Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Newly widowed

(108 Posts)
HelterSkelter1 Tue 18-Aug-26 07:07:56

My dear DH died 6 days ago after a long illness. I know from reading these threads over the past 2 years that I have a long journey ahead.

His death was not unexpected, but was still a great shock. He died at home so my feet take me into his room and I expect to see him there.

He was so unwell and the last days in pain so for him it was a release and for us a relief. So final and so hard.

Shelflife Tue 18-Aug-26 09:54:03

Like many others I am thinking of you . ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ’

madeleine45 Tue 18-Aug-26 09:47:09

My sincere condolences to you HelterSkelter. I will be thinking of you and hoping that family and friends are surrounding you with their love. You have loved and cared for him and been there for him all this time, and that makes it so much harder in the beginning, when your days revolved round his needs. Know that your friends on GN are always here for you whatever time of day or night you might need someone around.

fancyflowers Tue 18-Aug-26 09:17:29

I am sorry to hear about your loss HelterSkelter. Be kind to yourself, and accept any offers of help from your friends and family. flowers

Usedtobeblonde Tue 18-Aug-26 09:08:55

Sincere condolences Helterskelter many of us empathise with you.
Stay chatting to us ,we will listen and totally understand.
My Hโ€™s bed was in our dining room and I was unable to eat in there again after he died.
I eventually got rid of all the dining furniture , got a small table and four chairs for the conservatory and have now made a snug ,just for me, in the former dining room.

Aldom Tue 18-Aug-26 08:59:21

My sincere condolences Helteskelter.
Like you I nursed my husband at home. After his death I used to do what you are doing, stand in the room and picture him there.
At the moment you are in the 'gut wrenching ' awfulness of new grief.
I promise you that this dreadful pain will ease, but you will always love, miss and remember your husband.
Keeping you in my thoughts. flowers

Grandmafrench Tue 18-Aug-26 08:53:04

Oh dear lady, so very sad for you. Lean on your family and friends for strength and support and please be kind to yourself now and take things slowly. ๐Ÿ’

Grammaretto Tue 18-Aug-26 08:45:44

So sorry HelterSkelter.
I remember the feeling so well. I kept expecting him to walk in the door. flowers

Fallingstar Tue 18-Aug-26 08:40:45

Thinking of you right now and sending you strength ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ™๐Ÿพ

baubles Tue 18-Aug-26 08:38:09

My condolences HelterSkeltet flowers

MartavTaurus Tue 18-Aug-26 08:35:48

๐Ÿ’ sorry to hear how hard it has been.

Doodledog Tue 18-Aug-26 08:25:06

All best wishes from me, too, HelterSkelter. flowers

granfromafar Tue 18-Aug-26 08:22:00

Sending condolences and love. Hard times ahead. Keep posting on here when you feel you can. flowers

Susan56 Tue 18-Aug-26 08:20:39

I am so sorry for your loss HelterSkelter.Sending you my sincere condolences ๐Ÿ’

jusnoneed Tue 18-Aug-26 08:09:47

Condolences to you, even when it's expected it jolts you when it actually happens. Take care.

Gingster Tue 18-Aug-26 08:05:01

Very early days Helterskelter. Accept help from family and friends. They will help you through it ๐Ÿ’

Lathyrus3 Tue 18-Aug-26 08:03:31

Ah, I absolutely understand about your feet returning to the bedroom and the strangeness of the emptiness there.

It feels so unreal. Iโ€™m sorry for your loss.

๐Ÿ’

NanKate Tue 18-Aug-26 08:01:06

How very sad for you and your family ๐Ÿ’

fancythat Tue 18-Aug-26 08:00:13

I am sorry for your loss.

J52 Tue 18-Aug-26 07:55:20

Sending condolences. ๐Ÿ’

HelterSkelter1 Tue 18-Aug-26 07:54:35

Thank you for your kind posts. I know you understand how I am feeling.

kittylester Tue 18-Aug-26 07:46:25

Sending love abd condolences, Helterskelter. You know you can talk to us if it helps.

nanaK54 Tue 18-Aug-26 07:41:02

Sending kindest thoughts to you flowers

Spinnaker Tue 18-Aug-26 07:38:24

Condolences at this very sad time for you and your family. Be kind to yourself always ๐ŸŒบ

karmalady Tue 18-Aug-26 07:37:40

Dear Helerskelter1 I am so sorry for your loss

monk08 Tue 18-Aug-26 07:36:08

flowers