Gransnet forums

Chat

Kinder Mass Trespass. Eighty years ago today. A tribute

(14 Posts)
imjingl Tue 24-Apr-12 09:33:32

No one can own a mountain

imjingl Tue 24-Apr-12 17:11:04

Just have one little listen.

You'll be singing it for the rest of the evening. smile

Bags Tue 24-Apr-12 17:17:57

My dad used to sing that to us, strumming away on his little Spanish guitar that a monk gave him. smile

I sang it the other weekend in the Ochils.

Hankipanki Tue 24-Apr-12 17:20:52

A long time since I listened to this song, had forgotten how emotive it is.

grannyactivist Tue 24-Apr-12 19:40:49

One of the songs of my youth this - and certainly could be the Anthem of the Wonderful Man; he would agree wholeheartedly that:

There's pleasure in dragging through peat bogs and bragging
Of all the fine walks that you know;
There's even a measure of some kind of pleasure
In wading through ten feet of snow. hmm

Seriously though, I think most of us have reason to applaud those activists who reclaimed the countryside on our behalf.

imjingl Tue 24-Apr-12 19:42:01

Yes!!!! sunshine

imjingl Tue 24-Apr-12 19:43:11

Oh, sorry. Just glad to see someone really getting it. smile

I agree with you granny-a. I think they were pretty brave. But they needed that fresh air.

nightowl Tue 24-Apr-12 20:41:32

I had forgotten this song but it has brought back so many memories! I grew up in South Yorkshire (though it will always be the West Riding) and as a teenager my friends and I used to go youth hostelling around Derbyshire. Now I cannot pretend we were serious walkers and in fact we used to hitch lifts when we got tired but we used to have such a laugh. My dear friend Jill had the most beautiful voice and this is one of the songs she used to sing as we walked.
When we were 18 we booked a cottage in Hathersage to celebrate the end of A levels and our behaviour was so disreputable that we were thrown out of the cottage and ordered to leave Hathersage! We spent that night on the lower slopes of Kinder Scout, wrapped in all our clothes and inside sleeping bags, but we were absolutely frozen. We staggered down into Hathersage the following morning and had a huge fry up in a little cafe before admitting defeat and getting the bus home. Happy days smile
Sadly Jill died 5 years ago but a few of us are still in touch, and they are my family smile smile
And jingl is right I can't stop singing it now!!!

Anagram Tue 24-Apr-12 20:54:52

What a wonderful picture that conjures up, nightowl! I remember Youth Hostelling too - and tramping through the Snowdonia countryside eyeing up the local talent....Oh happy days! grin

nightowl Tue 24-Apr-12 21:25:17

Oh yes Anagram eyeing up the local talent had a lot to do with it, and seeing if we could get young male drivers to stop and give us a lift. We had many very scary drives around country lanes with young lads showing off their driving skills (or lack of) but nothing bothered us then. We had to get them to drop us off some distance from the youth hostels as it was forbidden to arrive by car as I recall.
I do remember my dad telling me about the mass trespass of Kinder and how significant it was, but I didn't really appreciate it until I got older.

Oldgreymare Tue 24-Apr-12 21:37:24

Jingle smile..... and 'round here they're planning to close footpaths/ cycleways on the Longleat Estate...citing 'elf 'n safety! Hrmph!

nightowl Tue 24-Apr-12 21:49:34

Maybe it's time for a gransnet trespass oldgreymare and I nominate jingl to organise us grin

Oldgreymare Tue 24-Apr-12 21:51:56

Perfect!

Humbertbear Sun 13-May-12 22:35:28

Let's not forget that many of the people on Kinder that day also fought the Black Shirts on the streets in the East End