Gransnet forums

Chat

Knives on our streets.

(66 Posts)
Wazzam Tue 02-Jun-26 15:19:52

I personally feel strongly about this and cannot believe that people of a certain religion are allowed LEGALLY to carry knives (I know it was ceremonial, but still a knife) on the streets of Britain. I think this needs sorting ASAP.

FranP Wed 03-Jun-26 20:35:28

I lived in Southall in the 70s, which is home to quite a sizeable Sikh community. An elderly friend would walk around in full ceremonial outfit with this tucked into a wide red and gold sash all of the time. Out only fear was that he might trip and hurt himself as he fell. On certain festival days, he would be joined by any number of the same. Never a problem, never an issue. A bit like the Scottish skean dhu, it is part of the outfit.
While Sikhs have an historic reputation for being warlike, the ones I know are gentle very kind people who would never use in anger.

SueDonim Wed 03-Jun-26 20:53:41

You’re wrong, Paddyann. Wearing a sgian dubh is permitted as part of national costume. This quote is from Criminal Law (Consolidation) (Scotland) Act 1995, last updated 1/05/26.

(5)Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (4) above, it shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (1) above to [F10show] that he had the article with him—

(a)for use at work;

(b)for religious reasons; or

(c)as part of any national costume.

Here’s the link. www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1995/39/part/VI/crossheading/offensive-weapons

Jaxjacky Wed 03-Jun-26 20:54:41

Just checked it too SueD ✅

Milest0ne Thu 04-Jun-26 01:17:35

All the boys in the Scout troupe used to carry a Swiss army type knife in 1950’s.
My Dad used to complain that he couldn’t carry a flick knife which he would have found useful in his job, to be able to use it one handed while still holding onto wires he needed to cut.

WithNobsOnIt Thu 04-Jun-26 03:11:54

Casdon

I have a big Swiss Army knife in my glove box, and I do use it quite often, particularly when I’m out for the day or on holiday. It’s got a bottle opener, corkscrew, scissors, screwdriver, nail file and tweezers, as well as a couple of knives. I’ve had it about thirty years, I find it really useful, and I’ve never thought of it as an offensive weapon, although I guess it could be used as one.

Never mind as an offensive weapon .
It sounds like an essential life support system to me. Very useful.

Greyduster Thu 04-Jun-26 08:27:53

WithNobsOnIt

Casdon

I have a big Swiss Army knife in my glove box, and I do use it quite often, particularly when I’m out for the day or on holiday. It’s got a bottle opener, corkscrew, scissors, screwdriver, nail file and tweezers, as well as a couple of knives. I’ve had it about thirty years, I find it really useful, and I’ve never thought of it as an offensive weapon, although I guess it could be used as one.

Never mind as an offensive weapon .
It sounds like an essential life support system to me. Very useful.

A good way to describe it! In addition to the above, mine also has a small saw. It wouldn’t build you a shelter on a desert island, but it has been very useful from time to time.

Basgetti Thu 04-Jun-26 11:50:51

kittylester

Basgetti one example of someone needing to carry a Swiss Army knife (or the like) would be DH going to help our disabled son with something. Our son doesn't own tools or implements as he would be unable to use them - therefore DH has to go 'equipped'.

A locked box at your son’s house ?

Basgetti Thu 04-Jun-26 11:52:08

Kittylester: my biggest concern about people carrying weapons and sharp tools is that they could so easily be turned on them by an attacker.

Rosie51 Thu 04-Jun-26 12:11:58

Basgetti

Kittylester: my biggest concern about people carrying weapons and sharp tools is that they could so easily be turned on them by an attacker.

Only if they first show the sharp tool first! I don't think much of the knife problem in this country is the carrying of a Swiss army penknife. Should hatpins and certain brooches also be prohibited? I had a scarf fastener which was a circle through which a 3 inch metal 'pin' was threaded. Useful item or weapon?

Basgetti Thu 04-Jun-26 12:38:31

Could be either, tbf Rosie.

twiglet77 Thu 04-Jun-26 21:04:11

I’ve recently visited the Knife Angel, on its tour and displayed in Ely during June. It is an astonishing sculpture constructed from knives seized or handed in during a weapons amnesty.

How wonderful it would be if every knife-carrier handed theirs in, including those using the frankly ridiculous claim that religion requires them to carry one. How any religion perverts the mind of any adult is utterly incomprehensible to me.

Esmay Tue 09-Jun-26 09:19:39

Last week ,there was yet another knife attack in the nearby once peaceful town.
I was threatened the week before and subjected to a verbal racist attack .
I'm losing count of them.

One of my friends had asked me to trim his beard and hair .
I'm no hairdresser ,but I can do a reasonable trim.
I'd put my hairdressing scissors in my handbag .
I walked past the police investigating the knifing I suddenly thought to myself that actually I'm carrying an offensive weapon.

eazybee Tue 09-Jun-26 09:34:44

An horrific attempt at a beheading in Belfast last night; do not know any further details.

nanna8 Wed 10-Jun-26 09:57:18

Many kids used to have penknives, adults too. Reports of violence were very rare,though. Carving names on things, yes but carving people,no. What is going on these days ? Is it frustration with life, lack of being told it is wrong, overcrowding, just why ? Perhaps we were a bit more aware of violence and it’s terrible effects because of memories of world war 2?

MissAdventure Wed 10-Jun-26 10:30:07

Perhaps it's due to "the system", with young people feeling they've little to look forward to?

No jobs, no chance of getting a foothold on the housing ladder, and so on?

Whenever there's a terrible crime committed by a young person, I always wonder how on earth anything can be worth going to prison for, but perhaps with few prospects, it doesn't seem such a big deal to them?