Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Newly widowed

(108 Posts)
HelterSkelter1 Tue 18-Aug-26 07:07:56

My dear DH died 6 days ago after a long illness. I know from reading these threads over the past 2 years that I have a long journey ahead.

His death was not unexpected, but was still a great shock. He died at home so my feet take me into his room and I expect to see him there.

He was so unwell and the last days in pain so for him it was a release and for us a relief. So final and so hard.

Cressy Tue 18-Aug-26 21:03:39

Although expected, it will still be hard to believe. Acceptance will come with time but in the meantime be very gentle and compassionate to yourself. So sorry Helterskelter xx

hollysteers Tue 18-Aug-26 20:17:56

Wishing you strength in the coming days HelterSkelter

Nell82 Tue 18-Aug-26 19:53:29

I'm so sorry HelterSkelter

MollyNew Tue 18-Aug-26 19:18:15

My condolences HelterSkelter flowers

appletree21 Tue 18-Aug-26 17:37:30

Thinking of you Helterskelter and sending you hugs xxxxx . Each day will get a little easier but it takes a long time to accept and adjust..🤗

Georgesgran Tue 18-Aug-26 17:29:33

💐 Sorry for your loss HelterSkelter

AGAA4 Tue 18-Aug-26 17:04:47

So sorry for your loss HelterSkelter.
Many of us have been where you are now. Look after yourself 💐

TerriBull Tue 18-Aug-26 16:51:12

I am so very sorry for your loss. Just sending kind thoughts and condolences to you and your family flowers

pably15 Tue 18-Aug-26 16:10:35

so very sorry to hear this, even when you know it will happen ,you are never prepared for the terrible feelings of loss.
Take care

Jaxjacky Tue 18-Aug-26 16:03:00

So sorry HelterSkelter no rush, go gently x

Elusivebutterfly Tue 18-Aug-26 15:14:50

I am sorry for your loss.

rafichagran Tue 18-Aug-26 14:57:34

flowers

Susie42 Tue 18-Aug-26 14:53:08

Condolences to you. I have some idea of how you're feeling as my DH died about six weeks ago after a very short illness. There's some very wise words given by others on this site.

JdotJ Tue 18-Aug-26 14:41:54

Sorry for your loss x

SueDonim Tue 18-Aug-26 14:39:20

I’m so sorry, Helterskelter That’s roughly the same time frame as my Dh and me. It’s a long time together and then suddenly, even when it’s expected, your world has lurched violently on its axis and you have to find a new balance. flowers

I’m a few months down the line from you and I am still not sure what that balance will look like. I don’t think there’s any one size fits all advice in this situation, except for suggesting that you don’t be rushed into any decisions. Take as much time as you need.

Thinking of you very much. Xx

Ziplok Tue 18-Aug-26 14:37:11

I’m so sorry to hear this Helterskelter and send you my condolences 💐

spottybook Tue 18-Aug-26 14:25:56

Sincere condolences to you and the family

crazyH Tue 18-Aug-26 14:20:43

Sincere condolences flowers

HelterSkelter1 Tue 18-Aug-26 14:17:51

Thank you everyone. We met 56 years ago and married for 53.
Such a long time, but it all seems like yesterday. Happy times and problem times. That's life. Would do it again but some things differently now I look back. I expect he would say the same.
Thank you again. Kind words.

Iam64 Tue 18-Aug-26 10:51:47

Sincere condolences HelterSkelter. Be kind, gentle and patient with yourself. The death of our life partners is so significant, it’s hard to find words for. When my husband died I posted a similar thread title to yours. I received so many kind, wise comments from other gransnetters.
Bellasnana puts it well, you learn that grief will never leave but that somehow we learn to walk with it. I am forever grateful that I met my husband at the right time for both of us. 42 good years together

Bellasnana Tue 18-Aug-26 10:39:59

So sorry to hear your news. My heart hurts for you as I remember only too well those early days when the world kept turning but mine was shattered. It is eleven years for me. You learn to carry the grief with you, it escapes every so often, but it never really leaves. Life carries on in a different way, one small step at a time. My heartfelt condolences to you and all who loved your dear husband. May he rest in peace.💐

ixion Tue 18-Aug-26 10:08:34

Saddened to hear your news, HelterSkelter1.

Thinking of you at this difficult time💐

Greyduster Tue 18-Aug-26 10:03:00

I’m so sorry for your loss, Helterskelter - very early days for you on this hardest and longest of all roads to tread, but, in time you’ll learn to make small adjustments, in your heart and in your head, that will enable you to move forward. And he’ll always be there to help you💐.

Witzend Tue 18-Aug-26 09:57:31

I’m so sorry. 💐xx

Cossy Tue 18-Aug-26 09:54:52

Sending you a big hug and both condolences for your loss and good positive wishes for your new future, Heltershelter

Sending gentle hugs flowers