Not a chance at grammar school where I definitely didn't fit in, but I was Head Girl of my Junior School. My schoolwork ethic was very strong and my behaviour was always dependably good so I did expect to be one of the prefects, but I really can't describe the shock and honour it was when the head named me in assembly. I remember running home in the greatest excitement ever to tell my mum, only to find my brother had already told her and her comment was a very bland, "well I expected it - didn't you?"
My duties were mostly about defusing potential playground 'fights', reporting problems with bullying (lots of that in those days) and listening to pupils with problems (lots of those too).
I do remember very clearly that we had a single black girl (Jackie) and a single girl of mixed heritage (Lorraine) in the school and that they were mercilessly bullied and taunted simply because of their colour. Racism was rife and nasty - and the teachers used to say things about them like, 'she's got a chip on her shoulder - she should just ignore the name calling'. I think it was the only downside to my time at junior school, which I otherwise loved.
Gransnet forums
Chat
Join the conversation
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »


I was a prefect in 6th form and House Captain of Tyne (they were all local rivers) still cant understand why I was chosen 


