Gransnet forums

Chat

Decluttering

(557 Posts)
MissAdventure Thu 14-May-26 16:31:34

Anyone?
We had a nice little thread going, no rushing, just sharing, discussing, and encouraging each other. .
I've fallen out the loop, but still have a long way to go.

Calendargirl Sat 23-May-26 12:29:52

MissAdventure

I don't even know where food waste ends up.

It goes to anaerobic digester (AD) plants, where it’s somehow turned into making electricity or fertiliser type ‘stuff’.

Our food waste collections start later this year.

And none of our black bin waste goes to landfill now, it’s all sent somewhere to be burned and used for electricity production.

Apparently.

MissAdventure Sat 23-May-26 12:16:23

I don't even know where food waste ends up.

MayBee70 Fri 22-May-26 23:24:34

I was at my daughters and was horrified to see her have a fridge/freezer clear out and just throw everything into the non recycling bin. My son and his wife are far more into recycling than she is. Although someone told her that everything just went to the same place anyway so it isn’t worth bothering.One of the problems I have at my partners is that food waste just goes into the black bin ( cardboard, glass etc is recycled) and I hate knowing it’s going into landfill.

MissAdventure Fri 22-May-26 23:00:07

Ah, tjat has just come into force, here.
I can't see it going too well, as people are too lazy to put rubbish in the usual bins, let alone separate things into their rightful bin.

They've put the new bins almost right outside my kitchen window, too.

MayBee70 Fri 22-May-26 22:37:08

We’ve got a new recycling system starting in June. I’ve just read all the details ( it seems very complicated). The main difference is that food waste is going to be collected each week. One of my big problems is my obsession with trying to recycle everything if possible so things tend to hang around the house with me not knowing what to do with them. This is going to be a game changer. Once I’ve worked out where to put what and when confused.

MayBee70 Fri 22-May-26 21:59:33

Made my annual trip to Dunelm Mill yesterday during which I buy lots of things that I think will make me more organised, spend a lot of money then get home and find that I’d bought some of it on last years visit ( eg fizzy things that will make my toilet sparkling clean) and then add everything to the clutter. Had a narrow escape in the garden. Hadn’t realised I’d left a large plastic container under a bench covered by a tarpaulin. It was filled with rainwater ( tarpaulin obviously hadn’t done it’s job) but, thankfully there were no dead rats in it ( mind you that’s probably because it was full right to the top). No idea why I’d left it there. I always put a stick in any buckets or watering cans in the garden so that, if I go away and it rains any mice can climb out.

HelterSkelter1 Fri 22-May-26 20:37:30

Its too hot to go out and last week it was too cold windy and wet! Plenty to do indoors with the fan on.

HelterSkelter1 Fri 22-May-26 20:36:38

Thank you SORES. I bought 10 boxes on Amazon this week. For about 80p each. They are Royal Mail ones and have encouraged me to pack up loads of stuff which I have stacked up in a corner of the hall by the front door ready to go.
I need some more. They are brilliant. Not too big so not too heavy when full.

I made 3 trips to the British Heart Foundation shop with sets of china which they will sensibly price as they are quite collectable.
Am pleased with what I have achieved. Sorted some vinyl and one handbag is ready to go.
Lots more to do, but I have made a start.

MissAdventure Fri 22-May-26 20:11:14

I've been doing little bits and bobs.
Have now emptied a big wash basket, found my hoover thingy - the one that does the floor on its own.
Found a pink fabric box, so have put pillowcases in there in the hopes that they stay tidier.
Actually threw out a good few books, as they've been in a container under my bed. If i throw out the rest of the books, i can put more bed linen in the container, and it'll save my linen cupboard from looking like a rummage sale.

My boy, meantime, has put plumbing supplies in the cupbard. hmm

SORES Mon 18-May-26 21:34:39

HelterSkelter1

I,would love a half dozen same sized cardboard shoe boxes to pack smaller things into so that they will stack away into a now empty cupboard. They can be labelled and disposed of in the future easily...but not ready yet to let them go.

