Cossy. I think you are starting from a faulty assumption:
[ Quote] I am assuming minimum wage is calculated based on what our government believes is the minimum amount of money the average person requires to live.
It isn’t. It’s a pay floor - designed to protect as many low-paid workers as possible without hurting jobs or the economy.
Guidelines are:
• It should not fall below two-thirds of median hourly earnings
• It should take take into account increased costs of living over the previous year and/
• Considers the impacts on businesses and the wider economy.
It’s the third one that’s problematic.
In short, people could and should be paid more, Union leaders such as Mick Lynch repeated call for a proper living wage but employers don’t like it, whether they would be able to pay it or not. Heaven forbid that the CEOs and other directors of some of our largest employers should be paid less than £5 million a year and often much more. But then if these employers paid their employees more how would small businesses compete for staff?
We know that wage growth leads to inflation because employers push the increased costs of providing goods and services to consumers. In addition, consumers with more money tend spend it chasing a limited supply of goods and services and that causes inflation too. It’s a vicious circle.
We know that the discussion about removing the triple lock is to uncouple it from earnings growth but that would leave pensioners unable to keep up with the cost of inflation caused by earnings growth - which would be unfair.
Again, as I said in my first post, the way to deal with this is to control the costs of life’s essentials, the things we have to spend most of our money on: food, water, energy and the biggest one, housing (including the taxation of housing through council tax). Tackle those, especially extortionate private rents and we would need far fewer safety nets.
And the real big one overarching all of those is the cost of adult social care. Nationalise that and remove the moneymen creaming off the top and we would all have to pay far less council tax.
All that said, I could live on my SP alone which would be full but for contracted-out deductions as I paid NIC for 50 years. I do live very simply though. However, without savings to fall back on, it would leave very little for any luxuries, for larger household maintenance costs or to replace my ageing car which is just scraping through its MOT each year and other emergencies.
My biggest outgoing is council tax even with 25% single occupancy discount but if I had only full SP I would qualify for enough Council Tax Support to bring my income up to the £15,000 mark - as you have suggested as a benchmark.
My daughter is lying about me and editing me out of her life.
Russian interference in U.K. politics



