In my study, which I am supposed to be sorting and tidying but have got waylaid by GN!!
Good Morning Friday 9th October 2026
What do you regard as a salad?
Hegseth wants to livestream execution !
If I'm in the kitchen, I go through the dining room dump, out into the hall, up the stairs, through the living room, along the upstairs corridor, down a step, and, phew, into the study, where my ancient computer lives.
I live in hope of a laptop....!
In my study, which I am supposed to be sorting and tidying but have got waylaid by GN!!
My computer is in the spare bedroom upstairs with my printer and my laptop moves around the house with me or when I am away from home..
In my dining room
When it's charging or not in use, my iPad sits on the old table in our sitting-room that used to belong to my great-grandmother. It sits on there along with the telephone that needs electricity, the telephone that doesn't need electricity, two beeswax candles in tall candlesticks (also for use during power cuts of which we have had lots, thus the two telephone lark), some coasters, telephone directories, paper and pencils, my address book, a lamp that doesn't work (keep forgetting to buy the right kind of bulb), my temari-making tin, my binoculars, and empty A4 file, a magnifying glass, a Navajo Indian pottery dish full of cones from a sequoia tree, a Florentine leather-bound notebook that I used to use all the time until I got an iPad, some rather a lot of dust, and a duster with which I keep meaning to dust said table. It has only been there a week or so, so no hurry. You can't see the dust under all the stuff anyway. I only noticed because I picked up the file. So I put it back and made a mental note to do some dusting. Sometime.
Youngest daughter used to jeni but that is a long time ago now! We keep trying to call it the family room or den or snug (which is definitely isn't, being open plan) but it keeps reverting! 
kittyso they can put on productions of Shakespeare?
Liberadi I put my laptop on a cooling pad ( which plugs into the USB ) this raises the keyboard to an angle suitable for typing. Laptops do get very hot and this pad works a treat.
Mine is in my study which is just off the kitchen so I can go back and forth whilst I'm cooking - very handy.
On my desk, in the dining room, at the bottom of the stairs. I do wish people would stop going up and down stairs while I'm on GN. My husband has his laptop in his study and the printer is in the playroom which is upstairs! The printer is in the playroom because our desktop was in there and so is the router.
As a separate issue, can anyone explain why, as our children are aged between 25 and 40, do we still have a playroom? 
It lives in the dining room, but I mostly use it on my knee in the sitting room. I have tried to use it in the conservatory, but there's too much light in there and I can't see the screen! I don't want to pull down all the blinds - the neighbours might wonder what I'm up to (I hope they'd think it was something more exciting than surfing on my laptop, but I doubt it!).
Now I've heard what Bez says about a plug in thingy for the iPad, I think iPad is the answer. I got frustrated in SA with not being able to download photos straightaway, so it would be ideal. Thanks, Bez!
On a desk in an alcove in my Kitchen Diner. (Dining room end). Since my old desktop died on me after 7 years I now have a nice new one sitting here. Borrowed my DD's laptop for a little while but I just can't get used to typing on laptop. Everyone else loves them so it's probably me. The letters on the keyboard seem so close together I find it hard to type especially with the keyboard being flat. I would however love an ipad, think I shall have to wait for that one 
Wow granjura ...I can only manage 2 at a time!!
...and it's about time I got off this site ...I need to get some knitting done for Monday!!
On one of those cheap folding lap table from Argos, by the side of my settee. The other side of the settee if always full of books, magazines and newspapers- and TV opposite - so I can read, watch TV and be on my Apple Mac all at the same time.
Yes Nelliemoser thieves of time indeed!!
, but i wouldn't be without my laptop ...and like you on a lap tray, on my lap, television on in the background!
Greatnan I also travel with a netbook ...weighs less than 1KG ... I needed to think of the weight in backpack for cabin luggage. I wouldn't travel without it!! Bought in PC World for just over £200.
I wouldn't bother with the 3 stick to the 2 it's proven my son has the 3. And says unless you want it for very fine work like circuit diagrams you only need the 2 make sure it is 3G though!
Now I am really tempted -I am in England next week so I will go into PC World - they are very expensive in France and would not have the qwerty layout.
I have worked from home most of my adult life so my computer (a Mac) is located in the place where I have my office. Currently, it's on the top floor at the back of my house. In my last house, it was in the basement at the front. I am tempted by an i-pad but am still thinking about it.
Here 
Well, 'here' is corner of our lounge room. My apple desktop sits in the middle of a chaotic corner desk.
The new iPad (3 I think ) was £400 in the Apple shop and I also bought a small plug thing to enable me to load photos from the memory card - about £25.The case is not the one Apple sell but a leather one which has one of the bendy fronts to use as a rest - it was the same price as the - Apple one but has better protection for the machine. bought that in Currys/PC World.
It would be ideal for travelling GN and the battery life is about 6 hours.
An iPad would be about £400, Greatnan, and I'm sure you know how much I love mine! DH has a net book, which he finds very useful, and which, I think, on your travels, might be more useful for downloading photos etc. mind you, he'd still like an iPad too!
Usually in the sitting room. I rest it on a lap cushion so I don't get hot legs. As of now at this time of morning 9:20am.
Shameful slobbishness I know. I should be up cleaning bath rooms, windows whitening the front doorsteps. baking cakes making jam, polishing the silver?? I only sat at the computer to pay for a book from Ebay. Dreadful things laptops, thieves of time!
My SIL has a 10" netbook Greatnan travels everywhere with him, has been very useful when we have been on holiday together.
I really need to buy something small to take on my travels - just to send/receive e-mails and surf the net.
I have been taking my normal 15" lap top with me but it takes up most of my back pack.
Can anyone recommend something small and not too expensive? Is a tablet what I need?
I usually wait before I buy any new technology until the prices fall - I think my grandson paid nearly £1,000 for his ipad - or would it have been something else - it seems to do everything except make him a cup of tea.
I don't want to spend money on lots of applications that I will never use, like downloading music.
My laptop sits on a desk in the dining room. DH has his upstairs in the dumping ground study.
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »Get our top conversations, latest advice, fantastic competitions, and more, straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.