People keep implying that they are living on less than £12.5k, but if that is the case they are entitled to pension credit which will bring their income to far more than that. The benefits of getting PC have been outlined above, and they go above and beyond the obvious.
As an example, I am in a group who visits a local theatre regularly. Over 65s used to get reduced tickets, which made the trips affordable to those on SP only (and to those just above because of an occupational pension they had worked for and paid into). As of September, all ticket prices have risen, and the concession has been withdrawn for those not on PC, 'to be fair to everyone', so the old concessionary tickets have had a double increase - once to full price and then to the increase in full price, whilst the cost for those on PC stays the same. This means that some of the group will no longer be able to go, as the ticket prices for them are £15 more than if they had PC, taking them to a high price for someone budgeting carefully.
This sort of discount is available at a wide range of venues, so adds up over a year. Before anyone suggests that I am begrudging those on PC anything, I'm absolutely not. What I do feel, however, is that this sort of means-testing is deeply unfair to those who tried to make their later years more comfortable by paying for an extra pension (they are not free, despite the resentment they seem to cause) and find that yet again, taking responsibility for themselves has backfired. If fewer people can go, the bus hire price will go up too, as we split it between passengers.
I understand that the theatre company has to stay afloat and prices had to rise, but I want all group members to be able to attend all the performances that we used to, and I don't think that will be possible.
That is not a 'notion' that some pockets are being picked to put money in others - it is a lived (but far from isolated) example of how the current system can be very unfair to the very people who prop it up.