Gransnet forums

Chat

ggggggrrrr British Gas

(5 Posts)
ninathenana Mon 04-Jun-12 12:03:50

My mum has alzheimers. I rang BG the other day to try and get her bills sent to my address as she has a habit of hiding her post.
I have done this with her electicity suplier with no problem at all.
The BG lady wanted to know if mum was with me, as she would need her permission to change the address ?!?! I explained the situation, Have you gor Power of Atourney? No, as mum and I have a joint account. Well I suggest you get one as we can't change anything without her permission.

I'm trying to assure that the account is paid for heaven's sake! What does it matter where the bill goes ggggrrrrrrr

goldengirl Mon 04-Jun-12 12:13:24

As you pay on a joint account - and presumably it's your signature on the cheque, would they accept sending you a copy of the bill whilst sending her the original? You may have to speak to a manager type person rather than the call centre bod. You can't be the only one in this situation!

I had similar problem with utilities several years ago with my mother - and I had Power of Attorney! - and found it incredibly stressful, so I can appreciate your frustration.

Ella46 Mon 04-Jun-12 12:28:29

Although my dad didn't have alzheimers, I got him to sign the bottom of several blank sheets of notepaper, and it saved a lot of hassle! Also a few blank cheques just in case.
Maybe you could get her to do that?

ninathenana Mon 04-Jun-12 12:43:49

good idea goldengirl thanks smile

glammanana Mon 04-Jun-12 12:54:22

I presume that they accept the cheque you send with your signature on ninathenana so where does their probem lie I ask ? some of the call centre staff can't see beyond the script they are given to adhere to,common sence would go along way within some of these companies.I would insist on speaking to their Age UK dept as I am sure they will have one I know my supplier E.On does as they suggested we would be better off financially with their stay warm tariff.