Gransnet forums

Chat

nanny state

(63 Posts)
Bags Thu 31-May-12 19:08:27

Can you point me to some info about this news item online, please? Don't do telly or radio.

String of questions of course! Where in Oxford? What study group? Who funded it? etc. Even Oxford produces rubbish sometimes.

Anagram Thu 31-May-12 19:06:10

Should have added 'they claim'!

Anagram Thu 31-May-12 19:05:45

They're not actually new guidelines, Bags. It's just an Oxford study that claims we should drink no more than three small glasses of wine a week, which would save 4,500 lives a year.

Bags Thu 31-May-12 19:02:18

I don't even know what the new rules are! I don't need to know because I'm not going to overindulge. Do rules/guidelines actually stop anyone from overindulging if they were going to anyway? It certainly doesn't look as if they do.

jeni Thu 31-May-12 18:32:04

And me angry

nanaej Thu 31-May-12 18:21:19

anagram grin I have not been a binge drinker for years but seems I might become one again now the rules have changed!

Anagram Thu 31-May-12 18:05:27

Don't drink it all at once, or that will be a BINGE! grin

nanaej Thu 31-May-12 17:49:39

8kitty* grin here is your weekly quota winewinewine

kittylester Thu 31-May-12 17:47:43

It's enough to drive one to drink! grin

nanaej Thu 31-May-12 17:47:23

I think I like to know about research and the impact that various medicines /food/drinks /lifestyle may have on my health if it is new research because that enables me to make an educated choice.
However I am tired of the bloomin' obvious being headline news and being presented as something new!

Sadly there are a scary number of people who do not use their common sense re lifestyle choices and often they are also parents so that has an impact on their children..unfortunately they also rarely follow 'guidelines' anyway!!!!

flump Thu 31-May-12 17:43:28

I've been watching the programmes on Pathe news. Some of the information films they showed during the war were telling people what to do and how to do it. So, one could say that the nanny state attitude has been around a long time. I look at any information given as just that, information, then consider the merits and make my own choices. Now, where did that bottle of wine go? grin

Bags Thu 31-May-12 17:16:48

Yep, count me in, pammy. Mind you, I just ignore it all anyway wink.

pammygran Thu 31-May-12 16:59:52

Anyone else sick to death of being told how much alcohol to drink, what to eat & what not, it will be when to go to bed soon(to sleep I mean)..Nanny state give ita rest!