Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How should I deal with this

(32 Posts)
Madwoman11 Sat 19-Sept-26 13:50:20

This may sound very petty and insignificant but it is really upsetting me.
I had a fall out with two local women and since then when I bump into them they are quiet intimidating. They glare at me constantly if I'm in a shop.
This nastiness has nearly made me housebound because it upsets me so much.
I had very good reason to fall out with them which I don't want to go into.
I would never be able to forgive these women for what they have put me through.

Mattsmum2 Sat 19-Sept-26 14:04:25

They’re bullying you. They want a reaction by the sounds of it. Hold your head up high, say hello, smile and walk on. They will soon tire of things once they see you’re not reacting. You’re are far better than them. Have you got other friends you can shop with? Take care and be strong x

Wheniwasyourage Sat 19-Sept-26 14:11:05

Excellent advice from Mattsmum2! It isn't you who has done something wrong - it's the other women. Perhaps they wouldn't be so brave if they weren't together. Good luck! flowers

AuntieE Sat 19-Sept-26 14:14:12

My great-grandma would probably have stuck her tongue out at them.

Give it a try.

Fallingstar Sat 19-Sept-26 14:18:50

It doesn’t sound petty or insignificant, and I imagine how upsetting it must be. But some good advice given, make sure you don’t shy away from these women, if you see them just walk straight past them eyes straight ahead, even if you don’t feel confident try to give an air of confidence.
Don’t let them cause even more trouble by staying indoors. If they think they have succeeded in bullying you into staying away they could do this to someone else. And as has been said, like all bullies they will lose interest once you are not reacting the way they want you to react.
All the best and remember you can do this, you really can 💐💐

pably15 Sat 19-Sept-26 14:40:41

good advice given, bullying you because they're together,
keep cool, they want you to react, just walk past as if they weren't there..you will win...they'll get fed up because you are not responding.

butterandjam Sat 19-Sept-26 14:42:08

They glare at me constantly if I'm in a shop.

To know that, you must be constantly watching them.

Just stop looking at them. Then you won't know they are looking t you.

Cossy Sat 19-Sept-26 14:58:25

Fallingstar

It doesn’t sound petty or insignificant, and I imagine how upsetting it must be. But some good advice given, make sure you don’t shy away from these women, if you see them just walk straight past them eyes straight ahead, even if you don’t feel confident try to give an air of confidence.
Don’t let them cause even more trouble by staying indoors. If they think they have succeeded in bullying you into staying away they could do this to someone else. And as has been said, like all bullies they will lose interest once you are not reacting the way they want you to react.
All the best and remember you can do this, you really can 💐💐

I absolutely agree.

Hold you head up high, and however bad or sad or intimidated these two worthless beings make you feel inside, outside march on by them, as if you have no care in the world.

If you can, take a friend with you!

teabagwoman Sat 19-Sept-26 16:39:47

What a rotten couple of bullies they are. Good advice up thread. Maybe not easy to follow but you can do it.

Plevey08 Sat 19-Sept-26 16:48:57

I'd almost want to do the opposite....walk past them,, smile and say 'Morning'. Be as confident as you can and walk on by. It will wrong-foot them. They'll be shocked! Especially as they think they have the upper hand.

gracefulllama Sat 19-Sept-26 16:59:44

I know it's hard, but this is bullying. I've had it, too, in the way you describe. My advice is to rise above it. If you see them, ignore them. They only persist because you react. No reaction from you will soon make them look and feel very silly. There's always the possibility that you can avoid them if necessary - after all, you're not stuck in school with them or anything like that. You're a free woman and can go where you choose. In my case, it faded away when the cause of the rift moved away and one person became quite friendly. However, while I keep it polite, I would never trust this person, and I keep my distance.

CarrotTop Sat 19-Sept-26 19:22:20

They sound like thoroughly inadequate failures (often the basic character of bullies). It's just a pity they have each other - I bet if there was only one, she wouldn't have the guts to keep it up. They'll probably fall out with each other in the end but, until then, keep your pecker up and don't let yourself sink down to their level. They'll hate that but won't be able to do anything about it. flowers

Esmay Sat 19-Sept-26 19:44:05

When a neighbour watered his garden and washed his car during a water shortage-I reminded him of the shortage.
He's gone into hyoerdrive to be unpleasant.
I smile and wave .
He did a lot of glaring yesterday.
His wife has asked me when I'm moving .
Take a deep breath and brazen it out.
Bless you.
They are just bullies .
Don't let them intimidate you.
Wishing you luck .
Esmay X

Allsorts Sat 19-Sept-26 19:57:45

You had a lucky escape. Who wants to be with two bullies. If you bump into them, hold your head high as if they are strangers. You hold the power.

SpinDriftCoastal Sat 19-Sept-26 20:48:01

I am really sorry that you are having to go through this. This really reflects on these two women as adults behaving like this. It is the behaviour of the mean girls at school, therefore they are behaving like children which does not say much about them. I would learn to stick my nose in the air, stand up to your full height and just ignore them. A neighbour of mine tried to bully me in a local shop over which till I was supposed to use. That was two years ago. I have not spoken to her since even if she walks past me. I look up at a chimney, tree top, or something high and just walk on past. The more you do it, the better you get.

Ziplok Sun 20-Sept-26 08:12:27

I’m sorry that you are experiencing this unpleasant, intimidating behaviour from these two women. However, there’s a lot of good advice upthread. I think if you are brave enough when they glare at you, give a brief but firm good morning/afternoon with a smile and walk on by. It will, as a poster says, wrong foot them.
However, if you feel that you can’t do this, then just walk on by, head held high, do what you have to do at your own pace and don’t allow them to feel they have gained the upper hand by you rushing away - if you do that, they will continue their childish behaviour, but if you show that you don’t care (even though, inside, you do), then they will soon tire of their rather pathetic behaviour. 💐
Oh, and well done for standing up to them in the first instance when you fell out with them - this in itself proves that you are stronger than you might be feeling at the moment.

Gwyllt Sun 20-Sept-26 08:46:47

It really is playground stuff bet anything they were bullies at school Easier said than done but just ignore and move on Soon enough they will focus their tactics on someone else

eazybee Sun 20-Sept-26 09:16:34

You have fallen out with two women.
They are intimidating you.
You say you would never be able to forgive them.
Stalemate, unless you ignore them and the episode and move on.

Madwoman11 Sun 20-Sept-26 12:04:23

Thank you all so much for your words of advice it means such a lot to me thanks

crazyH Sun 20-Sept-26 12:10:23

I thought bullying only happened on the school playground .
Ignore them and concentrate on your true friends flowers

Smileless2012 Sun 20-Sept-26 12:21:34

Agree with everyone whose responded Madwoman. Smile and say 'good morning/afternoon' and if you can't walk past with your head held high flowers.

Shinamae Sun 20-Sept-26 12:27:57

I bet if you saw one of them on their own, they wouldn’t be so nasty. They would probably try to avoid you then…

Cossy Sun 20-Sept-26 13:19:04

Shinamae

I bet if you saw one of them on their own, they wouldn’t be so nasty. They would probably try to avoid you then…

I agree, cannot abide bullies. thanks

midgey Sun 20-Sept-26 13:45:31

Smile and say good morning or whatever, that will annoy them so much!

Chocolatelovinggran Sun 20-Sept-26 16:17:01

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience, Madwoman. I'm with those who say hold your head high, smile brightly, and sweep past.
Bullies prefer their subject to look cowed.