I've allways wanted to see the aurora borealis! I'm thinking of booking a cruise in jan/feb to see them? It's not a 'posh ship' and I can get a single cabin! I just wondered if any of you also shared my desire to see them before we're too old?
I am a terrible sea traveller, sick as soon as I get over the harbour bar. I went to Norway and I hoped the sea would swallow me up, better than carrying on with the journey. Fresh air on deck and watching the horizon helps, but not for catamarans as they have the motion of a champagne cork in a washing machine.
I felt sick once, in a 29' yacht crossing the channel when an unforecasted force 8 suddenly blew up. The waves were horrendous and a large fishing vessel went down just out of Tor bay.
Ah, now I find the ability to see the horizon very helpful. I've only once felt queasy afloat, and that was in a Force 12 off Cape Hatteras - but as long as I was on the weather deck and could see the horizon I was fine.
Pick a cabin dead centre of the ship AlisonMA *and *HildaW even if it means no view and you can have breakfast while the top deck verandah inmates are still green and abed at lunch time. it's seeing the horizon go upsy downsy that's upsetting.
I am going on my first one in a couple of weeks AlisonMA..so say these boats are 'stabilised' but am taking something with me just in case. I get car 'queasy' not really sick but so far only a really rough crossing on one of those channel 'Seacats' made me unwell. Am hoping the time I was on the ferry to Spain and was really ill was more about stress related migraine because once it was over I ate a hearty breakfast. Oh lor lets be honest, I'm really not sure how I'm going to be.............ask me again in 4 weeks time!
We are doing an Aurora cruise with Saga.....no idea what I am letting myself in for tho - was husband's idea and as I'm sick of flying and all that entails, I went along.
Aurora has been good this year, DS has photographed it several times in the north of England. He is in Iceland at present and sent a message to say he is seeing wonderful displays, a great bonus, he was not expecting to see anything this trip.
I have seen the aurora here in Central Scotland. I was driving home late on a clear cold night and when I turned off the motorway there was all this light jigging about behind the Ochil Hills. Stopped the car and watched for a bit then rushed home to send DH out to see them. It reminded me of the Dancing Waters.
Certainly an interesting phenomenom but not exactly lifechanging. Personally, I would not go on an expensive cruise on the off chance of seeing them again but don't let me put a damper on your plans!