Gransnet forums

Chat

Summer has really arrived when..........

(54 Posts)
Greatnan Sun 03-Jun-12 07:08:41

you get out the electric fan and put your heavy trousers away.

susiecb Mon 04-Jun-12 08:44:37

Oh yes defintely draws on yesterday but I wasnt at home. Put the heating on agai last night when we got home and was quite chily under that new summer duvet. Golf today so its waterproofs at the ready! One always wears knickers for golf whatever would the commitee say if one did not?

JessM Mon 04-Jun-12 07:55:03

And there is nothing much on in the cinema...

Sewsilver Mon 04-Jun-12 07:43:26

Ps Susie, will definitely be wearing knickers, it's cold and windy!

Sewsilver Mon 04-Jun-12 07:41:30

Summer is today when despite weather here in Scotland we are all going to light a fire on the beach and make lunch. DGD's and I very excited, other adults more dubious.

Ariadne Mon 04-Jun-12 07:24:10

That is so true, Bags! Unfortunately, a grey day here in Hampshire (with DS) and I guessing will persist all the way down to Devon this morning!

Bags Mon 04-Jun-12 06:27:45

Summer is when the outside temperature is 5°C when you get up but it doesn't feel cold in the house because the sun is pouring in through the windows sunshine

jeni Sun 03-Jun-12 22:04:43

Night night. I'm off too!

I must pack tomorrow!

j04 Sun 03-Jun-12 22:03:16

I've been meaning to put a pair on all day gangy.

Honestly, how lazy can I get! hmm

Ariadne Sun 03-Jun-12 22:01:47

Halfway down A3 and the sun comes out! I haven't packed all the summer trousers!!! But DH has forgotten his "pyjamas" (lounging gear) so we stopped off at Sainsburys and I managed to find black cropped trousers and PJs with 25% off. Result!

Dinner at Brasserie Blanc, lovely; off to Devon tomorrow. DGS is in a Jubilee parade. Who knows what the weather will bring? Nightcap now. Night night all!

gangy5 Sun 03-Jun-12 21:37:27

susiecb is your claim really true? - for me it begins when I leave my socks off. This has happened this year but now they are on again!

vampirequeen Sun 03-Jun-12 21:04:09

Summer is when the barbecue is placed strategically under the garage door to keep off the rain which will bounce down once the food is placed on it to cook.

Greatnan Sun 03-Jun-12 13:15:38

It is still warm here,but raining heavily. Damn - I was planning to have a very long, steep walk but the paths would not be safe at the moment.

gracesmum Sun 03-Jun-12 13:09:50

I am with ariadne on this! And DH's sneezing is less likely to be hayfever than a cold.

Greatnan Sun 03-Jun-12 11:53:31

I have room in my little flat for only one season's clothes, so I have to make a judgement before I flatten all my winter clothes in vacuum bags and put them on top of my wardrobe.

Ariadne Sun 03-Jun-12 11:24:18

You put away the summer clothes you wore last week and find your thick socks and cardigans - wich is what I have done today!

susiecb Sun 03-Jun-12 10:55:06

I only do it at homesmile

Jacey Sun 03-Jun-12 10:19:53

Summer?? bitterley cold yesterday ...needed hat, scarf and gloves shock torrential rain last night ...miserable, murky moist day today!! so yes ...summer has come! grin

Annika Sun 03-Jun-12 10:12:06

I know when summer is here, nose and eyes itch , non stop sneezing and a sore red nose sad. But it only lasts a few weeks so roll on July sunshine smile

Greatnan Sun 03-Jun-12 09:28:00

But susie, what if you get knocked down by a bus!

susiecb Sun 03-Jun-12 09:24:48

I can leave my knickers off.

Greatnan Sun 03-Jun-12 09:09:19

I have heard quite a few cuckoos in the forests - they really do say the word, don't they?
Next month we will have an influx of cars from Belgium and The Netherlands, usually travelling very, very, slowly round the mountain roads.
It was very hot here yesterday, and at 10 pm. I lost the signal on my TV. When I opened the curtains I found we were having a really good thunderstorm, which I enjoyed. I like my weather to be OTT!

greenmossgiel Sun 03-Jun-12 08:57:54

Swallows are swooping all around, and house-martins are nesting in the barn opposite. A blackbird sat on the armrest of my garden seat yesterday! He occasionally jumped down to take a fly or two from the wee pond, but then came back up to me. Had a bit of a one-sided conversation with him, but he went away knowing that I thought he was a 'very bonny bird'! Cooler today, so far. The outlook is good, though. sunshine

Bags Sun 03-Jun-12 08:13:32

smile

JessM Sun 03-Jun-12 08:07:03

We heard a cuckoo last weekend - the first time I have heard one in years.
Didn't they discover recently, by putting tracking devices on some, that their visits from Africa can be very short. Like the old joke about "eats, shoots and leaves"

Bags Sun 03-Jun-12 07:54:45

Summer is when house martins nest under the eaves of my house.