Luckygirl3
For me it has not faded away. It is not front and centre of my life now, but is a background pain. I have no expectation that it will go away. I get on with my daily life of course, but when your life's partner is no longer there each day is a reminder. It cannot be otherwise.
... but is a background pain
Yes, this.
I lost my partner last August. People think I am grieving a little less, that I have come to terms with the loss and am 'getting on with life'.
Nothing could be further from the truth - I say little, just smile when they offer well-meant advice and thoughts.
Because each day is a reminder; we met in our late forties - both having previously endured abusive relationships, his physical - and we became each other's 'safe person'. So each day the full impact of what I have lost accumulates... it hurts more, not less.
Sometimes, the background pain becomes an immediate throat-choking feeling of despair, I can never again be the person I was when he was part of my life.