Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Photos of casket at Crematorium posted on Facebook

(91 Posts)
Foxglove77 Tue 22-Sept-26 18:25:59

I am so angry right now. We had a lovely funeral service for our dear Mum yesterday. My eldest brother has gone back into the Crematorium after the service and taken several photos of our Mum in her casket on the plinth and posted them on Facebook.

I know you can't see her body but even so, its so disrespectful. Poor Mum would be devastated. It's not like she was able to give her permission.

AIBU to be furious with his actions?

Kitty55 Thu 24-Sept-26 11:32:08

He should have asked family before posting on FB. So thoughtless of him. Sorry for you loss x

win Thu 24-Sept-26 13:08:05

Foxglove77

M0nica really? He's taken covert photos of our Mum in her casket and plastered them all over Facebook! Would you not find photos of your loved ones in their coffin on social media distasteful? He could have made a tribute to the many photos of her when she was alive.

definitely not distasteful, this is very acceptable these days. all our family takes photos and share but usually ask people in the family fist if they wish to see the photos before sending. Everyone grieves differently he needs to share his grief. You do it your way.

win Thu 24-Sept-26 13:11:23

Astitchintime

I’d be angry and upset too Foxglove77 and if he were my brother he would be feeling the sharp end of my tongue!

Why do people have to be so insensitive…….I have even seen photos this week on SM of someone’s stillborn baby…….by all means, have photos for personal use but don’t plaster them all over ! Don’t get me wrong, I genuinely feel for the bereaved parents and relatives but why….????

As I have said previously, it is just peoples' way of grieving they wish to share with family and friends. and to get their support. People notify funeral, death, everything on social mjedia now and attach photos too. It is the modern way of doing things, like it or not. He has as much right to his way as you do to yours.

Daddima Thu 24-Sept-26 15:30:52

You know, once again I get the distinct impression that nobody reads posts from other people!
From what I have read, it was a picture of a wicker coffin on a plinth. Others seem to have come to a different conclusion. So, was it-

a) A picture of a wicker coffin, or -
b) A picture of his mother, inside a wicker coffin?

I hope this has not upset Foxglove further.

Foxglove77 Thu 24-Sept-26 16:53:15

Yes my brother took photos of Mum's willow casket on the plinth. The casket was closed. The curtains stayed open as the family requested, again Mum was claustrophobic and we didn't want to shut her in. I didn't see anyone take photos during or after the service, and we all exited at the end. Therefore I presume he went back in to take the photos.

I haven't felt the need to post any photos of the funeral. It was a carefully planned funeral service I hope Mum would have loved.
I miss her so very much but will choose to remember her when she was alive, not after death.
My brother declined to offer even one word in tribute.

Oldnproud Thu 24-Sept-26 18:59:18

Reported

butterandjam Thu 24-Sept-26 21:05:03

Foxglove77

Witzend I am from the UK. I refer to the coffin as a casket as it was a willow casket. Mum was claustrophobic and had a fear of being nailed in a wooden coffin. We chose an oval willow casket so it did not resemble a coffin and was only held down by toggles.

It was a lovely service and this has upset me. There was no streaming of the service requested by anyone not there.

Foxglove, now you have described the casket , I wonder if its design and material is WHY he posted a picture of it. ?

Because it's such a special and lovely tribute to your mother's last wishes.

M0nica Thu 24-Sept-26 22:49:00

I confess I have always used the word 'coffin'as that is the word I have always heard other people use. I thought 'casket' was an Americanism.

win Thu 24-Sept-26 23:03:22

A wicker basket used for a funeral is officially called a wicker coffin or basket casket (often more specifically referred to as a willow coffin, since willow is the most common woven material used).

NotSpaghetti Thu 24-Sept-26 23:52:37

I'm sorry you felt your brother should have offered some words in tribute and this seensto have added further to your upset - but maybe he felt he couldn't?

Not everyone is able to speak at a funeral.
The love can still be there.

FoghornLeghorn Fri 25-Sept-26 03:58:00

Oldnproud

Reported

Why?

Aldom Fri 25-Sept-26 05:44:49

Foghorn the reported post has been removed by HQ I think.

Oldnproud Fri 25-Sept-26 15:25:05

FoghornLeghorn

Oldnproud

Reported

Why?

Aldom is right, the post I reported and that was then deleted post was spam.
In fact there were multiple spam messages from same source, and this was not the only thread that was being targeted.

MawsRosie Fri 25-Sept-26 15:33:36

I do prefer the traditional English word”coffin”
A casket to me is something else.

DiamondLily Wed 30-Sept-26 07:20:10

Really crass to take any photos at a funeral. 🙄. Even worse to put them on social media.

I would have gone nuts if anyone had tried that at DH's funeral.