is it our age or is it that there is more pollution and allergens

Jane43 Wed 22-Jul-26 22:42:43

PaperMonster2

My OH still uses cloth hankies.

So does mine.

Charleygirl5 Wed 22-Jul-26 22:37:31

I agree, the pollen count has been high and part of the evening I spend sneezing. My rear garden which is small, block paved and that helps.

25Avalon Wed 22-Jul-26 22:00:00

Instead of paper hankies I use kitchen roll, usually one of the extra absorbent ones that are still soft. I get several goes per sheet. The only thing is not to flush it down the loo.