IKEA have these, brown cardboRd, 50p each, they don’t seem to have any fancy ones atm.
Anyway, we have them on shelves in the storeroom, labelled,
I pretend they are all safe deposit boxes containing treasures.
They hold stuff ‘pending’ or useful (lightbulbs, candles, old correspondence)
they are just the right size to lift down and handle easily

MayBee70 Mon 18-May-26 21:30:49

Programme was a bit lightweight for us hardcore declutterers. I’ve got creams that are years old but they still seem to work when I need them. I’ve moved my sterol capsules and Maccushield to a drawer in the bedroom but have got to remember I’ve put them there. I’m always finding things that I’ve tidied away and forgotten about.

MissAdventure Mon 18-May-26 21:18:40

I haven't done one single thing today.
I've had a few letters through and I've not even opened them, becuase i think they're about missed appointmets.

MayBee70 Mon 18-May-26 19:25:12

I'm going to watch that new decluttering programme on ITV. 7.30 It's on catchup too so I can watch the whole series.

FindingNemo15 Mon 18-May-26 19:05:50

Doodlebug. Regarding your towels. Animal rescues are always looking for them and also bedding, but not duvets or pillows.

MissAdventure Mon 18-May-26 18:59:31

Nothing today.
I'm only just out of bed.
I'll try and do one thing, at least.

Doodledog Mon 18-May-26 13:57:09

I have filled a bin bag (well, overfilled it, so will decant into two bags) of clothes for charity. I will see if Anglo will collect it, and if not, take it to the Red Cross shop.

I have further to go, but it's a start. I find that unless there is a fix deadline (eg builders arriving) I am better with achievable goals, so am concentrating on getting the room my son will be using ready by the weekend. I don't want to have lots of bags of 'stuff' waiting to go out when he's here either, so slow and steady it is. When I get that done, next step will be the towel cupboard, which needs a thorough sort out. My cleaner loves doing things like that, (and is a lot better at it than I am) so I'll ask her to give it a go in a couple of weeks when my guests have gone and we can have a run at it. I will have to resit the temptation to clutter up the spare room again with things I take out of the cupboard🙄

HelterSkelter1 Mon 18-May-26 12:40:45

I,would love a half dozen same sized cardboard shoe boxes to pack smaller things into so that they will stack away into a now empty cupboard. They can be labelled and disposed of in the future easily...but not ready yet to let them go.

HelterSkelter1 Mon 18-May-26 12:38:40

I dropped books culled at the weekend into the hospice charity book shop and 2 oval plates and 4 glass sundae dishes off at the same charity clothes and household shop.
Must keep the momentum going especially as its gone grey and rain is threatening. Ideal decluttering weather especially as I cant see the dust as no sunshine.

MayBee70 Mon 18-May-26 10:08:53

MissAdventure

There are boxes you can get, shich are designed to sit on stairs.

Mind you, I'd probaby fall over one. Plus, it could end up adding to the clutter.

I’ve got those small square IKEA baskets on the stairs; one is already full of my cholesterol tablets. They’re not too dangerous in that they’re next to the handrail. One of them is full of cuddly toys that were in the living room.

Calendargirl Mon 18-May-26 08:00:42

I’m sending two unused diet book recipes to my friend who is with Slimming World. Thought there might be the odd fresh idea.

Told her to pass them on if no use.

That’s 2 books down!

MissAdventure Mon 18-May-26 00:25:09

There are boxes you can get, shich are designed to sit on stairs.

Mind you, I'd probaby fall over one. Plus, it could end up adding to the clutter.

MayBee70 Mon 18-May-26 00:19:22

I’ve moved all of my pills vitamins and potions from out of the kitchen because they shouldn’t really be there and I needed the space to rearrange my food so I can see where everything is. But it’s now living on the stairs as there’s no room in the medicine cabinet. It might end up living there for quite a while.

MissAdventure Mon 18-May-26 00:12:30

I cleared enough space in Brian. (Cupboard B) sp that i can at least go in there and survey "stuff".
Then my boy came home with a steamer, and put it in the gap I'd made.

MayBee70 Sun 17-May-26 23:58:45

My problem is that I’m obsessed with keeping drawers and cupboards well organised but can’t get to grips with what’s outside of the cupboards.

rafichagran Sun 17-May-26 23:31:46

I need to de clutter, it's the cupboards that are full. My living space is very clear and I don't have alot of ornaments, but anything I don't use I have put away, a case of out of sight out of mind.
I am starting tommorow with a trip to the recycling centre. I then hope to clear one thing a day. I have been thinking this for ages though.